Same IP address at both sides of a RD connection

Hello

I'm quite new with RD.

I'm connecting with RD via VPN to a host outside my office, using
Windows XP Pro. The host is Windows 2003 Server. I do not control
that host.

In the host network there is a machine with private IP 192.168.1.1.
My office has also a machine with the _same_ private IP, 192.168.1.1.

Once connected to the host, when I ping 192.168.1.1 I get response
from my local computer; and I want to reach the remote computer with
that address.

Is this possible without reassignig IP addresses and the such?

Thanks,

Toni
7 answers Last reply
More about same address sides connection

    VPN won't work if you're using the same subnet in both places. Can you
    change the IP network on your home office?

    tonilounavarro@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I'm quite new with RD.
    >
    > I'm connecting with RD via VPN to a host outside my office, using
    > Windows XP Pro. The host is Windows 2003 Server. I do not control
    > that host.
    >
    > In the host network there is a machine with private IP 192.168.1.1.
    > My office has also a machine with the _same_ private IP, 192.168.1.1.
    >
    > Once connected to the host, when I ping 192.168.1.1 I get response
    > from my local computer; and I want to reach the remote computer with
    > that address.
    >
    > Is this possible without reassignig IP addresses and the such?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Toni

    Well, it definately won't work with the same IP address... :)

    I have been "instructed" that it is possible to be in the same subnet,
    though.. :(

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote:
    > Well, it definately won't work with the same IP address... :)
    >
    > I have been "instructed" that it is possible to be in the same subnet,
    > though.. :(

    I've never seen it work....the tunnel will appear to be established, but
    won't actually work. Same with any routed connection, no?

    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:51:30 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> VPN won't work if you're using the same subnet in both places. Can
    >> you change the IP network on your home office?
    >>

    >> tonilounavarro@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>> Hello
    >>>
    >>> I'm quite new with RD.
    >>>
    >>> I'm connecting with RD via VPN to a host outside my office, using
    >>> Windows XP Pro. The host is Windows 2003 Server. I do not control
    >>> that host.
    >>>
    >>> In the host network there is a machine with private IP 192.168.1.1.
    >>> My office has also a machine with the _same_ private IP,
    >>> 192.168.1.1.
    >>>
    >>> Once connected to the host, when I ping 192.168.1.1 I get response
    >>> from my local computer; and I want to reach the remote computer with
    >>> that address.
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible without reassignig IP addresses and the such?
    >>>

    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Toni

    I've never been able to make this work either. But then again, I don't
    think I've ever succeeded in making routing work where a "route add" command
    was needed!

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote:
    >> Well, it definately won't work with the same IP address... :)
    >>
    >> I have been "instructed" that it is possible to be in the same subnet,
    >> though.. :(
    >
    > I've never seen it work....the tunnel will appear to be established, but
    > won't actually work. Same with any routed connection, no?
    >

    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>
    >> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:51:30 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> VPN won't work if you're using the same subnet in both places. Can
    >>> you change the IP network on your home office?

    I actually haven't seen it work, but others reported that they can get
    it to work.. I guess it fails over to the other gateway for the
    private network after getting no response with the first gateway,
    perhaps?

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:49:33 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote in message news:<8ssni0tke0qcg9t4nt17uiii8ksojbr9ku@4ax.com>...
    > I actually haven't seen it work, but others reported that they can get
    > it to work.. I guess it fails over to the other gateway for the
    > private network after getting no response with the first gateway,
    > perhaps?
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:49:33 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote:
    > >> Well, it definately won't work with the same IP address... :)
    > >>
    > >> I have been "instructed" that it is possible to be in the same subnet,
    > >> though.. :(
    > >
    > >I've never seen it work....the tunnel will appear to be established, but
    > >won't actually work. Same with any routed connection, no?
    > >

    > >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    > >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    > >>
    > >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    > >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    > >> be answered depending on time availability....
    > >>
    > >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    > >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    > >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

    Well guys, thanks. It seems I'll have to change my local network...

    Toni

    That will be the best and most troublefree solution... :)

    On 25 Aug 2004 00:08:14 -0700, tonilounavarro@hotmail.com wrote:

    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote in message news:<8ssni0tke0qcg9t4nt17uiii8ksojbr9ku@4ax.com>...
    >> I actually haven't seen it work, but others reported that they can get
    >> it to work.. I guess it fails over to the other gateway for the
    >> private network after getting no response with the first gateway,
    >> perhaps?
    >>
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>
    >> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:49:33 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

    >> >I've never seen it work....the tunnel will appear to be established, but
    >> >won't actually work. Same with any routed connection, no?

    >Well guys, thanks. It seems I'll have to change my local network...
    >

    >Toni

Windows XP