Pointers for capture software

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi all,

I work for a marine lab and we are moving thousands of hours of svhs
footage over to digital. Out of a 2 hour recording per tape, there
will be about 160 15 second clips we want to grab. Right now we have
A.Premiere and we grab a stretch and make cuts and pull the sections
we want. I was wondering if there is a capture tool that can be taught
to recognize patterns to make the cuts automatically and also
increment the file names. Or can someone point me in the direction of
some comparison articles or sites that are not tailored quite so much
to people mucking about w/ home videos? I need something that will
streamline the process if possible.

thanks,

Tom

"Tom" <tomnmillie@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I work for a marine lab and we are moving thousands of hours of svhs
> footage over to digital. Out of a 2 hour recording per tape, there
> will be about 160 15 second clips we want to grab. Right now we have
> A.Premiere and we grab a stretch and make cuts and pull the sections
> we want. I was wondering if there is a capture tool that can be taught
> to recognize patterns to make the cuts automatically and also
> increment the file names. Or can someone point me in the direction of
> some comparison articles or sites that are not tailored quite so much
> to people mucking about w/ home videos? I need something that will
> streamline the process if possible.
>
> thanks,
>
> Tom

I wouldn't disparage "people mucking about w/ home videos"
in a NG named "rec.video.desktop".

As the tape movement is probably the biggest slowdown, you
might consider searching for a standalone DVD Recorder that
will do scene recognition based "chapters". But a description
of the condition you will need the video in, to do whatever it is
you intend to do to it; would help those of us who have done a
lot of "mucking around" with videos, provide useful suggestions.

If you don't already have technical requirements in mind for
your video, then a detailed description of the any editing or
modifications that might require re-encoding could help in
identifying some good software. If you are able to work with
DVD compliant MPEG "editing" (simple frame accurate cuts
and joining) then a fast and relatively streamlined process is
quite possible.

It seems odd to me that "a marine lab" would make so many
tapes without including a great deal of delineation for each event
recorded. There must be at least a date & time hack.

Luck;
Ken

"John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
> >we want. I was wondering if there is a capture tool that can be taught
> >to recognize patterns to make the cuts automatically and also
>
> http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html
>

> John Thomas Smith
> http://www.direct2usales.com
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Doesn't Scenalyzer just capture each point to point where the camera was
either paused or stopped? Otherwise wouldn't you end up with a bunch of
short clips based on whether the camera was zooming, panning, or still?
Never really understood the thing. I do know that is what is done in most
other programs that scan and automatically capture scenes from a tape.