Building system - Graphic card suggestion - please?

What's the best graphic card for digital video editing with Premiere Pro for
around $100 - Thanks so much - Carmen Marie
7 answers Last reply
More about building system graphic card suggestion please

    "Eastman123" wrote ...
    > What's the best graphic card for digital video editing with
    > Premiere Pro for around $100 - Thanks so much - Carmen Marie

    I buy the cheapest one I can find. The "quality" of the video card
    has no effect on the editing function.

    On 01 Dec 2004 02:08:02 GMT, eastman123@aol.com (Eastman123) wrote:
    >What's the best graphic card for digital video editing with Premiere
    >Pro for around $100 - Thanks so much - Carmen Marie

    Since there is a special forum devoted just to P-Pro, you might
    want to go there and ask/read to find out what others are using
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de9c1bf

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    But isn't a 128 mb card faster than a 64 mb card. Is AGP better than PCI?
    Thanks for any help!

    Your asking your video card to do simpl 2d presentation. Certainly not all
    cards are equal, but for the work your asking it to do in video editing, the
    millisecond's increase in speed will not be detectable. The card has no
    effect whatsoever on the speed of rendering of video.

    Now, what really is better is a dual monitor card. Once you go dual, you
    never go back.

    "Eastman123" <eastman123@aol.com> wrote in message
    > But isn't a 128 mb card faster than a 64 mb card. Is AGP better than PCI?
    > Thanks for any help!

    AGP is preferred over PCI VGA cards. The only time you need to worry about
    which VGA card to use is with some hardware based editing cards. Sometimes
    the VGA card will not produce overlay properly which is necessary for seeing
    the video you are editing on your computer monitor. If you are using a
    simple 1394 device as your input/output source with Premiere Pro most AGP
    VGA cards will suffice. ATI, nVidia, and Matrox are good choices for AGP VGA
    cards. The amount of RAM on the VGA card does not necessarily make the card
    faster, but the AGP level does. Just get a card which matches the AGP slot
    on your mainboard, i.e. 2X, 4X, or 8X.

    DV editing takes very little power in as far as the VGA card goes. Editing
    can comfortably be done with as little as 8MB. When considering using Adobe
    Premiere Pro the horsepower of your system will have everything to do with
    performance in the "realtime preview" area of the program. With this in mind
    the faster the bus on the VGA card the better, so if you have an 8X AGP slot
    get an 8X card. Most cards come with a minimum of 32MB and if you are gaming
    on the machine as well then more VGA RAM will assist with those.
    --
    Larry Johnson
    Digital Video Solutions

    > What's the best graphic card for digital video editing with Premiere Pro
    for
    > around $100 - Thanks so much - Carmen Marie

    "Eastman123" wrote ...
    > But isn't a 128 mb card faster than a 64 mb card.

    Clearly. But a 64mb card is several times more than fast enough
    to display video in real time.

    > Is AGP better than PCI?

    For gaming? Almost certainly.
    For video editing? Unlikely.

    Richard Crowley wrote:
    > "Eastman123" wrote ...
    >
    >>But isn't a 128 mb card faster than a 64 mb card.
    >

    > Clearly. But a 64mb card is several times more than fast enough
    > to display video in real time.
    >

    >>Is AGP better than PCI?
    >

    > For gaming? Almost certainly.
    > For video editing? Unlikely.

    For the sub $100 market, if you want an all around "decent" card,
    there's the Nvidia 5200 based cards. You can probably find a 8X AGP
    version for well under $100 at your local computer
    shop/CompUSA/Staples/Office Depot/etc. It's PLENTY fast for what you
    want and will be usable in games, watching DVDs, etc.

    Cheers,

Tuner Cards Digital Video Desktops Video Graphics Cards Graphics