remote assistance via MSN

Hi,
is there any way to set remote assistance in limited way?
What I mean is our computer can be remoted by anyone from anywhere via MSN.
Is there any way we can restrict the remote assistance may be by IP or by
MAC address?
And which ports that are used for MSN remote assistance beside 3389?
I am looking forward to a favorable reply from you. Thank you.

"Eko Budiharto" <eko_b@dwp.co.id> wrote in message
> Hi,
> is there any way to set remote assistance in limited way?

Not really. Can you use user accounts to restrict access to the machine?

> What I mean is our computer can be remoted by anyone from anywhere via
MSN.

Via MSN? Not following you here..... Do you mean across the internet?

> Is there any way we can restrict the remote assistance may be by IP or by
> MAC address?

Not built into Remote Desktop. This is usually a firewall capability.

> And which ports that are used for MSN remote assistance beside 3389?

You can assign any open port to be the listening port for Remote Desktop.
Locate the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStatio
ns\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

On the Edit menu, click Modify, click Decimal, type the new port number, and
then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor.
NOTE: When you try to connect to this computer by using the Remote Desktop
connection, you must type the new port.

Jim Hubbard

> I am looking forward to a favorable reply from you. Thank you.

The Windows Firewall in Service Pack 2 for Windows XP allows you to open
ports to either the whole world, to your local subnet (which might include
VPN connections to your network), or to specfied lists of IP addresses.
Look for a "change scope" button in the firewall settings dialogs.