Should I Replace my Processor?

I am currently running a P4 1.6 processor on a Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra Mobo. I
believe the chipset is the Sis645. The FSB is running at 400Mhz.

The board will support a P4 2.8 processor running a FSB of 533Mhz. It does
not support hyperthreading. The upgraded cpu would cost about $160.

My question is whether the upgrade from the P4 1.6 to the P4 2.8 would give
me a significant decrease in the rendering time the computer takes when
processing video? I like to transfer my video in via firewire and edit it
with Pinnacle Studio 9.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Greg Haas
gfhaas@pacbell.net

Ritz

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004

Greg Haas wrote:

> I am currently running a P4 1.6 processor on a Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra Mobo. I
> believe the chipset is the Sis645. The FSB is running at 400Mhz.
>
> The board will support a P4 2.8 processor running a FSB of 533Mhz. It does
> not support hyperthreading. The upgraded cpu would cost about $160.
>
> My question is whether the upgrade from the P4 1.6 to the P4 2.8 would give
> me a significant decrease in the rendering time the computer takes when
> processing video? I like to transfer my video in via firewire and edit it
> with Pinnacle Studio 9.
>
> Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.
>
> Best Wishes,
>
> Greg Haas
> gfhaas@pacbell.net

If your processor is the bottleneck now, then you should see a notable
improvement in rendering times. If the bottleck is your disk
(reading/writing or both), or lack of memory, or the buggy SiS chipset,
then you won't notice any change at all.

Cheers,

Mac

Greg,

IMO - I'd spend another few buck and upgrade to a more current motherboard
as well. You can often get an 800Mhz FSB P4 for less than the equivalent
533Mhz. You should also be able to reuse your memory - assuming PC2700 of
better.

I just upgraded my 1.7Gig with an old Asus P4S333 to a 3.0E with SOYO MB. MB
only added $60 to the upgrade and total was $260.

Advantages:
Newer chipset supported 800Mhz FSB
Added 2 x SATA
USB 2.0
Able to reuse memory

Hated to go with Socet 478 and AGP but didn't want to fork over for the
memory and video upgrade that would be required to go to 775 processor.