Enforce session timeout on Remote Desktop

August 24, 2004 11:15:03 AM

We are using Remote Desktop for users to connect remotely back to our network
and use a standard version of our XP desktop. However, if a user chooses to
disconnect rather than logoff or they leave their session connected, but
inactive for a long period of time, we would like to have the session
disconnected and logged off. I can't seem to find anything on the web that
would help me set this up properly so I'm hoping that someone here can point
me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 1:22:50 AM

There is a setting for this if you are using Remote Desktop on Windows
2003, but it specifically does not work with Windows XP...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:15:03 -0700, "Bill"
<Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We are using Remote Desktop for users to connect remotely back to our network
>and use a standard version of our XP desktop. However, if a user chooses to
>disconnect rather than logoff or they leave their session connected, but
>inactive for a long period of time, we would like to have the session
>disconnected and logged off. I can't seem to find anything on the web that
>would help me set this up properly so I'm hoping that someone here can point
>me in the right direction.
>
>Thanks,
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 9:38:21 AM

There some Group Policies that you can configure to disconnect idle sessions. Go to "Start -> Run"
and type gpedit.msc at the command line. Navigate to the "Local Computer Policy -> Computer
Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Terminal Services -> Sessions".

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

!