Remote Desktop hangs until hitting a key on host machine

When I connect using the Remote Desktop Client to my Windows XP Professional
machine it (the host side) hangs with a blank/black screen after logon. After
hitting a key on the host machine the connection proceeds and subsequent
connections are OK.

For obvious reasons this is not very convenient.

Does anyone know what could be wrong or how to fix this?
10 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop hangs hitting host machine

    Guessing. Have you set any LegalText to be displayed upon login, which is
    waiting for a keypress assent?

    Can't see why this would have that result, but it happens in roughly the
    right time frame--not sure whether before or after login.

    "Magnus" <Magnus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I connect using the Remote Desktop Client to my Windows XP
    > Professional
    > machine it (the host side) hangs with a blank/black screen after logon.
    > After
    > hitting a key on the host machine the connection proceeds and subsequent
    > connections are OK.
    >
    > For obvious reasons this is not very convenient.
    >
    > Does anyone know what could be wrong or how to fix this?

    Thanks for the suggestion but there is no such text that is displayed after
    logon.

    The hanging occurs when the locked machine that I'm trying to connect to is
    switching from my wallpaper to the wallpaper of the default user. I'm
    wondering if it is a display adapter problem as I do not seem to find anyone
    else who has this problem (which is rather unusual).

    /Magnus

    "Bill Sanderson" wrote:

    > Guessing. Have you set any LegalText to be displayed upon login, which is
    > waiting for a keypress assent?
    >
    > Can't see why this would have that result, but it happens in roughly the
    > right time frame--not sure whether before or after login.
    >
    > "Magnus" <Magnus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I connect using the Remote Desktop Client to my Windows XP
    > > Professional
    > > machine it (the host side) hangs with a blank/black screen after logon.
    > > After
    > > hitting a key on the host machine the connection proceeds and subsequent
    > > connections are OK.
    > >
    > > For obvious reasons this is not very convenient.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know what could be wrong or how to fix this?

    I don't think my last post concerning the wallpaper is relevant. It also
    happens when I'm logged out and not only when the machine locked.

    "Magnus" wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestion but there is no such text that is displayed after
    > logon.
    >
    > The hanging occurs when the locked machine that I'm trying to connect to is
    > switching from my wallpaper to the wallpaper of the default user. I'm
    > wondering if it is a display adapter problem as I do not seem to find anyone
    > else who has this problem (which is rather unusual).
    >
    > /Magnus
    >
    > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
    >
    > > Guessing. Have you set any LegalText to be displayed upon login, which is
    > > waiting for a keypress assent?
    > >
    > > Can't see why this would have that result, but it happens in roughly the
    > > right time frame--not sure whether before or after login.
    > >
    > > "Magnus" <Magnus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > When I connect using the Remote Desktop Client to my Windows XP
    > > > Professional
    > > > machine it (the host side) hangs with a blank/black screen after logon.
    > > > After
    > > > hitting a key on the host machine the connection proceeds and subsequent
    > > > connections are OK.
    > > >
    > > > For obvious reasons this is not very convenient.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know what could be wrong or how to fix this?

    Video driver issues are worth differentiating for, however--if you can find
    an older or more generic driver which works well enough.

    >I don't think my last post concerning the wallpaper is relevant. It also
    > happens when I'm logged out and not only when the machine locked.
    >
    > "Magnus" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the suggestion but there is no such text that is displayed
    >> after
    >> logon.
    >>
    >> The hanging occurs when the locked machine that I'm trying to connect to
    >> is
    >> switching from my wallpaper to the wallpaper of the default user. I'm
    >> wondering if it is a display adapter problem as I do not seem to find
    >> anyone
    >> else who has this problem (which is rather unusual).
    >>
    >> /Magnus
    >>
    >> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Guessing. Have you set any LegalText to be displayed upon login, which
    >> > is
    >> > waiting for a keypress assent?
    >> >
    >> > Can't see why this would have that result, but it happens in roughly
    >> > the
    >> > right time frame--not sure whether before or after login.
    >> >
    >> > "Magnus" <Magnus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I am experiencing the same problem, does anybody have a solution....

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message news:<elOCtZfiEHA.2812@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
    > Guessing. Have you set any LegalText to be displayed upon login, which is
    > waiting for a keypress assent?
    >
    > Can't see why this would have that result, but it happens in roughly the
    > right time frame--not sure whether before or after login.
    >
    > "Magnus" <Magnus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I connect using the Remote Desktop Client to my Windows XP
    > > Professional
    > > machine it (the host side) hangs with a blank/black screen after logon.
    > > After
    > > hitting a key on the host machine the connection proceeds and subsequent
    > > connections are OK.
    > >
    > > For obvious reasons this is not very convenient.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know what could be wrong or how to fix this?

    I really don't know how to investigate this further. I have attempted to find
    an identical machine so that I can see if it could a hardware problem. What
    are you running on?
    I have a Dell XPST700r with an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 display adaptor.

    "sanjiv" wrote:

    > I am experiencing the same problem, does anybody have a solution....
    >
    > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message news:<elOCtZfiEHA.2812@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
    > > Guessing. Have you set any LegalText to be displayed upon login, which is
    > > waiting for a keypress assent?
    > >
    > > Can't see why this would have that result, but it happens in roughly the
    > > right time frame--not sure whether before or after login.
    > >
    > > "Magnus" <Magnus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > When I connect using the Remote Desktop Client to my Windows XP
    > > > Professional
    > > > machine it (the host side) hangs with a blank/black screen after logon.
    > > > After
    > > > hitting a key on the host machine the connection proceeds and subsequent
    > > > connections are OK.
    > > >
    > > > For obvious reasons this is not very convenient.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know what could be wrong or how to fix this?

    This problem is driving me crazy.

    1. I have put in a new display adaptor (still NVIDIA though).
    2. Upgraded to SP2
    3. Done a complete repair of the XP installation.

    Does anyone know if there is any logging or tracing that can be turned on?
    Which processes could be involved?

    The problem description is:
    The first time I connect to my XP Pro machine using the Remote Desktop
    Client the screen on the (server side) machine goes blank/black just as I hit
    OK in the "Log On to Windows" dialog on the client side. If I hit any key on
    the keyboard (server side) everything proceeds fine and I can disconnect and
    re-connect without problems.
    If I don't do anything the connection times out.

    Please help!

    "Magnus" wrote:

    > I really don't know how to investigate this further. I have attempted to find
    > an identical machine so that I can see if it could a hardware problem. What
    > are you running on?
    > I have a Dell XPST700r with an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 display adaptor.
    >
    > "sanjiv" wrote:
    >
    > > I am experiencing the same problem, does anybody have a solution....
    > >
    > > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message news:<elOCtZfiEHA.2812@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
    > > > Guessing. Have you set any LegalText to be displayed upon login, which is
    > > > waiting for a keypress assent?
    > > >
    > > > Can't see why this would have that result, but it happens in roughly the
    > > > right time frame--not sure whether before or after login.
    > > >
    > > > "Magnus" <Magnus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I and others are having the same exact problem. Except
    that I didn't know pressing a key on the server keyboard
    would help.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Jeff,

    Does hitting the keyboard help in your case?

    /Magnus

    "Jeff Jones" wrote:

    > I and others are having the same exact problem. Except
    > that I didn't know pressing a key on the server keyboard
    > would help.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Magnus <Magnus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<F82DA292-4600-4CA0-B6F7-37B3975A85C3@microsoft.com>...
    > Jeff,
    >
    > Does hitting the keyboard help in your case?
    >
    > /Magnus

    It helps in my case which is same as yours. Does anyone knows what's going on?

    > "Jeff Jones" wrote:
    >
    > > I and others are having the same exact problem. Except
    > > that I didn't know pressing a key on the server keyboard
    > > would help.

Remote Desktop Connection Microsoft Windows XP