Remote connection behind linksys router

Hi,

I have a successfully checked my remote web connection
from my home intranet. Also , I have forwarded ports 80
and 3389 to my server system.
I can get my index page of the IIS web site, and the
initial welcome page of remote web connection .
However when I type the correct local IP(192.168.1.102)
add of the computer, it fails to find the computer and
times out.
Please let me know what could be the problem.

Thanks,
Rohit
6 answers Last reply
More about remote connection linksys router

    I am not an expert, but think I had the same problem.

    After many, many conversations with Linksys, they finally
    suggested I change the IP address to 192.168.2.x rather
    than 192.168.1.x.

    It seems that since my office computer also used an
    address of 192.168.1.x, there was a conflict that
    precluded the connection to my desktop. The initial
    connection to my office worked fine, but could then not
    connect until after I changed the IP address of my router.

    Next mission is to find out how to change routers in
    hotels that create the same problem.

    Good luck.

    Thanks for your reply Arthur. I will try this out in the
    evening, but in my case that may not be the problem.
    My office IP address is totally different from the home IP
    address.

    Rohit

    Either leave the server name blank (preferred) or make sure you are
    using the public IP address in the server name (if you are connecting
    from out on the internet).

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 03:22:42 -0700, "Rohit"

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a successfully checked my remote web connection
    >from my home intranet. Also , I have forwarded ports 80
    >and 3389 to my server system.
    >I can get my index page of the IIS web site, and the
    >initial welcome page of remote web connection .
    >However when I type the correct local IP(192.168.1.102)
    >add of the computer, it fails to find the computer and
    >times out.
    >Please let me know what could be the problem.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Rohit

    I am not sure if I understood you. When the remote
    desktop screen asks for a computer name, are you
    suggesting I should use the public IP of the router ?
    The server itself does not have a public IP, so which
    public IP are you referring to.

    Thanks,
    Rohit

    benefit
    >of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may
    not
    >be answered depending on time availability....
    >
    >Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >Windows XP Expert Zone -
    >
    >On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 03:22:42 -0700, "Rohit"
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a successfully checked my remote web connection
    >>from my home intranet. Also , I have forwarded ports 80
    >>and 3389 to my server system.
    >>I can get my index page of the IIS web site, and the
    >>initial welcome page of remote web connection .
    >>However when I type the correct local IP(192.168.1.102)
    >>add of the computer, it fails to find the computer and
    >>times out.
    >>Please let me know what could be the problem.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Rohit
    >
    >.

    Jeffrey is saying that when you get the initial web based Remote Desktop login screen leave the
    server field blank if the PC is not connected directly to the internet.

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Rohit" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am not sure if I understood you. When the remote
    > desktop screen asks for a computer name, are you
    > suggesting I should use the public IP of the router ?
    > The server itself does not have a public IP, so which
    > public IP are you referring to.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rohit

    In addition to what Sooner Al says - the web client will not allow you
    to connect to other computers behind your NAT firewall device without
    you already being connected to a VPN.

    I.E., if you have a public address of x.x.x.x and have a remote
    desktop server at private address of 192.168.1.20 with proper
    forwarding, you would log onto your Web Client at http://x.x.x.x/tsweb
    and either leave the server name blank or you must use x.x.x.x (i.e.,
    192.168.1.20 will not work). If you want to connect to another XP
    machine on your private LAN whose address is 192.168.1.30, you will
    either need to forward to an alternate port or use a VPN.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 09:12:14 -0700, "Rohit"

    >I am not sure if I understood you. When the remote
    >desktop screen asks for a computer name, are you
    >suggesting I should use the public IP of the router ?
    >The server itself does not have a public IP, so which
    >public IP are you referring to.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Rohit

Routers Connection Computers Linksys Windows XP