Remote Desktop and XP Pro SP2

August 21, 2004 8:29:19 AM

Never had a problem remoting in to XP pro w/SP1. However,
since updating to SP2 I can only remote in one time before
my machine has to be rebooted to remote in again.

I remote in the first time and all is fine. I disconnect
and attempt to remote in a second time and receive the
error: "The client cannot connect to the remote
machine..." Then it tells me that possible reasons are too
many connections, remote desktop not turned on, etc. Once
the machine is rebooted I am able to remote in again, but
only the one time before I have to repeat the process.

Any ideas? Nothing has changed except the update to SP2.

Vince

More about : remote desktop pro sp2

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 3:39:04 PM

Hi,

I've got a very similar problem. As I understand you the "server"-machine
has to be rebooted. This is the case for me too. Updated to SP2, nothing else
changed.
Do you have got Firewalls active?

Greetings,
Mat

"vja2000" wrote:

> Never had a problem remoting in to XP pro w/SP1. However,
> since updating to SP2 I can only remote in one time before
> my machine has to be rebooted to remote in again.
>
> I remote in the first time and all is fine. I disconnect
> and attempt to remote in a second time and receive the
> error: "The client cannot connect to the remote
> machine..." Then it tells me that possible reasons are too
> many connections, remote desktop not turned on, etc. Once
> the machine is rebooted I am able to remote in again, but
> only the one time before I have to repeat the process.
>
> Any ideas? Nothing has changed except the update to SP2.
>
> Vince

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 8:41:01 AM

Mat,

I seem to have resolved this issue by forwarding port 137 in my router. Upon
viewing the sp2 firewall log I noticed that port 137 was trying to open for
file and printer sharing. Since forwarding this port I have had no further
issues with Remote Desktop. I did not try turning off or disallowing file and
printer sharing in the sp2 firewall to see if this would serve the same
purpose.

Vince

"Mat" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a very similar problem. As I understand you the "server"-machine
> has to be rebooted. This is the case for me too. Updated to SP2, nothing else
> changed.
> Do you have got Firewalls active?
>
> Greetings,
> Mat
>
> "vja2000" wrote:
>
> > Never had a problem remoting in to XP pro w/SP1. However,
> > since updating to SP2 I can only remote in one time before
> > my machine has to be rebooted to remote in again.
> >
> > I remote in the first time and all is fine. I disconnect
> > and attempt to remote in a second time and receive the
> > error: "The client cannot connect to the remote
> > machine..." Then it tells me that possible reasons are too
> > many connections, remote desktop not turned on, etc. Once
> > the machine is rebooted I am able to remote in again, but
> > only the one time before I have to repeat the process.
> >
> > Any ideas? Nothing has changed except the update to SP2.
> >
> > Vince

August 28, 2004 9:58:24 PM

BAD...BAD...BAD... (unless you limit it only to the local subnet)

Port 137 is not required for any remote desktop operation...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 04:41:01 -0700, "vja2000"
<vja2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Mat,
>
>I seem to have resolved this issue by forwarding port 137 in my router. Upon
>viewing the sp2 firewall log I noticed that port 137 was trying to open for
>file and printer sharing. Since forwarding this port I have had no further
>issues with Remote Desktop. I did not try turning off or disallowing file and
>printer sharing in the sp2 firewall to see if this would serve the same
>purpose.
>
>Vince
>

>"Mat" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a very similar problem. As I understand you the "server"-machine
>> has to be rebooted. This is the case for me too. Updated to SP2, nothing else
>> changed.
>> Do you have got Firewalls active?
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Mat
>>
>> "vja2000" wrote:
>>
>> > Never had a problem remoting in to XP pro w/SP1. However,
>> > since updating to SP2 I can only remote in one time before
>> > my machine has to be rebooted to remote in again.
>> >
>> > I remote in the first time and all is fine. I disconnect
>> > and attempt to remote in a second time and receive the
>> > error: "The client cannot connect to the remote
>> > machine..." Then it tells me that possible reasons are too
>> > many connections, remote desktop not turned on, etc. Once
>> > the machine is rebooted I am able to remote in again, but
>> > only the one time before I have to repeat the process.
>> >
>> > Any ideas? Nothing has changed except the update to SP2.
>> >
>> > Vince

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 9:35:41 AM

Jeffrey,

Do you remember this thread?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&fram...

The original poster could connect using an IP but not a name. Enabling File and Print Sharing, which
also opens UDP Port 137, fixed this issue. I have not had a chance to test that, but I do know that
I have F&PS enabled on both of my home XP SP2 machines and can access Remote Desktop on the XP Pro
box by either IP or name. In my case, however, I severely restrict the F&PS address scope to the
local machines by their IP addresses.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote in message
news:o e32j0hgq7oseec1hc886inhkvhaom8oos@4ax.com...
> BAD...BAD...BAD... (unless you limit it only to the local subnet)
>
> Port 137 is not required for any remote desktop operation...
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 04:41:01 -0700, "vja2000"
> <vja2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Mat,
>>
>>I seem to have resolved this issue by forwarding port 137 in my router. Upon
>>viewing the sp2 firewall log I noticed that port 137 was trying to open for
>>file and printer sharing. Since forwarding this port I have had no further
>>issues with Remote Desktop. I did not try turning off or disallowing file and
>>printer sharing in the sp2 firewall to see if this would serve the same
>>purpose.
>>
>>Vince
>>

>>"Mat" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've got a very similar problem. As I understand you the "server"-machine
>>> has to be rebooted. This is the case for me too. Updated to SP2, nothing else
>>> changed.
>>> Do you have got Firewalls active?
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Mat

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 1:14:17 AM

Disabling that port disables NetBIOS... Thus, NetBIOS names will be
blocked.... However, opening that port to the internet has severe
security ramifications.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 05:35:41 -0500, "Sooner Al"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>Jeffrey,
>
>Do you remember this thread?
>
>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&fram...
>
>The original poster could connect using an IP but not a name. Enabling File and Print Sharing, which
>also opens UDP Port 137, fixed this issue. I have not had a chance to test that, but I do know that
>I have F&PS enabled on both of my home XP SP2 machines and can access Remote Desktop on the XP Pro
>box by either IP or name. In my case, however, I severely restrict the F&PS address scope to the
>local machines by their IP addresses.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 8:43:08 AM

Yep, but unfortunately PocketPCs running Windows Mobile 2003 don't have a hosts file option. Marc
Zimmerman's Pocket Hosts does not play well with the OS for some odd reason...

--

> Disabling that port disables NetBIOS... Thus, NetBIOS names will be
> blocked.... However, opening that port to the internet has severe
> security ramifications.
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 05:35:41 -0500, "Sooner Al"
> <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Jeffrey,
>>
>>Do you remember this thread?
>>
>>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&fram...
>>
>>The original poster could connect using an IP but not a name. Enabling File and Print Sharing,
>>which
>>also opens UDP Port 137, fixed this issue. I have not had a chance to test that, but I do know
>>that
>>I have F&PS enabled on both of my home XP SP2 machines and can access Remote Desktop on the XP Pro
>>box by either IP or name. In my case, however, I severely restrict the F&PS address scope to the
>>local machines by their IP addresses.

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 1:15:19 AM

Possibly a better solution is to setup a local DNS server.. This way
you will be able to connect from the local LAN and on the internet (if
you have the naming setup properly).

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 04:43:08 -0500, "Sooner Al"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>Yep, but unfortunately PocketPCs running Windows Mobile 2003 don't have a hosts file option. Marc
>Zimmerman's Pocket Hosts does not play well with the OS for some odd reason...
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 9:33:32 AM

I doubt seriously if most home users will do that...

--

> Possibly a better solution is to setup a local DNS server.. This way
> you will be able to connect from the local LAN and on the internet (if
> you have the naming setup properly).
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 04:43:08 -0500, "Sooner Al"
> <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Yep, but unfortunately PocketPCs running Windows Mobile 2003 don't have a hosts file option. Marc
>>Zimmerman's Pocket Hosts does not play well with the OS for some odd reason...

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 9:36:03 AM

I understand perfectly what you guys are saying. And,
apparently this bit of weirdness isn't effecting all
machines. However, since opening up UDP port 137 in my
router, I have had no issues with remote desktop. And, to
verify the relevance of opening up this port, I disabled
the port in my router and disabled file and print sharing.
Once again, I returned to being able to remote in one time
and one time only before requiring a reboot of my XP Pro
machine. One reboot, one logon - that's it. I went in,
turned on file and print sharing in the SP2 firewall,
opened up the port in my router, and things are once again
working just fine with regard to remote desktop. I would
certainly prefer not to have this port or this service
running, but I'm without a known choice as it stands right
now.

As an aside, I am quite frankly growing tired of the XP
pro remote restrictions; specifically with regard to
the "one logon at a time" restrictions. And, while my web
server functions correctly, I have been unable to get FTP
or Tsweb working correctly. I have a friend who will sell
me his Windows 2000 Server software, but I have thusfar
rejected the offer, primarily because I'm not certain as
to whether or not I would still be able to use my computer
as a desktop with the server software installed. In other
words, whether or not I would still be able to run
Quicken, Office XP, and etc. from my computer with the
server software running. And, I'm certain there would be
no more fast user switching with the server software.
Still, if I knew I could run the programs mentioned above
and utilize the computer as a server at the same time
(without having to multiboot), I would purchase the server
software from him and install it in a heartbeat.

Vince
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 12:13:57 AM

Not a single home user, but if you run a home network....

:)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 05:33:32 -0500, "Sooner Al"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>I doubt seriously if most home users will do that...
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 12:16:34 AM

As for your last statement - I run Windows 2003 Server on my Acer
laptop with no issues (it is a development machine) other than getting
the Centrino drivers installed...

What issues are you having with FTP or TSWEB? The key thing with the
two of them is having the proper ports forwarded...

Note that some routers can mangle FTP port redirection if they don't
have the proper NAT codes (early Belkins had this problem).

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

!