1394 cannot find external hard disk

Hi all,

I've a laptop compaq 1500,
my computer cannot see the ext. hard drive connected through the 1394 firewire.
in the device manager there is an erroe in disk drives
'prolific PL5307 Combo Device IEEE 1394 ...
'this device cannot start'

I've tried the ext. disk with other computers and it works.
I've tried the automatic 'reinstall driver' but it did not find anything.

any suggestions ?

thanks
Ralph

rs

Do you also have other devices that you know for sure work correctly with
this firewire port? If yes, then you have an odd problem, if no, then since
you have used the drive on other computers, there would appear to be some
problem with the firewire port.

"ralph401" <ralph401@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've a laptop compaq 1500,
> my computer cannot see the ext. hard drive connected through the 1394
firewire.
> in the device manager there is an erroe in disk drives
> 'prolific PL5307 Combo Device IEEE 1394 ...
> 'this device cannot start'
>
> I've tried the ext. disk with other computers and it works.
> I've tried the automatic 'reinstall driver' but it did not find anything.
>
> any suggestions ?
>
> thanks
> Ralph

Ritz

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004

ralph401 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've a laptop compaq 1500,
> my computer cannot see the ext. hard drive connected through the 1394 firewire.
> in the device manager there is an erroe in disk drives
> 'prolific PL5307 Combo Device IEEE 1394 ...
> 'this device cannot start'
>
> I've tried the ext. disk with other computers and it works.
> I've tried the automatic 'reinstall driver' but it did not find anything.
>
> any suggestions ?
>
> thanks
> Ralph

What OS are you running on the laptop? It is possible that you might
need a device driver to "see" the drive.

Cheers,