RA Connects for novice but not expert.

Hi -
I am trying to offer RA to another XP Pro user and can't seem to make our
connection work. I am behind a firewall/NAT device that I can control and
can
even make may machine a DMZ without solveing our connection problem. Both
machines are enabled for RA. When the session is started by the novice with
an invitation from Messenger I can accept it and the novice indicates that
we
are connected but my machine looks the same and gives no indication that the
session is in progress. Where can I go from here to try and debug the
session?
Thanks

Try opening TCP Port 3389 on the firewall/NAT...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301529

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:TPOdnUVmu4jHF7HcRVn-rA@comcast.com...
> Hi -
> I am trying to offer RA to another XP Pro user and can't seem to make our
> connection work. I am behind a firewall/NAT device that I can control and
> can
> even make may machine a DMZ without solveing our connection problem. Both
> machines are enabled for RA. When the session is started by the novice with
> an invitation from Messenger I can accept it and the novice indicates that
> we
> are connected but my machine looks the same and gives no indication that the
> session is in progress. Where can I go from here to try and debug the
> session?
> Thanks

Hi there -
No luck after opening port 3389. I was able to remotely connect to another
XP pro machine that also has a broadband connection and wonder if the fact
that my Mom is on a dial up connection is what is causing the problem. I get
a message that I have accepted her invitation and waited 10 minutes without
seeing anything change. Connecting to another machine on a fast connection
only too seconds. Is there a way to monitor the progress of establishing a
session to see more clearly where things are stuck?
Thanks

> Try opening TCP Port 3389 on the firewall/NAT...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301529
>

> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi -
> > I am trying to offer RA to another XP Pro user and can't seem to make
our
> > connection work. I am behind a firewall/NAT device that I can control
and
> > can
> > even make may machine a DMZ without solveing our connection problem.
Both
> > machines are enabled for RA. When the session is started by the novice
with
> > an invitation from Messenger I can accept it and the novice indicates
that
> > we
> > are connected but my machine looks the same and gives no indication that
the
> > session is in progress. Where can I go from here to try and debug the
> > session?
> > Thanks

Over a dialup link it can take awhile. Does it timeout?

--

"Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Kt6dnT8WU-JJEbLcRVn-rQ@comcast.com...
> Hi there -
> No luck after opening port 3389. I was able to remotely connect to another
> XP pro machine that also has a broadband connection and wonder if the fact
> that my Mom is on a dial up connection is what is causing the problem. I get
> a message that I have accepted her invitation and waited 10 minutes without
> seeing anything change. Connecting to another machine on a fast connection
> only too seconds. Is there a way to monitor the progress of establishing a
> session to see more clearly where things are stuck?
> Thanks
>
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Try opening TCP Port 3389 on the firewall/NAT...
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301529
>>

>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>>
>> "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi -
>> > I am trying to offer RA to another XP Pro user and can't seem to make
> our
>> > connection work. I am behind a firewall/NAT device that I can control
> and
>> > can
>> > even make may machine a DMZ without solveing our connection problem.
> Both
>> > machines are enabled for RA. When the session is started by the novice
> with
>> > an invitation from Messenger I can accept it and the novice indicates
> that
>> > we
>> > are connected but my machine looks the same and gives no indication that
> the
>> > session is in progress. Where can I go from here to try and debug the
>> > session?
>> > Thanks

There was no indication that anything was going on at all. We let the whole
thing sit for 15 minutes and gave up.Is there a way to track to distinguish
if it is makeing slow progress or just hung?