Hard drive noise when Remote Desktop connected

When I connect from my desktop to my laptop using Remote Desktop, my
laptop hard drive starts chugging away, and will continue doing so for
hours. I have disabled the indexing service, my antivirus software
and zone alarm, without fixing this. Any ideas?
John

Are you tight on either disk space or ram? Try unchecking the final setting
on the Experience Options tab--bitmap caching.

That caching action is what I can imagine your described sound might relate
to, but it shouldn't go on forever.

"Chuzz Whozzer" <chuzz76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I connect from my desktop to my laptop using Remote Desktop, my
> laptop hard drive starts chugging away, and will continue doing so for
> hours. I have disabled the indexing service, my antivirus software
> and zone alarm, without fixing this. Any ideas?
> John

Hmm - re-reading, I see that the "chugging" is happening at the host
machine, rather than the client. I'd still try my idea, but I've never sat
and listened to a host to see what happens--let us know!

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> Are you tight on either disk space or ram? Try unchecking the final
> setting on the Experience Options tab--bitmap caching.
>
> That caching action is what I can imagine your described sound might
> relate to, but it shouldn't go on forever.
>
> "Chuzz Whozzer" <chuzz76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> When I connect from my desktop to my laptop using Remote Desktop, my
>> laptop hard drive starts chugging away, and will continue doing so for
>> hours. I have disabled the indexing service, my antivirus software
>> and zone alarm, without fixing this. Any ideas?
>> John

If Fast User Switching is enabled, it will cache everything to disk
when the user logs on (just an idea here)...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:21:45 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>Hmm - re-reading, I see that the "chugging" is happening at the host
>machine, rather than the client. I'd still try my idea, but I've never sat
>and listened to a host to see what happens--let us know!
>
>"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> Are you tight on either disk space or ram? Try unchecking the final
>> setting on the Experience Options tab--bitmap caching.
>>
>> That caching action is what I can imagine your described sound might
>> relate to, but it shouldn't go on forever.
>>
>> "Chuzz Whozzer" <chuzz76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> When I connect from my desktop to my laptop using Remote Desktop, my
>>> laptop hard drive starts chugging away, and will continue doing so for
>>> hours. I have disabled the indexing service, my antivirus software
>>> and zone alarm, without fixing this. Any ideas?
>>> John

Good thought.

Not only will it cache everything, but that other session is still
executing, and probably thrashing back and forth to do so.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:kihii0div6gmsl885rj3i7nb390r5elhk9@4ax.com...
> If Fast User Switching is enabled, it will cache everything to disk
> when the user logs on (just an idea here)...
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:21:45 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>Hmm - re-reading, I see that the "chugging" is happening at the host
>>machine, rather than the client. I'd still try my idea, but I've never
>>sat
>>and listened to a host to see what happens--let us know!
>>
>>"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>>> Are you tight on either disk space or ram? Try unchecking the final
>>> setting on the Experience Options tab--bitmap caching.
>>>
>>> That caching action is what I can imagine your described sound might
>>> relate to, but it shouldn't go on forever.
>>>
>>> "Chuzz Whozzer" <chuzz76@hotmail.com> wrote in message

That's about the only thing I can think of that would cause disk
thrashing when logging on to Remtoe Desktop.

Only other thing I can think of is if there is a roaming profile that
is being copied to the diesk...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:40:59 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"