why can I see wide screen from cable to my regualr TV

If I shoot in true widescreen and it can only be played back on a TV with
widescreen option, why do I see oodles of documentaries and movies on my
regular TV from these cable channels like IFC and Sundance and others.?

> If I shoot in true widescreen and it can only be played back on a TV with
> widescreen option, why do I see oodles of documentaries and movies on my
> regular TV from these cable channels like IFC and Sundance and others.?

If you shoot something in "true" widescreen, I assume it's anamorphic, while
the docs and movies you see on cable are probably letterboxed widescreen. If
you have digital cable, the cable-box will usually have an option to
downconvert anamorphic widescreen to letterboxed or even pan-scan when
appropriate.