Shutdown from Terminal Service connection

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi

When connecting to WinXP via Terminal Service, the Shutdown option is
missing from the Start menu. It is instead replaced by Disconnect.

Is there a way to force the Shutdown option back?

Regards
Morten Frederiksen
7 answers Last reply
More about shutdown terminal service connection
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    You can open a command prompt or run command and use the shutdown command

    Shutdown -r Reboots in 30 seconds
    Shutdown -s Shuts down in 30 seconds

    you can adjust the time before shutdown or reboot by adding the -t argument

    ie: shutdown -r -t 10
    Reboots after 10 seconds

    "Morten Frederiksen" <mail@no.spam> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > When connecting to WinXP via Terminal Service, the Shutdown option is
    > missing from the Start menu. It is instead replaced by Disconnect.
    >
    > Is there a way to force the Shutdown option back?
    >
    > Regards
    > Morten Frederiksen

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Bring up the task manager, then under the shutdown menu choose what you
    want.
    Or start, run, type in: %windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -s -t 05, hit enter.

    "Morten Frederiksen" <mail@no.spam> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > When connecting to WinXP via Terminal Service, the Shutdown option is
    > missing from the Start menu. It is instead replaced by Disconnect.
    >
    > Is there a way to force the Shutdown option back?
    >
    > Regards
    > Morten Frederiksen
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    "Phil" <comingsoon@philcosoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Bring up the task manager, then under the shutdown menu choose what you
    > want.
    > Or start, run, type in: %windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -s -t 05, hit
    enter.

    Thanks, but I tried that one. The users does, for some reason, not have
    rights to do this.

    Anyway, it is still possible to shutdown via Start -> Settings -> Windows
    Security, but since the regular users of the computers in question are not
    experts (well, far from it actually), I would prefer if Shutdown was in the
    usual place in order to avoid confusion.

    Regards
    Morten Frederiksen
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    > "Phil" <comingsoon@philcosoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    >> Bring up the task manager, then under the shutdown menu choose what
    >> you want.
    >> Or start, run, type in: %windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -s -t 05, hit
    >> enter.
    >
    > Thanks, but I tried that one. The users does, for some reason, not
    > have rights to do this.
    >
    > Anyway, it is still possible to shutdown via Start -> Settings ->
    > Windows Security, but since the regular users of the computers in
    > question are not experts (well, far from it actually), I would prefer
    > if Shutdown was in the usual place in order to avoid confusion.
    >
    > Regards
    > Morten Frederiksen

    In a remote desktop session it can't be put in the "normal" place. The users
    have to learn to use it like it is. Either use windows security or right
    click task bar, task manager and use the shutdown menu.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    As far as I know, there is no way to restore this option to the start menu.
    I have this same problem with a few of my users. For some of them I just
    made a shortcut with the commands I posted earlier and placed them above
    programs on the start menu.

    Jeff

    "Morten Frederiksen" <mail@no.spam> wrote in message
    > "Phil" <comingsoon@philcosoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > > Bring up the task manager, then under the shutdown menu choose what you
    > > want.
    > > Or start, run, type in: %windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -s -t 05, hit
    > enter.
    >
    > Thanks, but I tried that one. The users does, for some reason, not have
    > rights to do this.
    >
    > Anyway, it is still possible to shutdown via Start -> Settings -> Windows
    > Security, but since the regular users of the computers in question are not
    > experts (well, far from it actually), I would prefer if Shutdown was in
    the
    > usual place in order to avoid confusion.
    >
    > Regards
    > Morten Frederiksen

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    > In a remote desktop session it can't be put in the "normal" place. The
    users
    > have to learn to use it like it is. Either use windows security or right
    > click task bar, task manager and use the shutdown menu.

    Do you know of any reason why this is so?

    Anyway, thanks for the help.

    Regards
    Morten Frederiksen
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I guess if you look at it from the perspective of what it was built
    for...administrators connection to client machines...the administrator would
    know about the shutdown command, where if a "normal" user were using the
    connection, would you really want them remotely rebooting and shutting down
    a machine?

    > "Phil" <comingsoon@philcosoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > >
    > > In a remote desktop session it can't be put in the "normal" place. The
    > users
    > > have to learn to use it like it is. Either use windows security or right
    > > click task bar, task manager and use the shutdown menu.
    >
    > Do you know of any reason why this is so?
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for the help.
    >
    > Regards
    > Morten Frederiksen

Terminal Connection Microsoft Shutdown Windows XP