Bitrate for VCR tapes?

After I capture and edit my VCR tapes. Whats the best bitrate to use
to encode them? I want quality to be as good as the original VCR tape,
but after all its only a VCR tape so 9000k would be a waste right?

(note: I am burning these to DVD.)

thanks,

Jt

Mike

Splendid

"Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:fef4a451.0412010923.695a487c@posting.google.com...
> After I capture and edit my VCR tapes. Whats the best bitrate to use
> to encode them? I want quality to be as good as the original VCR tape,
> but after all its only a VCR tape so 9000k would be a waste right?
>
> (note: I am burning these to DVD.)
>
> thanks,
>
> Jt

Obviously it depends on the source (VHS? SVHS?), but generally
anything over 4000k is a waste. Heck, on most of my VHS
material I can't see any difference over 2500k.

Mike <me@privacy.net> wrote:
: Obviously it depends on the source (VHS? SVHS?), but generally
: anything over 4000k is a waste. Heck, on most of my VHS
: material I can't see any difference over 2500k.

This is not true. If there're fast motions, color changes etc etc, you will
need up to 8mb if your resolution is 704x... or more. However, if you reduce
the resolution to 352x (half D1), then I'd recommend 5-6mb.

The best way to do is use TMPGenc CQ settings at say 85%-90% with maximum
8250mbs. Then it will automatically adjust it to the needed resolution.

--Leonid

"Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> After I capture and edit my VCR tapes. Whats the best bitrate to use
> to encode them? I want quality to be as good as the original VCR tape,
> but after all its only a VCR tape so 9000k would be a waste right?

Transparency (no visual difference between original and copy) is at about
8000K on any kind of source material so going over 8000K is no use (see
http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/tutorial/bitrate.html). Besides, you need
some extra space for sound too, don't you? Video + sound should not go over
9800K if you want to stay within the DVD standard.

If space on the DVD isn't a problem I personally use 8000K CBR bitrate for
video plus 224K for MPEG-1 Layer 2 compressed sound which is sort of a
standard in PAL countries. Every now and then MPEG-2 encoders produce
bitrate spikes so I have ample room for them too. On long movies where DVD
space is an issue I switch to VBR, preferably not lower than 6000K on
average.

Low quality source like from VHS tapes contains a lot of video noise and
thus is hard to encode. Therefore, it can benefit from higher bitrates.
--
Lou van Wijhe
Website: http://home.hccnet.nl/jl.van.wijhe/

Lou van Wijhe <jl.van.wijhe@hccnet.invalid> wrote:
: If space on the DVD isn't a problem I personally use 8000K CBR bitrate for

If you're using TMPGEnc I would advise to not use CBR. I once looked at the
log file and sometimes it just reported buffer overflow 'cause it just didn't
need that bitrate.

--Leonid

jtg30@hotmail.com (Goodner79) wrote:

>After I capture and edit my VCR tapes. Whats the best bitrate to use
>to encode them? I want quality to be as good as the original VCR tape,
>but after all its only a VCR tape so 9000k would be a waste right?
>
>(note: I am burning these to DVD.)

I usually encode VHS captures at half-D1 resolution, and this doesn't
look any different than the original tapes to me. Half-D1 doesn't
require as high of a bitrate as full resolution. 4000kbps should be
plenty unless there is some pretty intense action in the video. I
encode with TMPGEnc, and when using 2-pass VBR encoding, I'll allow
for a 5000-6000kbps maximum bitrate if there is a lot of action.
Running time is sometimes a factor in determining what bitrate to use.
If you're planning to fit more than 2 hours (at half-D1) on a disc,
then it would probably be best to use VBR encoding.

This web page has some graphs which show appropriate bitrates to use
for various resolutions (scroll down about half way for the graphs):
http://www.digitalfaq.com/capture/avivsmpeg.htm

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:35:47 +0100, "Lou van Wijhe"
<jl.van.wijhe@hccnet.invalid> wrote:

>"Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> After I capture and edit my VCR tapes. Whats the best bitrate to use
>> to encode them? I want quality to be as good as the original VCR tape,
>> but after all its only a VCR tape so 9000k would be a waste right?

If it's only a VCR tape, then it doesn't give you a higher resolution
than 352x480 (NTSC) / 352x576 (PAL). So the waste starts by using a
resolution of 704 or 720 x 480/576.

>Transparency (no visual difference between original and copy) is at about
>8000K on any kind of source material so going over 8000K is no use (see
>http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/tutorial/bitrate.html). Besides, you need
>some extra space for sound too, don't you? Video + sound should not go over
>9800K if you want to stay within the DVD standard.

If using 352x480/576, divide those figues by 2, approx.

>Low quality source like from VHS tapes contains a lot of video noise and
>thus is hard to encode. Therefore, it can benefit from higher bitrates.

So it benefits all the more by an antinoise processing.

"Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:35:47 +0100, "Lou van Wijhe"
> <jl.van.wijhe@hccnet.invalid> wrote:
>
> >"Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> >> After I capture and edit my VCR tapes. Whats the best bitrate to use
> >> to encode them? I want quality to be as good as the original VCR tape,
> >> but after all its only a VCR tape so 9000k would be a waste right?
>
> If it's only a VCR tape, then it doesn't give you a higher resolution
> than 352x480 (NTSC) / 352x576 (PAL). So the waste starts by using a
> resolution of 704 or 720 x 480/576.

Sampling theory tells you that if you want to reproduce the original that
you have to sample at twice the resolution. Capturing a signal that has 352
resolution at 352 is going to generate loss.

The OP poster should approach this as follows. First, he should determine
what data rates will yield his minimum and optimum target goals for
conserving storage space. Second, he should capture at both of those
resolution/bitrates and then capture the quality. If he sees no significant
difference then he should go for the optimum. If he does then he should
pick another optimum somewhere in between and repeat until the optimum and
the minimum yield visually the same or close enough results.

There are many factors (especially noise) that prevent anyone from giving
him a hard answer. The tradeoffs are artifacts, sharpness, and bitrate.
And you have to experiment to draw a satisfactory conclusion. However I
agree that horizontal resolution (720, 704, 480, and 352) and bitrate are
the key parameters in your fiddling.

"FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote in

> "Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:35:47 +0100, "Lou van Wijhe"
>> <jl.van.wijhe@hccnet.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> >"Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>>
>> If it's only a VCR tape, then it doesn't give you a higher
>> resolution than 352x480 (NTSC) / 352x576 (PAL). So the waste
>> starts by using a resolution of 704 or 720 x 480/576.
>
> Sampling theory tells you that if you want to reproduce the
> original that you have to sample at twice the resolution.
> Capturing a signal that has 352 resolution at 352 is going to
> generate loss.

I don't think creating an output file of 352 lines resolution is the
same as sampling at 352 lines...

Gino

<SNIP other topic>

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

"Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote in message
> "FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote in
>

> > "Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message

> >> If it's only a VCR tape, then it doesn't give you a higher
> >> resolution than 352x480 (NTSC) / 352x576 (PAL). So the waste
> >> starts by using a resolution of 704 or 720 x 480/576.
> >
> > Sampling theory tells you that if you want to reproduce the
> > original that you have to sample at twice the resolution.
> > Capturing a signal that has 352 resolution at 352 is going to
> > generate loss.
> >

> I don't think creating an output file of 352 lines resolution is the
> same as sampling at 352 lines...

Probably not. The capture device's NTSC decoder may be sampling at 704 and
applying a low pass resampling filter to 352. Which meets the criteria
needed to perfectly reconstruct a original image of 352 resolution... in
theory.

However, I was just trying to make the point that if you have a 352
resolution image and put it through all that to get back to 352, it's quite
likely that you're going to suffer degradation of the image. Quoting
Nyquist probably wasn't the best way to make that point.

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:05:58 GMT, "FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not
not)notmail.com> wrote:

>Sampling theory tells you that if you want to reproduce the original that
>you have to sample at twice the resolution.

I'm afraid I would need some demonstration on this. Anyway, what about
capturing at 704, but encoding at 352?

> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:05:58 GMT, "FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not
> not)notmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Sampling theory tells you that if you want to reproduce the original that
> >you have to sample at twice the resolution.
>
> I'm afraid I would need some demonstration on this. Anyway, what about
> capturing at 704, but encoding at 352?

You can get more info by searching on Nyquist. Basically it's a theorem
that states an analog signal must be sampled at least twice the frequency of
it's highest frequency component in order to be reconstructed perfectly when
converting it later back to analog.

In reality the sampling is done inside a chip called an NTSC/PAL decoder,
and when capturing at 352 it's quite likely that the decoder is already
sampling at fixed clock of 704 pixels per line. Depending on the design of
the capture card, it's also likely that the decoder is resampling down to
352 with filtering to remove higher frequency components of the signal that
would produce aliasing effects.

So technically my comment doesn't exactly apply. However, it's very likely
that capturing a signal at 352, which has a resolution close to that, that
you would lose some quality. Especially given the variable quality of
capture devices. The OP should really perform his own tests as I suggested
in my first post to ascertain the best tradeoff between storage and quality.

FLY135 <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote:
:> I'm afraid I would need some demonstration on this. Anyway, what about
:> capturing at 704, but encoding at 352?

My rule of thumb is if VHS is looking good and sharp, I capture and encode at
704x... just in case. If it doesn't look that great I capture at 704x... then
when I encode, I resize it to 352x... first and then feed it to encoder.

: that states an analog signal must be sampled at least twice the frequency of
: it's highest frequency component in order to be reconstructed perfectly when
: converting it later back to analog.

So do you mean that one needs to capture and encode at 704x... or do you mean
that capturing at 704x... is sufficient enough to reconstruct the analog signal
even though it was resized to 352x?

--Leonid

"Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote in message
> FLY135 <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote:
> :> I'm afraid I would need some demonstration on this. Anyway, what about
> :> capturing at 704, but encoding at 352?
>
> My rule of thumb is if VHS is looking good and sharp, I capture and encode
at
> 704x... just in case. If it doesn't look that great I capture at 704x...
then
> when I encode, I resize it to 352x... first and then feed it to encoder.
>
> : that states an analog signal must be sampled at least twice the
frequency of
> : it's highest frequency component in order to be reconstructed perfectly
when
> : converting it later back to analog.
>
> So do you mean that one needs to capture and encode at 704x... or do you
mean
> that capturing at 704x... is sufficient enough to reconstruct the analog
signal
> even though it was resized to 352x?

Actually this whole thing delves a bit into the unknown. It's unknown
exactly what is the analog horizontal resolution of the VHS signal. And
it's unknown exactly how the sampling and filtering is handled by the
capture card. Which brings us back to the issue that this can only be
resolved on a "tape by tape" and "capture card by capture card" basis
through empirical testing.

Off hand my first assumption is that capturing at 704 and then resampling in
software if desired to a horz res of 480 or 352 would be the way to go.

The Nyquist sampling theorem is quite straightforward when applied to analog
signals like audio that are sampled, digitized, and then reconverted back to
analog. That's why 44.1Khz is such a common sample freq, because it gives
you a good audio bandwidth of 20+Khz. But even though the same theorem
applies to video, understanding the frequency components involved and how
they relate to the picture quality and pixel resolution is not that clear.

FLY135 <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote:
: The Nyquist sampling theorem is quite straightforward when applied to analog
: signals like audio that are sampled, digitized, and then reconverted back to
: analog. That's why 44.1Khz is such a common sample freq, because it gives
: you a good audio bandwidth of 20+Khz. But even though the same theorem
: applies to video, understanding the frequency components involved and how
: they relate to the picture quality and pixel resolution is not that clear.

According to this theory if I play the 720x480 DVD on analog TV, then it
shows 360x240.

> FLY135 <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote:
> : The Nyquist sampling theorem is quite straightforward when applied to
analog
> : signals like audio that are sampled, digitized, and then reconverted
back to
> : analog. That's why 44.1Khz is such a common sample freq, because it
gives
> : you a good audio bandwidth of 20+Khz. But even though the same theorem
> : applies to video, understanding the frequency components involved and
how
> : they relate to the picture quality and pixel resolution is not that
clear.

> According to this theory if I play the 720x480 DVD on analog TV, then it
> shows 360x240.

Actually sampling in the vertical dimension is discrete and not analog so
Nyquist doesn't apply. But yes when you sample an image in the horizontal,
the sample freq limits the horizontal resolution. What you also have to
keep in mind is that spacial sampling (i.e. pixel resolution) is not the
same as frequency, which is what Nyquist applies to. This muddies the water
when trying to figure out how to relate the two. But there is a
relationship.

The best way to understand why sampling an image at the same pixel
resolution that it capable of containing results in loss can be demonstrated
by the following...

A VHS tape is a analog image that has no discrete pixel information. But
the assumption is that given a particular pixel resolution that you could
faithfully reproduce the VHS image. However if you sample at that same
resolution, the sample point may lie between points of interest in the
image. This is why Nyquist requires you sample at twice the highest
frequency of interest. Otherwise it's possible that the finest detail that
you are trying to reproduce will not fall on the sample point. And if the
finest detail was a pattern at the max freq, it could be missed entirely if
it was out of phase with the sample pattern of the same freq.

However you need to remember that I previously posted that the NTSC/PAL
video decoder probably has a fixed sample of 704 pixels per scan line plus
may do the resampling to 352 internally so a lot of what I'm saying isn't as
important as it sounds. Also the audio analogy breaks down in that while
audio retains the 2x freq sample until playback, video pixels and frequency
are not the same so storing at 360 doesn't mean that you can only see 180
when it displayed.

If you store an alternating black/white pixel pattern at 360 pixels, when
displayed you will see the same 360 alternating pattern. However if you
sample an alternating black/white pattern of 360 pixels at 360 pixels, *and*
your sample clock isn't synchronized to the pattern (which it isn't when
looking at analog video) then you might just see gray.

Also if you sample that 360 pattern with a 352 pixel clock then you will see
a moire that is refered to as aliasing. Aliasing occurs when the sample
freq is not at least twice the highest frequency in the sampled signal.
NTSC/PAL video decoders have filtering to deal with this, and the incoming
NTSC/PAL has a known bandwidth.

> "Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote in message
>> "FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote in
>>

>> > "Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message

>> > Sampling theory tells you that if you want to reproduce the
>> > original that you have to sample at twice the resolution.
>> > Capturing a signal that has 352 resolution at 352 is going to
>> > generate loss.
>> >

>> I don't think creating an output file of 352 lines resolution is
>> the same as sampling at 352 lines...
>
> Probably not. The capture device's NTSC decoder may be sampling
> at 704 and applying a low pass resampling filter to 352. Which
> meets the criteria needed to perfectly reconstruct a original
> image of 352 resolution... in theory.
>
> However, I was just trying to make the point that if you have a
> 352 resolution image and put it through all that to get back to
> 352, it's quite likely that you're going to suffer degradation of
> the image. Quoting Nyquist probably wasn't the best way to make
> that point.

Fair enough - guess I should have seen it as a rhetorical device :)

Thanks,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

FLY135 <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote:
: Actually sampling in the vertical dimension is discrete and not analog so

Hold on. Discrete can still be analog. Video - is frame based. There're finite
number of frames in the video. So it is discrete. Yet it is analog.

: However you need to remember that I previously posted that the NTSC/PAL
: video decoder probably has a fixed sample of 704 pixels per scan line plus
: may do the resampling to 352 internally so a lot of what I'm saying isn't as

Does it resample to 352 internally even if I capture at 704x...?

: Also if you sample that 360 pattern with a 352 pixel clock then you will see
: a moire that is refered to as aliasing. Aliasing occurs when the sample
: freq is not at least twice the highest frequency in the sampled signal.
: NTSC/PAL video decoders have filtering to deal with this, and the incoming
: NTSC/PAL has a known bandwidth.

What if I sample 640x... signal with 704x...?

> FLY135 <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote:
> : Actually sampling in the vertical dimension is discrete and not analog
so

> Hold on. Discrete can still be analog. Video - is frame based. There're
finite
> number of frames in the video. So it is discrete. Yet it is analog.

By discrete and not analog I mean that there is a discrete fixed interval
between samples. For example 1 frame every 1/29.97 seconds or 1 scan line
every 64 microsecs is discrete. There is no discrete increments along the
scan line as pixels don't exist in NTSC video.

When a scan line of video is captured, the bandwidth limitation is related
to the pixel sampling clock. Each scan line is captured one after another
and there is no bandwidth limitation in the vertical direction. No matter
how slow or fast your pixel sampling clock is, there is nothing that changes
WRT the vertical resolution. The sampled data doesn't really know if all
the pixels are on one line or 240 lines. It makes no difference. I.E.
there is no way to blur the image (low pass filter) in the vertical
direction by speeding up or slowing down the pixel sampling clock (within
reason).

If you had alternating scan lines of black and white, no matter what
horizontal resolution you capture at, you will still get the same
black/white lines pairs. Of course you can capture only 1 field per frame
and that would cause you to lose the pattern. But.... you would not get a
gray image, you would get either black or white. This is an indication that
you aren't losing bandwidth. You are simply choosing to throw away half the
image. Which is frequently how capturing at 240 in the vertical is done.

> : However you need to remember that I previously posted that the NTSC/PAL
> : video decoder probably has a fixed sample of 704 pixels per scan line
plus
> : may do the resampling to 352 internally so a lot of what I'm saying
isn't as

> Does it resample to 352 internally even if I capture at 704x...?

I believe that all the NTSC decoders have a fixed pixel sampling clock at
either 704 or 720 pixels per line. Some decoders can resample internally to
352 or 360. but no matter what card you have, it defintely *doesn't*
resample to 352 if you are capturing at 704.

> : Also if you sample that 360 pattern with a 352 pixel clock then you will
see
> : a moire that is refered to as aliasing. Aliasing occurs when the sample
> : freq is not at least twice the highest frequency in the sampled signal.
> : NTSC/PAL video decoders have filtering to deal with this, and the
incoming
> : NTSC/PAL has a known bandwidth.
>

> What if I sample 640x... signal with 704x...?

There is no such thing as a 640 NTSC signal. NTSC video is analog and the
pixel resolution comes into play when the NTSC decoder samples the video.
Most decoders sample at 704. I'm not sure if there are many (or any) that
sample at 640, but IIRC the Pinnacle DC10+ captures at 640 so it probably
has a sample clock set to that frequency. If you capture with a standard TV
tuner card at 640, it probably samples at 704 and then resamples to 640.
The decoder chip or associated software will apply the proper filtering with
the resample to eliminate aliasing.

FLY135 <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote:
: By discrete and not analog I mean that there is a discrete fixed interval
: between samples. For example 1 frame every 1/29.97 seconds or 1 scan line
: every 64 microsecs is discrete. There is no discrete increments along the
: scan line as pixels don't exist in NTSC video.

Ok, I think I got it. Thanks.

: I believe that all the NTSC decoders have a fixed pixel sampling clock at
: either 704 or 720 pixels per line. Some decoders can resample internally to
: 352 or 360. but no matter what card you have, it defintely *doesn't*
: resample to 352 if you are capturing at 704.

How do I find out what pixels per line it has?

Ok, my decoder is Philips SAA7133. It says Sample rate 720 pixels/line (ITU 601).
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat_download/literature/9397/75010348.pdf (page 5 of 6).

Yet when I capture 720 it captures at 704 and stretches it to 720x...

> FLY135 <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote:
> : By discrete and not analog I mean that there is a discrete fixed
interval
> : between samples. For example 1 frame every 1/29.97 seconds or 1 scan
line
> : every 64 microsecs is discrete. There is no discrete increments along
the
> : scan line as pixels don't exist in NTSC video.
>
> Ok, I think I got it. Thanks.
>
> : I believe that all the NTSC decoders have a fixed pixel sampling clock
at
> : either 704 or 720 pixels per line. Some decoders can resample
internally to
> : 352 or 360. but no matter what card you have, it defintely *doesn't*
> : resample to 352 if you are capturing at 704.
>
> How do I find out what pixels per line it has?
>
> Ok, my decoder is Philips SAA7133. It says Sample rate 720 pixels/line
(ITU 601).

http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat_download/literature/9397/75010348.pdf
(page 5 of 6).

> Yet when I capture 720 it captures at 704 and stretches it to 720x...

Just curious. How do you know this?

I couldn't find a document on the SAA7133 that has the register programming
information. But I do have a document for the SAA7114. You can capture 704
by setting the horz window length to 704 and upscale it to 720 by setting
the fine scale ratio to 720/704. It doesn't change the pixel sample clock,
but just throws away the information on the edge (i.e. crops the video).

I'm guessing that capture card makers don't want to deal with the support
grief of capturing a 720 horz window and having everyone complain that there
is garbage on the edge of the captured video. So instead they crop the
edges and stretch it back to 720.

FLY135 <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote:
:> Yet when I capture 720 it captures at 704 and stretches it to 720x...

: Just curious. How do you know this?

I made the DVD from VHS and played back back to back both the original VHS and
the DVD. Paused and compared. The DVD image definitely was stretched. When I
reduced it to 704 and re-authored and then performed the test, it looked
almost identical. Actually the aspect ration seemed to be perfect, but the
image was shifted to the side (I don't remember which side) by a few pixels.
I don't deny the fact that it's not 704, or mabye 700 or 708.
I know that BT878 is not 704 but something else. Erratic said it was 696 and
it was about right.

: information. But I do have a document for the SAA7114. You can capture 704
: by setting the horz window length to 704 and upscale it to 720 by setting
: the fine scale ratio to 720/704. It doesn't change the pixel sample clock,
: but just throws away the information on the edge (i.e. crops the video).

Can you eleborate how to do it in capture software? Do you mean it's going to
be 720x... full image with black bars added so that the active image will be
704x... ?

: I'm guessing that capture card makers don't want to deal with the support
: grief of capturing a 720 horz window and having everyone complain that there
: is garbage on the edge of the captured video. So instead they crop the
: edges and stretch it back to 720.

That same Philips chip used in Pinnacle Pro-One, but they get the correct
aspect ratio capturing 720x480. So I guess they must be adding black bars on
the edges or something.

> FLY135 <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote:
> : information. But I do have a document for the SAA7114. You can capture
704
> : by setting the horz window length to 704 and upscale it to 720 by
setting
> : the fine scale ratio to 720/704. It doesn't change the pixel sample
clock,
> : but just throws away the information on the edge (i.e. crops the video).
>

> Can you eleborate how to do it in capture software? Do you mean it's going
> be 720x... full image with black bars added so that the active image will
be
> 704x... ?

These kind of settings are probably not accessible from the capture
software. I'm referring to the way that the device driver sets up the chip.
And I mean it would probably be a 720 stretched version of a 704 image.
Which goes along with your test that indicates the image has been stretched.

> : I'm guessing that capture card makers don't want to deal with the
support
> : grief of capturing a 720 horz window and having everyone complain that
there
> : is garbage on the edge of the captured video. So instead they crop the
> : edges and stretch it back to 720.
>

> That same Philips chip used in Pinnacle Pro-One, but they get the correct
> aspect ratio capturing 720x480. So I guess they must be adding black bars
on
> the edges or something.

I'm not sure what they are doing. All of things that I'm saying are generic
and not necessarily indicative how any particular capture board is
implemented. I work on embedded software for standalone MPEG codecs used
for video surveillance. Programming the NTSC video decoders and encoders is
part of what I do, but basically I take the recommended register settings
and use that unless there is some particular tweak that is needed. My video
decoders are programmed to ITU-R BT (CCIR) 601 720x480 (or the PAL equiv)
and the resolution resampling is done in the MPEG codec.

On 6 Dec 2004 21:46:16 GMT, Leonid Makarovsky <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote:

>I know that BT878 is not 704 but something else. Erratic said it was 696 and
>it was about right.

It's 696 for PAL but 688 for NTSC. There's a test-method at Doom9 for
determining the active capture window of a capture card.
http://www.doom9.org/capture/capture_window.html

FLY135 <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote:
: implemented. I work on embedded software for standalone MPEG codecs used
: for video surveillance. Programming the NTSC video decoders and encoders is
: part of what I do, but basically I take the recommended register settings
: and use that unless there is some particular tweak that is needed. My video
: decoders are programmed to ITU-R BT (CCIR) 601 720x480 (or the PAL equiv)
: and the resolution resampling is done in the MPEG codec.

Interesting. What decoders and encoders (the brand name) do you deal with?

--Leonid