Offline files not picking up new network files and folders

Hi,

We have two Windows XP Pro laptops where we setup offline files.
Consistently new folders that are created on the network do not get marked
'Make Avavilable Offline' when the laptop syncs with the network. All the
original sync'd folders get sync'd, but no the new ones.

Any ideas how to fix this are greatly appreciated!

Jeff

You need to change a group policy setting to make this work:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdc_mcc_oaiu.asp
for more information why:
http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_dewey/archive/2004/02/06/68811.aspx

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:23:02 -0700, "JAStillwell"
<JAStillwell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We have two Windows XP Pro laptops where we setup offline files.
>Consistently new folders that are created on the network do not get marked
>'Make Avavilable Offline' when the laptop syncs with the network. All the
>original sync'd folders get sync'd, but no the new ones.
>
>Any ideas how to fix this are greatly appreciated!
>
>Jeff

If I read the documentation correctly, Windows XP should already assume that
all sub-folders in an offline folder should be marked to sync:

"In Windows XP Professional all the files in a redirected folder, including
subfolders, are automatically made available offline. "

It appears that the 2 Windows XP laptops that we have setup are doing just
the opposite--they are not marking newly created network folders to be
available offline on the laptops.

I'll double-check the group policies, but since they haven't been modified,
I expect that they should be set to the default.

Jeff

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> You need to change a group policy setting to make this work:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdc_mcc_oaiu.asp
> for more information why:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_dewey/archive/2004/02/06/68811.aspx
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:23:02 -0700, "JAStillwell"
> <JAStillwell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >We have two Windows XP Pro laptops where we setup offline files.
> >Consistently new folders that are created on the network do not get marked
> >'Make Avavilable Offline' when the laptop syncs with the network. All the
> >original sync'd folders get sync'd, but no the new ones.
> >
> >Any ideas how to fix this are greatly appreciated!
> >
> >Jeff

However, you may have Win2K GPs that override this setting... :(

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:23:05 -0700, "JAStillwell"
<JAStillwell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If I read the documentation correctly, Windows XP should already assume that
>all sub-folders in an offline folder should be marked to sync:
>
>"In Windows XP Professional all the files in a redirected folder, including
>subfolders, are automatically made available offline. "
>
>It appears that the 2 Windows XP laptops that we have setup are doing just
>the opposite--they are not marking newly created network folders to be
>available offline on the laptops.
>
>I'll double-check the group policies, but since they haven't been modified,
>I expect that they should be set to the default.
>
>Jeff
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> You need to change a group policy setting to make this work:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdc_mcc_oaiu.asp
>> for more information why:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_dewey/archive/2004/02/06/68811.aspx
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:23:02 -0700, "JAStillwell"
>> <JAStillwell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >We have two Windows XP Pro laptops where we setup offline files.
>> >Consistently new folders that are created on the network do not get marked
>> >'Make Avavilable Offline' when the laptop syncs with the network. All the
>> >original sync'd folders get sync'd, but no the new ones.
>> >
>> >Any ideas how to fix this are greatly appreciated!
>> >
>> >Jeff

Actually, the Group Policy Management Console can tell you whether or
not a domain GP could be forcing the issue...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/gpmc/gpmcintro.mspx

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:23:05 -0700, "JAStillwell"
<JAStillwell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If I read the documentation correctly, Windows XP should already assume that
>all sub-folders in an offline folder should be marked to sync:
>
>"In Windows XP Professional all the files in a redirected folder, including
>subfolders, are automatically made available offline. "
>
>It appears that the 2 Windows XP laptops that we have setup are doing just
>the opposite--they are not marking newly created network folders to be
>available offline on the laptops.
>
>I'll double-check the group policies, but since they haven't been modified,
>I expect that they should be set to the default.
>
>Jeff
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> You need to change a group policy setting to make this work:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdc_mcc_oaiu.asp
>> for more information why:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_dewey/archive/2004/02/06/68811.aspx
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:23:02 -0700, "JAStillwell"
>> <JAStillwell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >We have two Windows XP Pro laptops where we setup offline files.
>> >Consistently new folders that are created on the network do not get marked
>> >'Make Avavilable Offline' when the laptop syncs with the network. All the
>> >original sync'd folders get sync'd, but no the new ones.
>> >
>> >Any ideas how to fix this are greatly appreciated!
>> >
>> >Jeff

Could it have anything to do with the PDC being Windows NT 4 SP6?

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> Actually, the Group Policy Management Console can tell you whether or
> not a domain GP could be forcing the issue...
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/gpmc/gpmcintro.mspx
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:23:05 -0700, "JAStillwell"
> <JAStillwell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >If I read the documentation correctly, Windows XP should already assume that
> >all sub-folders in an offline folder should be marked to sync:
> >
> >"In Windows XP Professional all the files in a redirected folder, including
> >subfolders, are automatically made available offline. "
> >
> >It appears that the 2 Windows XP laptops that we have setup are doing just
> >the opposite--they are not marking newly created network folders to be
> >available offline on the laptops.
> >
> >I'll double-check the group policies, but since they haven't been modified,
> >I expect that they should be set to the default.
> >
> >Jeff
> >
> >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> You need to change a group policy setting to make this work:
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdc_mcc_oaiu.asp
> >> for more information why:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_dewey/archive/2004/02/06/68811.aspx
> >>
> >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
> >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> >>
> >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> >> be answered depending on time availability....
> >>
> >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Well, that rules out classic group policies.. :)

Now to check the ADM templates (which I haven't worked with in
years)...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:19:16 -0700, "JAStillwell"