does XP support multiple remote desktop connections?

August 18, 2004 2:46:04 PM

I am using dual monitors for work productivity. When I
use the remote desktop, I can't get it to span both
monitors end-to-end. I can drag between both screens and
even leave it between screens but it wont maximize to
cover both screens. The remote desktop screen seems to be
limited in width. How can I view the remote desktop on
both screens?

Also, I would like to know if Windows XP Home supports
multiple remote desktop connections at the same time?

Thanks for you help!
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 2:17:41 AM

Several things here:

1. Remote Desktop is limited to single monitor support only.
2. Remote Desktop is limited to 1600x1200 (hard limit due to the RDP
protocol).
3. Windows XP Pro supports a single interactive user only. Thus the
single connection limitation. There are programs that can extend
this, but YMMV...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:46:04 -0700, "hrricane34"

>I am using dual monitors for work productivity. When I
>use the remote desktop, I can't get it to span both
>monitors end-to-end. I can drag between both screens and
>even leave it between screens but it wont maximize to
>cover both screens. The remote desktop screen seems to be
>limited in width. How can I view the remote desktop on
>both screens?
>
>Also, I would like to know if Windows XP Home supports
>multiple remote desktop connections at the same time?
>
>Thanks for you help!
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:03:14 PM

Jeffrey,

Thank you very much for your explanation. But can you
please elaborate on the programs that can may be able to
help me?

Thank you!

benefit
>of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may
not
>be answered depending on time availability....
>
>Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>Windows XP Expert Zone -
>
>On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:46:04 -0700, "hrricane34"
>
>>I am using dual monitors for work productivity. When I
>>use the remote desktop, I can't get it to span both
>>monitors end-to-end. I can drag between both screens
and
>>even leave it between screens but it wont maximize to
>>cover both screens. The remote desktop screen seems to
be
>>limited in width. How can I view the remote desktop on
>>both screens?
>>
>>Also, I would like to know if Windows XP Home supports
>>multiple remote desktop connections at the same time?
>>
>>Thanks for you help!
>
>.

August 20, 2004 2:51:02 PM

***Remote Desktop also allows more than one user to have active sessions on a
single computer. This means that multiple users can leave their applications
running and preserve the state of their Windows session even while others are
logged on.***

See I saw that and thought the same thing, that it meant there would be able
to be more then one person connected to the remote desktop at the same time.
Guess the wording that MS uses sometimes leads you to think something that
may not be.

"hrricane34" wrote:

> Jeffrey,
>
> Thank you very much for your explanation. But can you
> please elaborate on the programs that can may be able to
> help me?
>
> Thank you!

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 11:59:04 PM

In a Windows 2003 Server environment, yes - multiple users work fine..
For Windows XP, it will allow only a single interactive session...

Where did you see the first wording?

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:51:02 -0700, "Darrell1968"
<Darrell1968@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>***Remote Desktop also allows more than one user to have active sessions on a
>single computer. This means that multiple users can leave their applications
>running and preserve the state of their Windows session even while others are
>logged on.***
>
>See I saw that and thought the same thing, that it meant there would be able
>to be more then one person connected to the remote desktop at the same time.
>Guess the wording that MS uses sometimes leads you to think something that
>may not be.
>
>"hrricane34" wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey,
>>
>> Thank you very much for your explanation. But can you
>> please elaborate on the programs that can may be able to
>> help me?
>>
>> Thank you!

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 4:06:12 AM

With Fast User Switching in use, multiple users have active sessions, and
the apps in those sessions are running, and the state of the windows session
is preserved.

However, only one user can be logged on---i.e. viewing their current
session, at a given moment. That user can be either at the physical
console, or connected via Remote Desktop.

Strictly speaking, it isn't RD that allows this, it is Terminal Services.

"Darrell1968" <Darrell1968@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ***Remote Desktop also allows more than one user to have active sessions
> on a
> single computer. This means that multiple users can leave their
> applications
> running and preserve the state of their Windows session even while others
> are
> logged on.***
>
> See I saw that and thought the same thing, that it meant there would be
> able
> to be more then one person connected to the remote desktop at the same
> time.
> Guess the wording that MS uses sometimes leads you to think something that
> may not be.
>
> "hrricane34" wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey,
>>
>> Thank you very much for your explanation. But can you
>> please elaborate on the programs that can may be able to
>> help me?
>>
>> Thank you!

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 12:10:48 AM

Yes, this "workaround" allows an experience more similar to what you
get in Win2K3.... There is also a product at Thinsoft that allows you
to do something similar...

However, keep your EULA in mind in these cases...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:33:29 -0400, "Sean" <scd@ourfamilyzoo.net>
wrote:

>Check This out though:
>
>http://www.winbeta.org/forums/index.php?s=07b2070f76bc1...
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 1:50:34 AM

I suspect if that worked with released SP2, we'd have heard about it by now.
I wouldn't want to be running that version at this point.

If you have access to one of the publicly released Longhorn builds, this
works under Longhorn--some other things don't though.

"Sean" <scd@ourfamilyzoo.net> wrote in message
> Check This out though:
>
> http://www.winbeta.org/forums/index.php?s=07b2070f76bc1...
>
> --
> Don't have the need for a full time IT staff, Contact Sean.
> For all of your IT needs SCD@ourfamilyzoo.net.

September 4, 2004 12:43:48 PM

Thin Soft Product works, I use it.

--