Creating 6 Hour DVD with Hauppauge WinTV-PVR250BTV, DVD Sh..

We are going on a long car trip, and I want to create a 6 hour DVD to
help entertain my boys. Hopefully I can get some tips, but I'll post
my results for the record after I go through the experiments.

My first step was to record the video using my Hauppauge
WinTV-PVR250BTV card at the standard DVD-Low Res setting. This creates
352x480 DVD compliant video, but the file size is almost 12 GB.

I tried feeding it into DVDit, but the program chokes since it appears
to have a hardwired 9 GB limit. I changed the project size to 20 GB,
but this didn't help. If this had worked, I was going to use DVD
Shrink to get the disk size down to 4.7 GB after building the DVD
folders.

My next step, which is running now, is to run the 12 GB 352x480 video
through TMPGEnc 12a to reduce the bitrate enough so that I can run it
through the DVDit / DVD Shrink process described above. I am guessing
the file out of TMPGEnc needs to be under 9 GB to run through DVDit.

My question is this, how do I tell what interlacing patterns to use in
TMPGEnc? That is, what kind of video does the card produce from the
DVD Low Res mode? I want to keep the type of video constant, but just
re-encode at a lower bit rate.

Right now, I tell TMPGEnc that the video is interlaced and process the
Even Field First. Here is the template file I am using:

object TMPEGConfigFile
MPEG.Text = 'DVD NTSC'
MPEG.Description = ''
MPEG.OutputStreamType = MPEG_OutputStreamType_System_VideoAudio
MPEG.OutputStreamType_ReadOnly = True
MPEG.Video.StreamType = MPEGVideoEncoder_StreamType_MPEG2
MPEG.Video.StreamType_ReadOnly = True
MPEG.Video.Width = 352
MPEG.Video.Width_ReadOnly = True
MPEG.Video.Height = 480
MPEG.Video.Height_ReadOnly = True
MPEG.Video.YUVFormat = 1
MPEG.Video.YUVFormat_ReadOnly = True
MPEG.Video.DC_prec = 1
MPEG.Video.DC_prec_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Video.Interlace = True
MPEG.Video.Interlace_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Video.TopFieldFirst = False
MPEG.Video.PullDown32 = False
MPEG.Video.PullDown32_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Video.FrameRate = 4
MPEG.Video.FrameRate_ReadOnly = True
MPEG.Video.AspectRatio = 2
MPEG.Video.AspectRatio_ReadOnly = True
MPEG.Video.RateControlMode = MPEGVideoEncoder_RateControlMode_CQ
MPEG.Video.RateControlMode_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Video.MaxBitRate = 9000000
MPEG.Video.MaxBitRate_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Video.CBR_BitRate = 7000000
MPEG.Video.MVBR_MaxBitRate = 9000000
MPEG.Video.MVBR_Quality_P = 0
MPEG.Video.MVBR_Quality_B = 20
MPEG.Video.VBR_AvgBitRate = 5000000
MPEG.Video.VBR_MaxBitRate = 9000000
MPEG.Video.VBR_MinBitRate = 0
MPEG.Video.AVBR_Quality = 50
MPEG.Video.AVBR_MaxBitRate = 9000000
MPEG.Video.AVBR_MinBitRate = 0
MPEG.Video.AVBR_EnablePadding = False
MPEG.Video.CQ_Quality = 65
MPEG.Video.CQ_Quality_P = 0
MPEG.Video.CQ_Quality_B = 20
MPEG.Video.CQ_MaxBitRate = 2000000
MPEG.Video.VBVBufferSize = 81920
MPEG.Video.VBVBufferSize_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Video.GOP_SeqHeaderInterval = 1
MPEG.Video.GOP_SeqHeaderInterval_ReadOnly = True
MPEG.Video.GOP_I_FrameCount = 1
MPEG.Video.GOP_I_FrameCount_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Video.GOP_P_FrameCount = 5
MPEG.Video.GOP_P_FrameCount_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Video.GOP_B_FrameCount = 2
MPEG.Video.GOP_B_FrameCount_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Video.GOP_BitStreamForEdit = False
MPEG.Video.GOP_BitStreamForEdit_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Video.QuantizeMatrix_Intra_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Video.QuantizeMatrix_NonIntra_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Video.CheckProfile_and_Level = True
MPEG.Video.CheckProfile_and_Level_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Video.Profile = 4
MPEG.Video.Profile_ReadOnly = True
MPEG.Video.Level = 8
MPEG.Video.Level_ReadOnly = True
MPEG.Video.VideoFormat = 2
MPEG.Video.VideoFormat_ReadOnly = True
MPEG.Video.MotionSearchSpeed =
MPEGVideoEncoder_MotionSearchSpeed_Normal
MPEG.Video.MotionSearch_AlwaysHalfPel = False
MPEG.Video.UseFloatDCT = False
MPEG.Video.QuantizeMode = False
MPEG.Video.QuantizeModeVal_Intra = 35
MPEG.Video.QuantizeModeVal_NonIntra = 35
MPEG.Video.YUVBasicYCbCr = False
MPEG.Video.QuantizeMatrix_Intra = {
081013161A1B1D22101016181B1D222513161A1B1D22222616161A1B1D222528
161A1B1D202328301A1B1D202328303A1A1B1D22262E38451B1D23262E384553}
MPEG.Video.QuantizeMatrix_NonIntra = {
1011121314151617111213141516171812131415161718191314151617181A1B
14151617191A1B1C151617181A1B1C1E1617181A1B1C1E1F1718191B1C1E1F21}
MPEG.Audio.StreamType = MPEGAudioEncoder_StreamType_MPEG1_Layer2
MPEG.Audio.StreamType_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Audio.SamplingFrequency = 48000
MPEG.Audio.SamplingFrequency_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Audio.ChannelMode = 0
MPEG.Audio.ChannelMode_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Audio.CantUseMono = False
MPEG.Audio.BitRate = 224000
MPEG.Audio.BitRate_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Audio.CalcCRC = False
MPEG.Audio.CalcCRC_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Audio_OriginalFlag = False
MPEG.Audio_OriginalFlag_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Audio.CopyrightFlag = False
MPEG.Audio.CopyrightFlag_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Audio.PrivateFlag = False
MPEG.Audio.PrivateFlag_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.Audio.EmphasisType = 0
MPEG.Audio.EmphasisType_ReadOnly = False
MPEG.System.StreamType = MPEGSystemEncoder_StreamType_MPEG2_Program
MPEG.System.StreamType_ReadOnly = True
MPEG.System.CommentText = ''
MPEG.System.EnableCommentText = False
end

"BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We are going on a long car trip, and I want to create a 6 hour DVD to
> help entertain my boys. Hopefully I can get some tips, but I'll post
> my results for the record after I go through the experiments.
>
> My first step was to record the video using my Hauppauge
> WinTV-PVR250BTV card at the standard DVD-Low Res setting. This creates
> 352x480 DVD compliant video, but the file size is almost 12 GB.
>
> I tried feeding it into DVDit, but the program chokes since it appears
> to have a hardwired 9 GB limit. I changed the project size to 20 GB,
> but this didn't help. If this had worked, I was going to use DVD
> Shrink to get the disk size down to 4.7 GB after building the DVD
> folders.
>
> My next step, which is running now, is to run the 12 GB 352x480 video
> through TMPGEnc 12a to reduce the bitrate enough so that I can run it
> through the DVDit / DVD Shrink process described above. I am guessing
> the file out of TMPGEnc needs to be under 9 GB to run through DVDit.
>
> My question is this, how do I tell what interlacing patterns to use in
> TMPGEnc? That is, what kind of video does the card produce from the
> DVD Low Res mode? I want to keep the type of video constant, but just
> re-encode at a lower bit rate.
>
> Right now, I tell TMPGEnc that the video is interlaced and process the
> Even Field First. Here is the template file I am using:

<TMPGEnc Template File SNIPPED>

After I posted, I started thinking some more. Why not just change the
card's bit rate when recording?
Then I can just feed the <9 GB result into DVDit, then DVD Shrink, and not
have to worry about fields
and interlacing parameters. So I set the card to record 352x480 DVD video
at a 2500 bit rate. Doesn't
look great, but it's for viewing on a little portable DVD player, and the
boys won't know the difference.

An interesting question is the optimal balance between a low bit rate and
DVD Shrink's compression algorthm.
My general intuition about the process leads me to think that it's good to
have both types of compression, but
I wonder what the right mix is?

rs

Is it a firm requirement that you put it all on one dvd? Split it up and you
won't have to bang your head against the way looking for workarounds.

> [...]
> MPEG.Audio.StreamType = MPEGAudioEncoder_StreamType_MPEG1_Layer2
> MPEG.Audio.StreamType_ReadOnly = False
> MPEG.Audio.SamplingFrequency = 48000
> MPEG.Audio.SamplingFrequency_ReadOnly = False
> MPEG.Audio.ChannelMode = 0
> MPEG.Audio.ChannelMode_ReadOnly = False
> MPEG.Audio.CantUseMono = False
> MPEG.Audio.BitRate = 224000
> MPEG.Audio.BitRate_ReadOnly = False
> MPEG.Audio.CalcCRC = False
> MPEG.Audio.CalcCRC_ReadOnly = False
> MPEG.Audio_OriginalFlag = False
> MPEG.Audio_OriginalFlag_ReadOnly = False
> MPEG.Audio.CopyrightFlag = False
> MPEG.Audio.CopyrightFlag_ReadOnly = False
> MPEG.Audio.PrivateFlag = False
> MPEG.Audio.PrivateFlag_ReadOnly = False
> MPEG.Audio.EmphasisType = 0
> MPEG.Audio.EmphasisType_ReadOnly = False
> MPEG.System.StreamType = MPEGSystemEncoder_StreamType_MPEG2_Program

What's the fun is that? Banging my head against the wall is part of
desktop video, isn't it?

Seriously, with one disk, we can put it in, mount the DVD player in a
convenient position, hit play, and then forget about it. Both boys
love Sesame Street and Teletubbies, so there won't be any arguments
about what to watch. If one falls asleep, we won't have to deal with
screams from the other when a shorter disk ends. Ah, the joys of
parenthood.

I am still testing the process, but I have a profile for the 250BTV
card that records the 352x480 video at 2000 and uses 192 for the audio
rate. BTV estimates that it will be a data rate of 940.8 MB per hour
of video. It actually doesn't look that bad on a normal TV, and it
looks fine on the portable DVD player.

I have had some issues with DVDit, and I tested around these on smaller
videos to save time. Apparently, if you set the project size to be too
large, DVDit will crash with an uninformative error. I reset it to
8900 and just successfully created a disk using the above parameters.

I am curious to see what kind of degradation DVD Shrink will introduce.
6 x 940.8 = 5644.8 MB which doesn't seem like it will require a lot of
compression to fit on a single layer DVD. Just started capturing the 6
hour VHS tape to MPEG-2, and I'll post the results later.