Sony TRV120 jerky No PC

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My plan is to digitally record all my old VHS family tapes on my Sony
TRV120 camcorder. Once that is done, I'll transfer tape by tape to the
PC and make DVD's. Initially though, just capture the VHS in DV format
to prevent further degredation.

Problem: My TRV120 seems to capture just fine. But, when I playback,
the playback is in a jerky format. Play-pause-play-pause, etc. Imagine
1/8 of a second of play, followed by 1/8 of a second of pause. This is
when I play back digital tapes. When I play back Hi-8 recordings,
there's a whole bucnh of lines showing up. They are NOT in the original

The problem seems intermittent. I saw the problem months ago. Then I
tried the camera again and it seemed to go away. Now its back.

Any ideas???

"Larry" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> My plan is to digitally record all my old VHS family tapes on my Sony
> TRV120 camcorder. Once that is done, I'll transfer tape by tape to the PC
> and make DVD's. Initially though, just capture the VHS in DV format to
> prevent further degredation.
>
> Problem: My TRV120 seems to capture just fine.

How do you know? Did you play the tapes back successfully
on a different machine? IOW, how do you know it is the playack
and not the record function that is the problem?

> But, when I playback, the playback is in a jerky format.
> Play-pause-play-pause, etc. Imagine 1/8 of a second of play, followed by
> 1/8 of a second of pause. This is when I play back digital tapes. When I
> play back Hi-8 recordings, there's a whole bucnh of lines showing up.
> They are NOT in the original
>
> The problem seems intermittent. I saw the problem months ago. Then I
> tried the camera again and it seemed to go away. Now its back.
>
> Any ideas???

10-15 seconds of head cleaner tape would be appropriate.
Have you been using different brands (and/or old) tapes?

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the reply!

>>Problem: My TRV120 seems to capture just fine.
>

> How do you know? Did you play the tapes back successfully
> on a different machine? IOW, how do you know it is the playack
> and not the record function that is the problem?

Well, it started on a vacation in Hawaii. Took video, watched it that
night in the room, everything fine. Went to watch it again the next
night, jerky.

Transferred our wedding from VHS about a month ago. Actually
transferred from the camera via firewire to my PC and made a DVD.
Perfect. Just went to watch the TAPE again today...jerky. The original
is indeed fine.

(By the way, I just checked and the same wedding I transferred cleanly a
month ago transferred jerky today. Like I said, intermittent.)

> 10-15 seconds of head cleaner tape would be appropriate.
> Have you been using different brands (and/or old) tapes?

I do use different brands. I use TDK, Maxell, Sony. Whatever is on
sale at the drug store!

"Larry" wrote ...
> I do use different brands. I use TDK, Maxell, Sony. Whatever is on sale
> at the drug store!

How many hours do you have on the camcorder?
When was the last time you cleaned it?

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Larry wrote:
> My plan is to digitally record all my old VHS family tapes on my Sony
> TRV120 camcorder. Once that is done, I'll transfer tape by tape to the
> PC and make DVD's. Initially though, just capture the VHS in DV format
> to prevent further degredation.
>
> Problem: My TRV120 seems to capture just fine. But, when I playback,
> the playback is in a jerky format. Play-pause-play-pause, etc. Imagine
> 1/8 of a second of play, followed by 1/8 of a second of pause. This is
> when I play back digital tapes. When I play back Hi-8 recordings,
> there's a whole bucnh of lines showing up. They are NOT in the original
>
> The problem seems intermittent. I saw the problem months ago. Then I
> tried the camera again and it seemed to go away. Now its back.
>
> Any ideas???

I have had a successful remedy to my situation so I am detailing what I
did so google can grab it and possibly help someone else...

I bought a head cleaner and ran it, several times in fact. It actually
made the problem a little worse.

I was just about to buy another used one on ebay (luckily I was outbid)
so I did some more searching. I found this link...

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t213914.html

Anyway, I did what the fellow in that link did. I cleaned the heads
again in the "recording" mode. Bingo...I can watch my tapes again.

> Larry wrote:
> > My plan is to digitally record all my old VHS family tapes on my Sony
> > TRV120 camcorder. Once that is done, I'll transfer tape by tape to the
> > PC and make DVD's. Initially though, just capture the VHS in DV format
> > to prevent further degredation.
> >
> > Problem: My TRV120 seems to capture just fine. But, when I playback,
> > the playback is in a jerky format. Play-pause-play-pause, etc. Imagine
> > 1/8 of a second of play, followed by 1/8 of a second of pause. This is
> > when I play back digital tapes. When I play back Hi-8 recordings,
> > there's a whole bucnh of lines showing up. They are NOT in the original
> >
> > The problem seems intermittent. I saw the problem months ago. Then I
> > tried the camera again and it seemed to go away. Now its back.
> >
> > Any ideas???
>

> I have had a successful remedy to my situation so I am detailing what I
> did so google can grab it and possibly help someone else...
>
> I bought a head cleaner and ran it, several times in fact. It actually
> made the problem a little worse.
>
> I was just about to buy another used one on ebay (luckily I was outbid)
> so I did some more searching. I found this link...
>
> http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t213914.html
>
> Anyway, I did what the fellow in that link did. I cleaned the heads
> again in the "recording" mode. Bingo...I can watch my tapes again.

May I suggest that that you transfer your VHS direct to your pc via the
built in TV120 trnscoding capability as there is no need to record to the
digital tape on your TRV 120. This will save you one generation" loss of
quality plus a lot of time. I do this with my TRV120 and my results have
been excellent. Even if you had not solved the TRV120 head problem you could
have still done this and possibly avoided the need to but anothet camera.
Refer to the TRV120 manual for "analog to digital" conversion. Its page 79
in the PAL English/Russion manual.

Hope this is of help

Regards,

Ron