newbie Q: home movies to DVD

I am trying to get started converting my home movies (mini-DV) to DVD.
I'm having trouble finding information at a level that I can
understand, and would appreciate some help.

What I want is a simple DVD (+R or -R, my DVD burner and player will
do either), with no fancy effects. I want to have chapter breaks where
I turned the camera off, and be able to see the date/time that the
video was created.

I have Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 (OEM version, with no support),
Ulead VideoStudio 5, and Windows XP with Windows Movie Maker 5.1. I
wouldn't mind buying something else if it's not too expensive, but
feel like I must be missing something, since what I want to do seems
so basic to me.

I've figured out how to capture the video to an .avi file with either
Roxio or Ulead, but it doesn't break it into chapters. I can have them
find the chapter breaks in a second step. I can burn a DVD with
either, but can't see the date/time of the clips, and with Roxio
(which seems to have the most features, so I've spent the most time
playing with it), I can make chapters on the DVD but can't name them
(they're "chapter 1", "chapter 2", etc). If I had separate .avi files,
I could make a menu and name the scenes, but that's not exactly what I
want to do, since I'd have to figure out what date/time each scene was
recorded, and manually enter it. I just opened the .avi file in
Windows Movie Maker, and it automatically detected the scenes, and
shows the date/time. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow me to burn a DVD.

So, does anyone have any advice for me, or can you point me to a
website that won't overwhelm me with details I don't understand? Feel
free to email me directly, at my hotmail.com account, username:
nibiery.

Thanks,
Ingrid

Toni

>Windows Movie Maker, and it automatically detected the scenes, and
>shows the date/time. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow me to burn a DVD.

MovieMaker upgrade, the newer version will burn DVD I believe.

2-Ton Toni

tonitalley1@aol.comspamfree (Toni) wrote in message news:<20041130232951.12009.00001372@mb-m16.aol.com>...
> >Windows Movie Maker, and it automatically detected the scenes, and
> >shows the date/time. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow me to burn a DVD.
>
> MovieMaker upgrade, the newer version will burn DVD I believe.
>

> 2-Ton Toni

I checked, and don't see an upgrade that does DVDs. They even have a
FAQ about how to use MovieMaker to edit the movies and other software
to burn the DVD. But someone else told me she thought you could burn
DVDs with MovieMaker, so maybe I'm missing something?

Ingrid