VPN Between two XP computers

I have a Win XP Home, at home, and Win XP Pro. at work. How do I set up a
VPN between them.(Have cable at home and DSL at work with a wireless router)
I would like to be able to navigate from both computers, so that I could get
files from the other computer. Regardles if I'm home or at work. I hope that
it is possible.
8 answers Last reply
More about computers

    See http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm for
    information on how to setup the VPN server (either or both can do
    this). Note that you would need to configure your router and/or
    firewall to allow TCP Port 1723 and GRE to passthrough to the server
    computer (see http://www.portforward.com for information on how to do
    this).

    Then refer to http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm for
    information on how to set up the client side of the VPN connection.
    You will need to use the public or WAN/ISP address for the server
    computer when you setup this connection.

    That's about it.. Once you have the connection establish, connect to
    the server computer by specifying \\IPADDRESS\SHARENAME where the
    IPADDRESS is the PRIVATE or LAN address.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:45:02 -0700, olsenbanden2
    <olsenbanden2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >VPN Between two XP computers
    >I have a Win XP Home, at home, and Win XP Pro. at work. How do I set up a
    >VPN between them.(Have cable at home and DSL at work with a wireless router)
    >I would like to be able to navigate from both computers, so that I could get
    >files from the other computer. Regardles if I'm home or at work. I hope that
    >it is possible.

    Thank you Jeffrey,
    that should get me started, One question, does it matter who is initiating
    the VPN session? Can both the server and the client start a VPN session and
    is there any response needed from the client or server when a VPN session is
    started.
    Thank you,
    John

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > See http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm for
    > information on how to setup the VPN server (either or both can do
    > this). Note that you would need to configure your router and/or
    > firewall to allow TCP Port 1723 and GRE to passthrough to the server
    > computer (see http://www.portforward.com for information on how to do
    > this).
    >
    > Then refer to http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm for
    > information on how to set up the client side of the VPN connection.
    > You will need to use the public or WAN/ISP address for the server
    > computer when you setup this connection.
    >
    > That's about it.. Once you have the connection establish, connect to
    > the server computer by specifying \\IPADDRESS\SHARENAME where the
    > IPADDRESS is the PRIVATE or LAN address.
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:45:02 -0700, olsenbanden2
    > <olsenbanden2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >VPN Between two XP computers
    > >I have a Win XP Home, at home, and Win XP Pro. at work. How do I set up a
    > >VPN between them.(Have cable at home and DSL at work with a wireless router)
    > >I would like to be able to navigate from both computers, so that I could get
    > >files from the other computer. Regardles if I'm home or at work. I hope that
    > >it is possible.

    Either machine can act as the client. You will need to specify a
    valid username and password on the "server" computer and be allowed to
    access via VPN (see the OCG website mentioned earlier for information
    on how to add a user to be allowed to log in).

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:31:26 -0700, olsenbanden2
    <olsenbanden2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thank you Jeffrey,
    >that should get me started, One question, does it matter who is initiating
    >the VPN session? Can both the server and the client start a VPN session and
    >is there any response needed from the client or server when a VPN session is
    >started.
    >Thank you,
    >John
    >
    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> See http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm for
    >> information on how to setup the VPN server (either or both can do
    >> this). Note that you would need to configure your router and/or
    >> firewall to allow TCP Port 1723 and GRE to passthrough to the server
    >> computer (see http://www.portforward.com for information on how to do
    >> this).
    >>
    >> Then refer to http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm for
    >> information on how to set up the client side of the VPN connection.
    >> You will need to use the public or WAN/ISP address for the server
    >> computer when you setup this connection.
    >>
    >> That's about it.. Once you have the connection establish, connect to
    >> the server computer by specifying \\IPADDRESS\SHARENAME where the
    >> IPADDRESS is the PRIVATE or LAN address.
    >>
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>
    >> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:45:02 -0700, olsenbanden2
    >> <olsenbanden2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >VPN Between two XP computers
    >> >I have a Win XP Home, at home, and Win XP Pro. at work. How do I set up a
    >> >VPN between them.(Have cable at home and DSL at work with a wireless router)
    >> >I would like to be able to navigate from both computers, so that I could get
    >> >files from the other computer. Regardles if I'm home or at work. I hope that
    >> >it is possible.

    Thank you Jeffery,
    I have tested it on my local network (My laptop with a wireless PCMCIA Card
    and the desktop) and that works, but only when I give the 192.168.*.* address
    for the server. I was wondering if that will be enough to find it on the
    WWW. Or is there another setting when you are not on the same network (like
    in two different cities) that has to be given. My ISP's are issuing Dynamic
    IP Addresses, so there will only be the 192.168.*.* address that can be
    Static.
    John

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > Either machine can act as the client. You will need to specify a
    > valid username and password on the "server" computer and be allowed to
    > access via VPN (see the OCG website mentioned earlier for information
    > on how to add a user to be allowed to log in).
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:31:26 -0700, olsenbanden2
    > <olsenbanden2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Thank you Jeffrey,
    > >that should get me started, One question, does it matter who is initiating
    > >the VPN session? Can both the server and the client start a VPN session and
    > >is there any response needed from the client or server when a VPN session is
    > >started.
    > >Thank you,
    > >John
    > >
    > >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> See http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm for
    > >> information on how to setup the VPN server (either or both can do
    > >> this). Note that you would need to configure your router and/or
    > >> firewall to allow TCP Port 1723 and GRE to passthrough to the server
    > >> computer (see http://www.portforward.com for information on how to do
    > >> this).
    > >>
    > >> Then refer to http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm for
    > >> information on how to set up the client side of the VPN connection.
    > >> You will need to use the public or WAN/ISP address for the server
    > >> computer when you setup this connection.
    > >>
    > >> That's about it.. Once you have the connection establish, connect to
    > >> the server computer by specifying \\IPADDRESS\SHARENAME where the
    > >> IPADDRESS is the PRIVATE or LAN address.
    > >>
    > >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    > >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    > >>
    > >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    > >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    > >> be answered depending on time availability....
    > >>
    > >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    > >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    > >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

    Let us know if it works over the internet. I have been advised that it
    won't.

    Brian

    "olsenbanden2" <olsenbanden2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you Jeffery,
    > I have tested it on my local network (My laptop with a wireless PCMCIA
    > Card
    > and the desktop) and that works, but only when I give the 192.168.*.*
    > address
    > for the server. I was wondering if that will be enough to find it on the
    > WWW. Or is there another setting when you are not on the same network
    > (like
    > in two different cities) that has to be given. My ISP's are issuing
    > Dynamic
    > IP Addresses, so there will only be the 192.168.*.* address that can be
    > Static.
    > John
    >
    > "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Either machine can act as the client. You will need to specify a
    >> valid username and password on the "server" computer and be allowed to
    >> access via VPN (see the OCG website mentioned earlier for information
    >> on how to add a user to be allowed to log in).
    >>
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>
    >> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:31:26 -0700, olsenbanden2
    >> <olsenbanden2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Thank you Jeffrey,
    >> >that should get me started, One question, does it matter who is
    >> >initiating
    >> >the VPN session? Can both the server and the client start a VPN session
    >> >and
    >> >is there any response needed from the client or server when a VPN
    >> >session is
    >> >started.
    >> >Thank you,
    >> >John

    I have not been able to as of yet, so I guess that there has to be more to
    the story, to get it to work over the WWW.
    John

    "Brian K" wrote:

    > Let us know if it works over the internet. I have been advised that it
    > won't.
    >
    > Brian
    >

    > "olsenbanden2" <olsenbanden2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you Jeffery,
    > > I have tested it on my local network (My laptop with a wireless PCMCIA
    > > Card
    > > and the desktop) and that works, but only when I give the 192.168.*.*
    > > address
    > > for the server. I was wondering if that will be enough to find it on the
    > > WWW. Or is there another setting when you are not on the same network
    > > (like
    > > in two different cities) that has to be given. My ISP's are issuing
    > > Dynamic
    > > IP Addresses, so there will only be the 192.168.*.* address that can be
    > > Static.
    > > John
    > >
    > > "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Either machine can act as the client. You will need to specify a
    > >> valid username and password on the "server" computer and be allowed to
    > >> access via VPN (see the OCG website mentioned earlier for information
    > >> on how to add a user to be allowed to log in).
    > >>
    > >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    > >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    > >>
    > >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    > >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    > >> be answered depending on time availability....
    > >>
    > >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    > >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    > >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

    Remote Desktop will work in your situation but only from the Pro.

    >I have not been able to as of yet, so I guess that there has to be more to
    > the story, to get it to work over the WWW.
    > John
    >
    > "Brian K" wrote:
    >
    >> Let us know if it works over the internet. I have been advised that it
    >> won't.
    >>
    >> Brian
    >>

    >> "olsenbanden2" <olsenbanden2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you Jeffery,
    >> > I have tested it on my local network (My laptop with a wireless PCMCIA
    >> > Card
    >> > and the desktop) and that works, but only when I give the 192.168.*.*
    >> > address
    >> > for the server. I was wondering if that will be enough to find it on
    >> > the
    >> > WWW. Or is there another setting when you are not on the same network
    >> > (like
    >> > in two different cities) that has to be given. My ISP's are issuing
    >> > Dynamic
    >> > IP Addresses, so there will only be the 192.168.*.* address that can be
    >> > Static.
    >> > John

    You VPN from a machine that has a public address to another public
    address. In most cases you will connect using your dialup or
    broadband adapter with a public IP address to the "server" using its
    public address.

    Don't try to VPN with both sides using private addresses (like what
    you describe).

    When you say your ISP is providing a dynamic address, did they give
    you a router/firewall device for your connection? If so, that is why
    you are seeing a private address. The public IP address of the router
    can be gotten by browsing to http://www.ipaddress.com.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:09:01 -0700, olsenbanden2

Computers VPN Windows XP