Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Confused abt which Hauppauge pvr card to buy. Help?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 29, 2004 2:02:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Im confused abt which Hauppuage pvr card to buy.

I don't currently use Windows MCE.... only use XP Pro

Can I go ahead and buy an Hauppuage mce card but use it
for XP Pro for now... but have option to use it for
Windows MCE if I so wish?
November 29, 2004 3:10:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Windows MCE is just XP tarted up a bit.


<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:D dlmq09mdu3bhehnlppe74cbemhsfedb75@4ax.com...
> Im confused abt which Hauppuage pvr card to buy.
>
> I don't currently use Windows MCE.... only use XP Pro
>
> Can I go ahead and buy an Hauppuage mce card but use it
> for XP Pro for now... but have option to use it for
> Windows MCE if I so wish?
November 29, 2004 3:32:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

>Windows MCE is just XP tarted up a bit.

OK

But if I buy a hauppuage card specifically branded for MCE..... can i
use it with XP Pro in the meantime?
Related resources
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 9:54:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

In article <ioqmq0hd9u6o750jc7voman32im4rkil96@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
says...
> Subject: Re: Confused abt which Hauppauge pvr card to buy. Help?
> From: me@privacy.net
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> >Windows MCE is just XP tarted up a bit.
>
> OK
>
> But if I buy a hauppuage card specifically branded for MCE..... can i
> use it with XP Pro in the meantime?
>
>

I don't know about that card but many of the Windows MCE apps I've seen
explicitly state they will not run on XP. You better email Hauppage
before buying.
--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
http://www.ramsays-online.com
November 29, 2004 9:54:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

>I don't know about that card but many of the Windows MCE apps I've seen
>explicitly state they will not run on XP. You better email Hauppage
>before buying.

Umm.... I don't think you got the gist of my question.

My questions was this.... right NOW Im running XP pro and I want a pvr
card that will run under XP pro

BUT..... I "may" upgrade to Win MCE at some point in time.... so if I
get a Hauppauge card such as the 25mce....can i run it under XP Pro
for now.... and still have option to use same card under MCE if I
change to it?
November 29, 2004 9:54:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Breaking down and checking the Hauppage site. (I'm so ashamed. I suppose
they will ask for my geek club card back. Checking the manual.....how low
can I sink?)

The WinTV-PVR-250MCE runs under Windows XP, too! You can also use the
WinTV-PVR-250MCE to watch TV in a window and record your TV shows into an
MPEG format with WinTV2000, our TV application which is bundled with
WinTV-PVR-250MCE.



<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:i7vmq0937g1ebpdnt3oftmpiucemi0elfd@4ax.com...
> >I don't know about that card but many of the Windows MCE apps I've seen
> >explicitly state they will not run on XP. You better email Hauppage
> >before buying.
>
> Umm.... I don't think you got the gist of my question.
>
> My questions was this.... right NOW Im running XP pro and I want a pvr
> card that will run under XP pro
>
> BUT..... I "may" upgrade to Win MCE at some point in time.... so if I
> get a Hauppauge card such as the 25mce....can i run it under XP Pro
> for now.... and still have option to use same card under MCE if I
> change to it?
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 11:20:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

In article <i7vmq0937g1ebpdnt3oftmpiucemi0elfd@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
says...
> Subject: Re: Confused abt which Hauppauge pvr card to buy. Help?
> From: me@privacy.net
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> >I don't know about that card but many of the Windows MCE apps I've seen
> >explicitly state they will not run on XP. You better email Hauppage
> >before buying.
>
> Umm.... I don't think you got the gist of my question.
>
> My questions was this.... right NOW Im running XP pro and I want a pvr
> card that will run under XP pro
>
> BUT..... I "may" upgrade to Win MCE at some point in time.... so if I
> get a Hauppauge card such as the 25mce....can i run it under XP Pro
> for now.... and still have option to use same card under MCE if I
> change to it?
>
>

Again I say I don't know because I haven't tried it but it has been my
experience that software designed for MCE does not work with XP and
presumably that card includes software to use with it.
--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
http://www.ramsays-online.com
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 11:45:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote in
news:i7vmq0937g1ebpdnt3oftmpiucemi0elfd@4ax.com:

>>I don't know about that card but many of the Windows MCE apps I've
>>seen explicitly state they will not run on XP. You better email
>>Hauppage before buying.
>
> Umm.... I don't think you got the gist of my question.
>
> My questions was this.... right NOW Im running XP pro and I want a
> pvr card that will run under XP pro
>
> BUT..... I "may" upgrade to Win MCE at some point in time.... so
> if I get a Hauppauge card such as the 25mce....can i run it under
> XP Pro for now.... and still have option to use same card under
> MCE if I change to it?

Interesting. When I read Chris's reply, I thought it addressed your
issue fine, and now, having read your comment, I still think he
addressed your concerns.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com
November 29, 2004 11:45:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

>Interesting. When I read Chris's reply, I thought it addressed your
>issue fine, and now, having read your comment, I still think he
>addressed your concerns.

Could be

Im kind of dense today. <G>

So.... it sounds like if I want to use software OTHER than MCE
software.... software such as GB-PVR for example.... that i might
wanna stick with the reg 250 card and NOT the 250mce card?
November 30, 2004 6:37:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I have had 3 different Hauppauge Tuner Cards over the years. The card you
want will work just fine with WinXP. Yes, it has software that operates the
card on the CD that will work with both XP and MCE.

The problem I had was trying to build my own MCE system. The company I work
for is a Microsoft Partner so I was able to obtain MCE install CD's but
could never get Microsoft's software to utilize the Hauppauge card. I've
read many web sites and newsgroups and have read posts from people that have
said they got it to work, but I couldn't.

To my knowledge, there is no upgrade path to Win MCE. This is supposed to
be installed by OEM's only. The OS can't even be purchased at the retail
level.


<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:i7vmq0937g1ebpdnt3oftmpiucemi0elfd@4ax.com...
> >I don't know about that card but many of the Windows MCE apps I've seen
>>explicitly state they will not run on XP. You better email Hauppage
>>before buying.
>
> Umm.... I don't think you got the gist of my question.
>
> My questions was this.... right NOW Im running XP pro and I want a pvr
> card that will run under XP pro
>
> BUT..... I "may" upgrade to Win MCE at some point in time.... so if I
> get a Hauppauge card such as the 25mce....can i run it under XP Pro
> for now.... and still have option to use same card under MCE if I
> change to it?
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 12:36:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> To my knowledge, there is no upgrade path to Win MCE. This is supposed to
> be installed by OEM's only. The OS can't even be purchased at the retail
> level.

MS recently makes WinMCE 2005 available that doesn't have to come with
a PC. You can find OEM version of WinMCE-2005 in retails being sold in
newegg.com (as shown in an ad in the latest issue of PC Magazine).

Jay Chan
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 3:07:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote in news:r9bnq0t3dp44i00t85f2mapi7i1uur8931@
4ax.com:

>>Interesting. When I read Chris's reply, I thought it addressed your
>>issue fine, and now, having read your comment, I still think he
>>addressed your concerns.
>
> Could be
>
> Im kind of dense today. <G>
>
> So.... it sounds like if I want to use software OTHER than MCE
> software.... software such as GB-PVR for example.... that i might
> wanna stick with the reg 250 card and NOT the 250mce card?
>

Well, I'm too dense to know much also :-) but someone on this thread
seems to have - at last - answered your real question. Like it'll work
on XP and on XP-MCE.

That's good.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com
December 2, 2004 7:37:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Don't buy Hauppauge 250 or 350 as they both have terrible results
compared to the 3-4 year old AverMedia Studio with FM. I don't use
the FM. I use Intervideo WINDVR 3 software and Titan TV web site to
set the recordings. Best results I have achieved with a TV card and I
have tried them all.
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:52:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Sparky" <3@2.com> wrote in message
news:5i2vq05qgcrf9oth6d4lfeh5rrjnksghaa@4ax.com...
> Don't buy Hauppauge 250 or 350 as they both have terrible results
> compared to the 3-4 year old AverMedia Studio with FM. I don't use
> the FM. I use Intervideo WINDVR 3 software and Titan TV web site to
> set the recordings. Best results I have achieved with a TV card and I
> have tried them all.

Can you be more specific about "terrible results"? The Hauppauge boards
have h/w mpeg encoders and I'm guessing the AverMedia doesn't. Realtime
software encoders like WinDVR can't come close in quality for MPEG-2
encodes.
February 17, 2005 7:20:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:52:08 GMT, "FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not
not)notmail.com> wrote:

>
>"Sparky" <3@2.com> wrote in message
>news:5i2vq05qgcrf9oth6d4lfeh5rrjnksghaa@4ax.com...
>> Don't buy Hauppauge 250 or 350 as they both have terrible results
>> compared to the 3-4 year old AverMedia Studio with FM. I don't use
>> the FM. I use Intervideo WINDVR 3 software and Titan TV web site to
>> set the recordings. Best results I have achieved with a TV card and I
>> have tried them all.
>
>Can you be more specific about "terrible results"? The Hauppauge boards
>have h/w mpeg encoders and I'm guessing the AverMedia doesn't. Realtime
>software encoders like WinDVR can't come close in quality for MPEG-2
>encodes.
>


Recently tried PVR-150 MCE and PVR-150 and now I'm a convert. Older
250/350 quality was not as good as the new 150 card. Others have
posted that mpeg2 hardware encoders are the same but my results were
much better with the 150. Now if I could find software to go with it
as the Hauppauge is workable but limited. Tried SageTV and Beyond but
was not happy. Any other suggestions?
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 10:04:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

bigriff@ureach.com wrote:
> I like the card. Not sure about newegg.com


> http://tinyurl.com/596x9


I've bought from newegg several times without incident; merchandise always
arrived in a timely manner, for what it's worth.

As for the PVR-250, works great for me. Excellent picture (when the cable
feed's good) with several compression levels available. I've recently added a
usb2 PX-TV402U from Plextor as a second tuner but with Divx recording
capacity. Both tuners work fine side by side using SageTV, which is versatile
and flexible. I use the remote that came with the Hauppauge to control Sage,
which makes up for the fact that the Plextor tuner came without.

I don't know what the previous poster didn't like about SageTV (they didn't
say), but it's easy to miss functions and flexibility (configurations and
modules one can download as well) the first few times of use. I was waverng
between BeyondTV and SageTV's trial versions for a few days but soon settled
on Sage and registered it. I found the folks in the forums informative, the
general environment open and knowledgeable and the program less top-down
directed. Not that BeyondTV's a dog by any means; both progs are excellent.
WinTV and WinDVR are the dogs in the bunch imho. Nex
!