Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Remote CD Writing

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 21, 2004 8:27:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi all,
A quick question on remote CD writing. I'm looking at deploying a thin
client solution using Termianl Seriveces or Cirtix and was wondering if it is
possible to to make a drive mapping from the W2k3 server back to client
machine (Win XP Pro) and allow the use of CD-R / CD-RW's.

Baiscally, I'm hoping the packet writing fuctionality in Win XP will allow
the use of the CD-R or CD-RW as a writable network drive. Is this possible?
If it's not with the standard deployment of XP, are there any 3rd party
applications that will allow this?

Regards
Dan

More about : remote writing

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 2:33:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

My two cents - packet writing for CD burning is not the best plan. I've seen
many situations in which a CD created with that method is unreadable on
other computers. Also note that CD burning across network connections is
unreliable due to latency in the connection speed - can lead to buffer
underruns and unusable CDs.

What's your ultimate goal? There may be a better way to accomplish it.

Dan wrote:
> Hi all,
> A quick question on remote CD writing. I'm looking at deploying a thin
> client solution using Termianl Seriveces or Cirtix and was wondering
> if it is possible to to make a drive mapping from the W2k3 server
> back to client machine (Win XP Pro) and allow the use of CD-R /
> CD-RW's.
>
> Baiscally, I'm hoping the packet writing fuctionality in Win XP will
> allow the use of the CD-R or CD-RW as a writable network drive. Is
> this possible? If it's not with the standard deployment of XP, are
> there any 3rd party applications that will allow this?
>
> Regards
> Dan
August 21, 2004 2:33:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

>
> What's your ultimate goal? There may be a better way to accomplish it.

The ultimate goal is to allow our users access to the local client CD-R
drives from the remote W2k3 desktop or application. Eg, if they have been
using PP to design a presentaion on the w2k3 server and they want to save it
to thier own CD that's inserted in the local workstation

Regards
Dan
Related resources
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 8:41:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Why not use local drive redirection so they can save a copy locally & then
use their own CD burning software? Much more likely to work.

Dan wrote:
>> What's your ultimate goal? There may be a better way to accomplish
>> it.
>
> The ultimate goal is to allow our users access to the local client
> CD-R drives from the remote W2k3 desktop or application. Eg, if they
> have been using PP to design a presentaion on the w2k3 server and
> they want to save it to thier own CD that's inserted in the local
> workstation
>
> Regards
> Dan
August 24, 2004 3:03:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Why not use local drive redirection so they can save a copy locally & then
> use their own CD burning software? Much more likely to work.

That was my inital thought, but the level of understanding of the users
concerned is low to say the least. We are trying to achieve a system that is
basically a "dumb" terminal. The standard XP xhell will be hightly
restricted, even possibly to the point of onlly having a Citrix or RDT login
shell.

So, basically we wnat the w2k3 server desktop to be the only thing they use.

Regards
Dan
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 10:07:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Dan wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> Why not use local drive redirection so they can save a copy locally
>> & then use their own CD burning software? Much more likely to work.
>
> That was my inital thought, but the level of understanding of the
> users concerned is low to say the least. We are trying to achieve a
> system that is basically a "dumb" terminal. The standard XP xhell
> will be hightly restricted, even possibly to the point of onlly
> having a Citrix or RDT login shell.
>
> So, basically we wnat the w2k3 server desktop to be the only thing
> they use.

Try it - but I don't know if it's gonna work. You're still going to have to
use drive redirection, and most CD burners don't support working across
network connections anyway. Even if yours do, I doubt you'll get good
results.
>
> Regards
> Dan
August 24, 2004 10:07:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

>
> Try it - but I don't know if it's gonna work. You're still going to have to
> use drive redirection, and most CD burners don't support working across
> network connections anyway. Even if yours do, I doubt you'll get good
> results.
>

Thanks, I'll it give a try. Also, I'm being a bit slow here, when you say
drive redirection, what do you mean?

Regards
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 11:07:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Dan wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>>
>> Try it - but I don't know if it's gonna work. You're still going to
>> have to use drive redirection, and most CD burners don't support
>> working across network connections anyway. Even if yours do, I doubt
>> you'll get good results.
>>
>
> Thanks, I'll it give a try. Also, I'm being a bit slow here, when you
> say drive redirection, what do you mean?

In the options in your RD client, you can choose 'local drive redirection'
as well as printer redirection, etc. Might want to pick up the latest RD
client from MS downloads (free).

As I said, I have my doubts that you can even do this at all - but try away,
if you have time & CDRWs to burn!

>
> Regards
August 24, 2004 11:07:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Dan wrote:
> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> Try it - but I don't know if it's gonna work. You're still going to
> >> have to use drive redirection, and most CD burners don't support
> >> working across network connections anyway. Even if yours do, I doubt
> >> you'll get good results.
> >>
> >
> > Thanks, I'll it give a try. Also, I'm being a bit slow here, when you
> > say drive redirection, what do you mean?
>
> In the options in your RD client, you can choose 'local drive redirection'
> as well as printer redirection, etc. Might want to pick up the latest RD
> client from MS downloads (free).
>
> As I said, I have my doubts that you can even do this at all - but try away,
> if you have time & CDRWs to burn!
>
Ahh, all becomes clear. Yes, I was thinking that would be an option, but I
belived they would be mounted read only.

The other option I was thinking of is to use a reverse mapping from the w2k3
server using logon scripts and see if I could mount the drive that way, but
that failed to mount R/W giving an error if an unformatted CDR-W was used. I
guess we'll have to junk the idea and just get them to copy the files
locally. Ho-Hum.. 19,000 students to train!...

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Dan
> >
> > Regards
>
>
>
!