XP Home VPN into SBS2003 question

Hello,

Is it possible to have an XP home laptop VPN into a MS SBS2003 server
can use a database application or browse network shares? I don't have
an XP Home machine to test on and I'd like to figure this out.

Thanks,

Steve

Sure.. However, the XP Home machine cannot be a domain member, so
Group Policy settings + login scripts won't run. This won't prevent
you from accessing domain resources, however.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:14:12 GMT, Steve Stewart <steve@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Is it possible to have an XP home laptop VPN into a MS SBS2003 server
>can use a database application or browse network shares? I don't have
>an XP Home machine to test on and I'd like to figure this out.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve

Thanks for the info. Are there any tips or ticks to get his to work?
I'm guessing that I connect the VPN and then map a drive using net
use. Do I need to make the workgroup name match the domain name or
anything of that nature to get it to work? Also, offhand, do you know
if I can connect the XP Home laptops to the exchange server remotely
and in the office? Thanks!

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:27:51 -0500, "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)"
<jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote:

>Sure.. However, the XP Home machine cannot be a domain member, so
>Group Policy settings + login scripts won't run. This won't prevent
>you from accessing domain resources, however.
>
>Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>
>Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>be answered depending on time availability....
>
>Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>
>On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:14:12 GMT, Steve Stewart <steve@nospam.com>
>wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>Is it possible to have an XP home laptop VPN into a MS SBS2003 server
>>can use a database application or browse network shares? I don't have
>>an XP Home machine to test on and I'd like to figure this out.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Steve

You can use NET USE or Map A Network Drive in Explorer. Supply the
username in the form of DOMAINNAME\USERNAME and the domain password.

It is not necessary to match the workgroup name.

As for Exchange, as long as you supply the information properly (see
above), you should have no issues connecting. Note that if you use
RPC over HTTP (on Exchange 2003), you must specify the
Username/Password every time you start Outlook.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com