Building system - Graphic card suggestion - please?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2004 5:08:02 AM

What's the best graphic card for digital video editing with Premiere Pro for
around $100 - Thanks so much - Carmen Marie
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2004 5:08:03 AM

"Eastman123" wrote ...
> What's the best graphic card for digital video editing with
> Premiere Pro for around $100 - Thanks so much - Carmen Marie

I buy the cheapest one I can find. The "quality" of the video card
has no effect on the editing function.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2004 11:32:35 AM

On 01 Dec 2004 02:08:02 GMT, eastman123@aol.com (Eastman123) wrote:
>What's the best graphic card for digital video editing with Premiere
>Pro for around $100 - Thanks so much - Carmen Marie

Since there is a special forum devoted just to P-Pro, you might
want to go there and ask/read to find out what others are using
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de9c1bf

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2004 6:38:11 PM

But isn't a 128 mb card faster than a 64 mb card. Is AGP better than PCI?
Thanks for any help!
December 1, 2004 7:46:11 PM

Your asking your video card to do simpl 2d presentation. Certainly not all
cards are equal, but for the work your asking it to do in video editing, the
millisecond's increase in speed will not be detectable. The card has no
effect whatsoever on the speed of rendering of video.

Now, what really is better is a dual monitor card. Once you go dual, you
never go back.

"Eastman123" <eastman123@aol.com> wrote in message
> But isn't a 128 mb card faster than a 64 mb card. Is AGP better than PCI?
> Thanks for any help!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2004 9:29:16 PM

AGP is preferred over PCI VGA cards. The only time you need to worry about
which VGA card to use is with some hardware based editing cards. Sometimes
the VGA card will not produce overlay properly which is necessary for seeing
the video you are editing on your computer monitor. If you are using a
simple 1394 device as your input/output source with Premiere Pro most AGP
VGA cards will suffice. ATI, nVidia, and Matrox are good choices for AGP VGA
cards. The amount of RAM on the VGA card does not necessarily make the card
faster, but the AGP level does. Just get a card which matches the AGP slot
on your mainboard, i.e. 2X, 4X, or 8X.

DV editing takes very little power in as far as the VGA card goes. Editing
can comfortably be done with as little as 8MB. When considering using Adobe
Premiere Pro the horsepower of your system will have everything to do with
performance in the "realtime preview" area of the program. With this in mind
the faster the bus on the VGA card the better, so if you have an 8X AGP slot
get an 8X card. Most cards come with a minimum of 32MB and if you are gaming
on the machine as well then more VGA RAM will assist with those.
--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

> What's the best graphic card for digital video editing with Premiere Pro
for
> around $100 - Thanks so much - Carmen Marie
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2004 10:39:53 PM

"Eastman123" wrote ...
> But isn't a 128 mb card faster than a 64 mb card.

Clearly. But a 64mb card is several times more than fast enough
to display video in real time.

> Is AGP better than PCI?

For gaming? Almost certainly.
For video editing? Unlikely.
December 2, 2004 1:50:45 AM

Richard Crowley wrote:
> "Eastman123" wrote ...
>
>>But isn't a 128 mb card faster than a 64 mb card.
>

> Clearly. But a 64mb card is several times more than fast enough
> to display video in real time.
>

>>Is AGP better than PCI?
>

> For gaming? Almost certainly.
> For video editing? Unlikely.

For the sub $100 market, if you want an all around "decent" card,
there's the Nvidia 5200 based cards. You can probably find a 8X AGP
version for well under $100 at your local computer
shop/CompUSA/Staples/Office Depot/etc. It's PLENTY fast for what you
want and will be usable in games, watching DVDs, etc.

Cheers,
!