VPN & Netgear FVS318

Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my Windows XP & 2000
machines to work as a client to my Netger FVS318 computer? I'd like to use
the inherent VPN client in XP & 2000 for tempoaray connections to my home
network when needed.

Thanks for your help
Alex
16 answers Last reply
More about netgear fvs318

    OT, but you do know the Netgear you have supports native IPSEC VPN, right?
    Why not offload this function to the Netgear? Make sure you're using the
    latest firmware on the NetGear and give it a go.

    If you don't want to go that route, you'll need to open the requisite ports
    in your firewall: see
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20274/20274.html for some
    help.

    Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    > Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my Windows XP &
    > 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger FVS318 computer? I'd
    > like to use the inherent VPN client in XP & 2000 for tempoaray
    > connections to my home network when needed.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    > Alex

    That's not actually what I'm trying to do.

    I want to be able to configure my laptops to be able to connect to my home
    network (FVS318) via VPN to the Netgear router.

    Hence the need to have the XP/2000 machines to work as clients. I'd prefer
    to use the XP/2000 base clients if possible since my 2000 machine is a work
    computer using Intel's Netstructure SST protocol.

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > OT, but you do know the Netgear you have supports native IPSEC VPN, right?
    > Why not offload this function to the Netgear? Make sure you're using the
    > latest firmware on the NetGear and give it a go.
    >
    > If you don't want to go that route, you'll need to open the requisite
    > ports
    > in your firewall: see
    > http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20274/20274.html for
    > some
    > help.
    >

    > Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    >> Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my Windows XP &
    >> 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger FVS318 computer? I'd
    >> like to use the inherent VPN client in XP & 2000 for tempoaray
    >> connections to my home network when needed.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help
    >> Alex

    OK - open inbound TCP ports 47 and 1723 for PPTP.

    Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    > That's not actually what I'm trying to do.
    >
    > I want to be able to configure my laptops to be able to connect to my
    > home network (FVS318) via VPN to the Netgear router.
    >
    > Hence the need to have the XP/2000 machines to work as clients. I'd
    > prefer to use the XP/2000 base clients if possible since my 2000
    > machine is a work computer using Intel's Netstructure SST protocol.
    >
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > message news:uNvxf$4hEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    >> OT, but you do know the Netgear you have supports native IPSEC VPN,
    >> right? Why not offload this function to the Netgear? Make sure
    >> you're using the latest firmware on the NetGear and give it a go.
    >>
    >> If you don't want to go that route, you'll need to open the requisite
    >> ports
    >> in your firewall: see
    >> http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20274/20274.html
    >> for some
    >> help.
    >>

    >> Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    >>> Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my Windows XP &
    >>> 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger FVS318 computer? I'd
    >>> like to use the inherent VPN client in XP & 2000 for tempoaray
    >>> connections to my home network when needed.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help
    >>> Alex

    Maybe I'm missing something here.

    How does that help me configure my Win2K and XP as a client? What
    configuration should I use for the netgear?

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

    Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    > Maybe I'm missing something here.
    >
    > How does that help me configure my Win2K and XP as a client?

    Sorry, you didn't seem to be asking "how do I set up a PPTP client" - I
    misunderstood. You can just use the wizard to make a new connection in your
    clients' network applets - choose VPN.

    >What
    > configuration should I use for the netgear?

    You mean in the client? You just specify whatever your public IP address is
    on that network, once you've opened up the ports I mentioned in the
    firewall.

    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > message news:OOSfbQEjEHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    >> OK - open inbound TCP ports 47 and 1723 for PPTP.
    >>

    >> Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    >>> That's not actually what I'm trying to do.
    >>>
    >>> I want to be able to configure my laptops to be able to connect to
    >>> my home network (FVS318) via VPN to the Netgear router.
    >>>
    >>> Hence the need to have the XP/2000 machines to work as clients. I'd
    >>> prefer to use the XP/2000 base clients if possible since my 2000
    >>> machine is a work computer using Intel's Netstructure SST protocol.
    >>>
    >>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
    >>> message news:uNvxf$4hEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

    I've used the wizard on the Netgear side to setup a IP SEC VPN with a
    pre-shared key

    I've also used the WinXP wizard to setup a VPN, disabled the login, and
    enabled the pre-shared key. It still fails. Do I also have to open ports?
    I've tried opening the ports for an L2TP and PPTP, with no luck.

    Please understand, I'm very new to this capability, so please bear with me.

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    >> Maybe I'm missing something here.
    >>
    >> How does that help me configure my Win2K and XP as a client?
    >
    > Sorry, you didn't seem to be asking "how do I set up a PPTP client" - I
    > misunderstood. You can just use the wizard to make a new connection in
    > your clients' network applets - choose VPN.
    >
    >>What
    >> configuration should I use for the netgear?
    >
    > You mean in the client? You just specify whatever your public IP address
    > is on that network, once you've opened up the ports I mentioned in the
    > firewall.
    >>

    >> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
    >> message news:OOSfbQEjEHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    >>> OK - open inbound TCP ports 47 and 1723 for PPTP.

    Which do you want handing the VPN on the host side? Your router/firewall, or
    your Windows box? You need to pick one....

    Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    > I've used the wizard on the Netgear side to setup a IP SEC VPN with a
    > pre-shared key
    >
    > I've also used the WinXP wizard to setup a VPN, disabled the login,
    > and enabled the pre-shared key. It still fails. Do I also have to
    > open ports? I've tried opening the ports for an L2TP and PPTP, with
    > no luck.
    >
    > Please understand, I'm very new to this capability, so please bear
    > with me.
    >
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > message news:u%23DLqIRjEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    >>> Maybe I'm missing something here.
    >>>
    >>> How does that help me configure my Win2K and XP as a client?
    >>
    >> Sorry, you didn't seem to be asking "how do I set up a PPTP client"
    >> - I misunderstood. You can just use the wizard to make a new
    >> connection in your clients' network applets - choose VPN.
    >>
    >>> What
    >>> configuration should I use for the netgear?
    >>
    >> You mean in the client? You just specify whatever your public IP
    >> address is on that network, once you've opened up the ports I
    >> mentioned in the firewall.
    >>>

    >>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
    >>> message news:OOSfbQEjEHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

    If you use Netgear's recommended client, look at:
    http://support.safenet-inc.com/technotes/SR__NetGear_FVS318v1.4.pdf

    Otherwise, look at
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=445

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:52:58 -0700, "Alex Kalemkeris"
    <alexk@kalemkeris.net> wrote:

    >That's not actually what I'm trying to do.
    >
    >I want to be able to configure my laptops to be able to connect to my home
    >network (FVS318) via VPN to the Netgear router.
    >
    >Hence the need to have the XP/2000 machines to work as clients. I'd prefer
    >to use the XP/2000 base clients if possible since my 2000 machine is a work
    >computer using Intel's Netstructure SST protocol.
    >
    >"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    ><lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> OT, but you do know the Netgear you have supports native IPSEC VPN, right?
    >> Why not offload this function to the Netgear? Make sure you're using the
    >> latest firmware on the NetGear and give it a go.
    >>
    >> If you don't want to go that route, you'll need to open the requisite
    >> ports
    >> in your firewall: see
    >> http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20274/20274.html for
    >> some
    >> help.
    >>

    >> Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    >>> Can someone help me with a quick how-to to configure my Windows XP &
    >>> 2000 machines to work as a client to my Netger FVS318 computer? I'd
    >>> like to use the inherent VPN client in XP & 2000 for tempoaray
    >>> connections to my home network when needed.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help
    >>> Alex

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    WinXP Client

    Router Host

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > Which do you want handing the VPN on the host side? Your router/firewall,
    > or
    > your Windows box? You need to pick one....
    >

    > Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    >> I've used the wizard on the Netgear side to setup a IP SEC VPN with a
    >> pre-shared key
    >>
    >> I've also used the WinXP wizard to setup a VPN, disabled the login,
    >> and enabled the pre-shared key. It still fails. Do I also have to
    >> open ports? I've tried opening the ports for an L2TP and PPTP, with
    >> no luck.
    >>
    >> Please understand, I'm very new to this capability, so please bear
    >> with me.
    >>
    >> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
    >> message news:u%23DLqIRjEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    >>> Sorry, you didn't seem to be asking "how do I set up a PPTP client"
    >>> - I misunderstood. You can just use the wizard to make a new
    >>> connection in your clients' network applets - choose VPN.

    >>> You mean in the client? You just specify whatever your public IP
    >>> address is on that network, once you've opened up the ports I
    >>> mentioned in the firewall.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    > WinXP Client
    >
    > Router Host

    Hmm - isn't this where I came in? We're sort of back to my first reply.
    http://www.netgear.com/docs/technotes/MultiVendor/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwh
    elp.htm

    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > message news:eilQoy8jEHA.1904@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> Which do you want handing the VPN on the host side? Your
    >> router/firewall, or
    >> your Windows box? You need to pick one....
    >>

    >> Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    >>> I've used the wizard on the Netgear side to setup a IP SEC VPN with
    >>> a pre-shared key
    >>>
    >>> I've also used the WinXP wizard to setup a VPN, disabled the login,
    >>> and enabled the pre-shared key. It still fails. Do I also have to
    >>> open ports? I've tried opening the ports for an L2TP and PPTP, with
    >>> no luck.
    >>>
    >>> Please understand, I'm very new to this capability, so please bear
    >>> with me.
    >>>
    >>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
    >>> message news:u%23DLqIRjEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Hit send too fast. Also see
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=575

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    > Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    >> WinXP Client
    >>
    >> Router Host
    >
    > Hmm - isn't this where I came in? We're sort of back to my first
    > reply.

    http://www.netgear.com/docs/technotes/MultiVendor/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwh
    > elp.htm
    >

    >> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
    >> message news:eilQoy8jEHA.1904@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >>> Which do you want handing the VPN on the host side? Your
    >>> router/firewall, or
    >>> your Windows box? You need to pick one....

    http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20274/20274.html

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I think I know where Alex is going with his question.

    What he is looking for is how to use the XP and 2000 VPN capabilities that
    are already built in to the OS. He is not looking to use an external VPN
    client software program like Safenet that Netgear has suggested. All of
    Netgears documentations show how to use a VPN client that costs more than it
    is worth. Windows should already have the function built in for FREE.

    What settings need to be performend on Win to have it act like a client and
    attach to a VPN tunnel on the FVS318?? I've tried this myself for over a
    year now sice I purchased the unit when it was first launched. So far, I
    have never been sucessful. I have even tried Nortel's software which my
    company used with no sucess.

    Any ideas how to get the Win OS to function as a client would be very helpful.

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > Hit send too fast. Also see
    > http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=575
    >
    > Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    > > Alex Kalemkeris wrote:
    > >> WinXP Client
    > >>
    > >> Router Host
    > >
    > > Hmm - isn't this where I came in? We're sort of back to my first
    > > reply.
    > >
    > http://www.netgear.com/docs/technotes/MultiVendor/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwh
    > > elp.htm
    > >

    > >> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > >> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
    > >> message news:eilQoy8jEHA.1904@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    > http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20274/20274.html

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    You need, of course, to be talking to a Netgear support forum.

    I've skimmed through this thread

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10053432~mode=flat

    without being clear whether anybody in it has accomplished what you
    wanted--it doesn't sound easy--everybody says go with Netgears proprietary
    client.

    "J Feely" <J Feely@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I think I know where Alex is going with his question.
    >
    > What he is looking for is how to use the XP and 2000 VPN capabilities that
    > are already built in to the OS. He is not looking to use an external VPN
    > client software program like Safenet that Netgear has suggested. All of
    > Netgears documentations show how to use a VPN client that costs more than
    > it
    > is worth. Windows should already have the function built in for FREE.
    >
    > What settings need to be performend on Win to have it act like a client
    > and
    > attach to a VPN tunnel on the FVS318?? I've tried this myself for over a
    > year now sice I purchased the unit when it was first launched. So far, I
    > have never been sucessful. I have even tried Nortel's software which my
    > company used with no sucess.
    >
    > Any ideas how to get the Win OS to function as a client would be very
    > helpful.
    >
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hit send too fast. Also see
    >> http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=575
    >>
    >> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:

    >> > Hmm - isn't this where I came in? We're sort of back to my first
    >> > reply.
    >> >
    >> http://www.netgear.com/docs/technotes/MultiVendor/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwh
    >> > elp.htm

    >> http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20274/20274.html

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    So I broke down and decided to pay for Netgear's support and got my answer.
    Fortunatley for me, they agreed to not charge me because I found you cannot
    do it. The build in windows client will work if you have a static IP and you
    are not behind a NAT. If your behind a NAT and/or with a dynamic IP you
    need to use their SW solution. Since my company uses the Intel Netstructure
    client right now, I asked if I could use that in its place (since you can
    only use one VPN client at a time). He said he didn't know, but was willing
    to work with me on it. Since I didn't have the time when I was talking to
    him, nor the ability to test, I optted for the no charge answer.

    So does anyone know if the Prosafe VPN client plays well with another VPN
    client software installed? I tried Safenet's which disabled all my network
    capability and was a pain the xxx to uninstall. They didn't play well
    together.

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    > You need, of course, to be talking to a Netgear support forum.
    >
    > I've skimmed through this thread
    >
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10053432~mode=flat
    >
    > without being clear whether anybody in it has accomplished what you
    > wanted--it doesn't sound easy--everybody says go with Netgears proprietary
    > client.
    >
    > "J Feely" <J Feely@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I think I know where Alex is going with his question.
    >>
    >> What he is looking for is how to use the XP and 2000 VPN capabilities
    >> that
    >> are already built in to the OS. He is not looking to use an external VPN
    >> client software program like Safenet that Netgear has suggested. All of
    >> Netgears documentations show how to use a VPN client that costs more than
    >> it
    >> is worth. Windows should already have the function built in for FREE.
    >>
    >> What settings need to be performend on Win to have it act like a client
    >> and
    >> attach to a VPN tunnel on the FVS318?? I've tried this myself for over a
    >> year now sice I purchased the unit when it was first launched. So far, I
    >> have never been sucessful. I have even tried Nortel's software which my
    >> company used with no sucess.
    >>
    >> Any ideas how to get the Win OS to function as a client would be very
    >> helpful.
    >>
    >> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hit send too fast. Also see
    >>> http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=575

    >>> http://www.netgear.com/docs/technotes/MultiVendor/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwh

    >>> http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20274/20274.html

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Jeffery knows the scoop on Microsoft VPN clients talking to Microsoft
    servers through NATs--I believe it is XP SP2, or many older versions with
    the downloadable VPN client software (www.microsoft.com/vpn) talking to
    Windows Server 2003.

    Definitely more information at the above link.

    Not helpful in terms of the Netgear host, but just to mention that this is
    an issue all VPN vendors are working hard on.

    And, of course, talking about IPSEC vpns not PPTP, which does work fine
    outbound through the average NAT.

    "Alex Kalemkeris" <alexk@kalemkeris.net> wrote in message
    > So I broke down and decided to pay for Netgear's support and got my
    > answer. Fortunatley for me, they agreed to not charge me because I found
    > you cannot do it. The build in windows client will work if you have a
    > static IP and you are not behind a NAT. If your behind a NAT and/or with
    > a dynamic IP you need to use their SW solution. Since my company uses the
    > Intel Netstructure client right now, I asked if I could use that in its
    > place (since you can only use one VPN client at a time). He said he
    > didn't know, but was willing to work with me on it. Since I didn't have
    > the time when I was talking to him, nor the ability to test, I optted for
    > the no charge answer.
    >
    > So does anyone know if the Prosafe VPN client plays well with another VPN
    > client software installed? I tried Safenet's which disabled all my
    > network capability and was a pain the xxx to uninstall. They didn't play
    > well together.
    >

    > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    >> You need, of course, to be talking to a Netgear support forum.
    >>
    >> I've skimmed through this thread
    >>
    >> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10053432~mode=flat
    >>
    >> without being clear whether anybody in it has accomplished what you
    >> wanted--it doesn't sound easy--everybody says go with Netgears
    >> proprietary client.
    >>
    >> "J Feely" <J Feely@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>I think I know where Alex is going with his question.
    >>>
    >>> What he is looking for is how to use the XP and 2000 VPN capabilities
    >>> that
    >>> are already built in to the OS. He is not looking to use an external
    >>> VPN
    >>> client software program like Safenet that Netgear has suggested. All of
    >>> Netgears documentations show how to use a VPN client that costs more
    >>> than it
    >>> is worth. Windows should already have the function built in for FREE.
    >>>
    >>> What settings need to be performend on Win to have it act like a client
    >>> and
    >>> attach to a VPN tunnel on the FVS318?? I've tried this myself for over
    >>> year now sice I purchased the unit when it was first launched. So far,
    >>> have never been sucessful. I have even tried Nortel's software which my
    >>> company used with no sucess.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas how to get the Win OS to function as a client would be very
    >>> helpful.

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Unfortunately NAT-T only works with a Win2K3 Server on the server side
    (or one of the other OSS solutions)...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:59:36 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"

vpn Netgear Windows XP