Remote Desktop freezes my application for 10-30 seconds, c..

We have a laptop, and it has a modem which accepts incoming PPP connections.
When the remote users dial into this laptop, they need to see the status of
a program running on the laptop. The program reads stuff through a serial
port, to display the status of some equipment. When remote desktop logons
happen, the program freezes. If I look at the communications lights, I can
see that the freezeups happen reliably whenever:

(a) an RDP session is starting.
(b) some very graphically complex thing such as the start menu is being
displayed.

The freezes last from 10 to 30 seconds, and the entire application is
non-responsive or totally frozen. It does not try even ONCE to send out
anything through the serial port. I have checked its logs (I wrote this
program) and it seems that the entire program is frozen, that the main
thread is blocking on some Win32 GDI/system call for up to 30 seconds, which
seems wrong to me. To my way of thinking, RDP should read a cached version
of this screen graphical information, and not block the main application
ever, even when logging in or out via RDP.

Both machines run Windows XP service pack 1. Any suggestions? The
problem goes away when I use a third-party remote desktop tool such as VNC
instead of the built-in Microsoft Remote Desktop connection feature, but VNC
has other (less severe) problems.

Regards,
WP

I have an always on connection and I get the same problem randomly. It seems
that the connection to the server freezes when I do something intese but it I
wait for a few it works normally for several more minutes until it gets the
inclination to freeze up again. I have not been able to find a fix either.
Hope you get this resolved.