Hi guys... yet another remote assistance problem. Here's the
situation:

I am configuring and testing a Windows Server 2003 environment in a
lab. I have two Windows XP Pro machines that are both members of the
same domain (we have two domains, one being a child of the other, but
both machines and both users are in the child domain, so I don't think
there should be a problem..), with Windows Server 2003 machines acting
as domain controllers. I had a whole bunch of group policies set up,
and in my attempts to get this to work, I've now disabled every single
one of them.

I've enabled both the check boxes on the remote tab of system
properties on both machines. Both users are members of the helpers
list on each other's machines. Both users are domain admins and local
admins on both machines. I have no firewalls running. Through
Windows Messenger, I can successfully initiate a remote assistance
connection. I have no firewalls running and I successfully tested a
telnet connection on port 3389.

The problem is, we have a need for our support staff to be able to
offer remote assistance without the user making a request, but the
"offer remote assistance" feature in Help & Support gives the
following error when I type in the ip address of the other machine:

"Access to the requested resource has been disabled by your
administrator"

The event logs don't have any error messages in them regarding this.

Anybody have any suggestions? Could there be some lingering setting
from my group policies that's still setup? Does anybody know of a GP
or registry setting that specifically restricts the use of the offer
remote assistance function? Could it have anything to do with
certificates?

Any help would be much appreciated... I saw a post from a couple years
ago with this same problem, but there were no responses!
-Ryan Nordman

Have you read the comments appended to this article?

http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Articles/ArticleID/39531/pg/2/2.html

One of these makes me think that perhaps Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
isn't started leads to this error.