Connecting to remote desktop thru Putty Tunnel.

I want to connect from my office XP Pro PC to a remote PC through a
Putty (ssh) tunnel.
I have established the tunnel as local port 6503 (for want of a better
number) to the ip:3389 of the remote pc.
When I try use Remote Desktop on my office pc, I put '127.0.0.1:6503'
in the 'computer' field and I keep getting 'The client could not
connect. You are already connected to the console of this computer...'

I have also tried 'localhost:6503'

I checked the Putty event log and my PC has not even tried to
establish a connection through the tunnel, it is ignoring my 'port
nubmer' and connecting to the default, which is my PC, not the remote
one.

I can 'telnet localhost 6503' and obtain a connection, showing that my
tunnel works.

Can anyone help me on this?

....Lyall
6 answers Last reply
More about connecting remote desktop putty tunnel

    Look at this FAQ...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/Default.aspx?tabid=36

    Item 8 in the "Connectivity Issues" section...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Lyall Pearce" <Lyall.Pearce@EDS.com> wrote in message
    >I want to connect from my office XP Pro PC to a remote PC through a
    > Putty (ssh) tunnel.
    > I have established the tunnel as local port 6503 (for want of a better
    > number) to the ip:3389 of the remote pc.
    > When I try use Remote Desktop on my office pc, I put '127.0.0.1:6503'
    > in the 'computer' field and I keep getting 'The client could not
    > connect. You are already connected to the console of this computer...'
    >
    > I have also tried 'localhost:6503'
    >
    > I checked the Putty event log and my PC has not even tried to
    > establish a connection through the tunnel, it is ignoring my 'port
    > nubmer' and connecting to the default, which is my PC, not the remote
    > one.
    >
    > I can 'telnet localhost 6503' and obtain a connection, showing that my
    > tunnel works.
    >
    > Can anyone help me on this?

    > ...Lyall

    Note that this behavior has changed a bit with SP2.. Alternate
    Localhost addresses aren't accessible until a patch is installed...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 19:27:08 -0500, "Sooner Al"
    <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

    >Look at this FAQ...
    >
    >http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/Default.aspx?tabid=36
    >
    >Item 8 in the "Connectivity Issues" section...

    Thank you both, works (for now), until SP2 comes in.

    Jeffrey, It would be nice to know what this 'patch' is or where to find the
    'fixed' remote desktop program (seeing the FAQ had a broken link)

    ....Lyall

    See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5bLN%5d;884020
    for more information...
    :)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:57:02 -0700, Lyall Pearce <Lyall
    Pearce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thank you both, works (for now), until SP2 comes in.
    >
    >Jeffrey, It would be nice to know what this 'patch' is or where to find the
    >'fixed' remote desktop program (seeing the FAQ had a broken link)
    >
    >...Lyall

    Here's the patch involved:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5bLN%5d;884020

    You must call PSS to get it--use the instructions in the article. You will
    not be charged.

    I'm not sure about the other issue you refer to.

    "Lyall Pearce" <Lyall Pearce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you both, works (for now), until SP2 comes in.
    >
    > Jeffrey, It would be nice to know what this 'patch' is or where to find
    > the
    > 'fixed' remote desktop program (seeing the FAQ had a broken link)
    >
    > ...Lyall

    The alternative client is at http://www.wissh.com/

    Which FAQ version did you find the bad link at?

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 00:15:36 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
    <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

    >Here's the patch involved:
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5bLN%5d;884020
    >
    >You must call PSS to get it--use the instructions in the article. You will
    >not be charged.
    >
    >I'm not sure about the other issue you refer to.
    >
    >"Lyall Pearce" <Lyall Pearce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Thank you both, works (for now), until SP2 comes in.
    >>
    >> Jeffrey, It would be nice to know what this 'patch' is or where to find
    >> the
    >> 'fixed' remote desktop program (seeing the FAQ had a broken link)
    >>
    >> ...Lyall

Tunnel Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP