Offer Remote Assistance

August 25, 2004 5:16:54 PM

I have a win2000 domain system with client computers running a combination
of XP home/Pro. I am trying to set it up so that I (support staff) can
offer remote assistance to other users without having to explain to them how
to send an invitation. When they send me an invitation, remote assistance
works well.

I have set up the group policy on the client computers for me and any of the
domain administrators to be a "helper." But I keep getting the error
"Access to the requested resource has been disabled by your administrator"
or occasionally on some computers, I still get the error "Permission denied"
when I offer assistance.

I would like to know of someone who has gotten this to work on thier systems
and how they were able get it to work.

Sam
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 2:14:38 AM

You won't be able to get this to work on XP Home machines, I believe.
Although RA is a feature in XP Home, XP Home can't join the domain, and
that's required for the policy to work.

"Sam Womack" <sam@sandacom.com> wrote in message
>I have a win2000 domain system with client computers running a combination
> of XP home/Pro. I am trying to set it up so that I (support staff) can
> offer remote assistance to other users without having to explain to them
> how
> to send an invitation. When they send me an invitation, remote assistance
> works well.
>
> I have set up the group policy on the client computers for me and any of
> the
> domain administrators to be a "helper." But I keep getting the error
> "Access to the requested resource has been disabled by your administrator"
> or occasionally on some computers, I still get the error "Permission
> denied"
> when I offer assistance.
>
> I would like to know of someone who has gotten this to work on thier
> systems
> and how they were able get it to work.
>
> Sam

August 26, 2004 1:10:02 PM

If using group policy make sure that the 'helpers' you
define are in the folowing format within the 'helper
piece of remote assistance. i.e domain=music global
group= G_remotehelp (add users that will help to this
group) then under helpers add MUSIC\G_remotehelp.
Restart pc or let GPO update then you can send remote
assitance from the helpers pc to the person/computer that
needs help. (this is a computer policy not a user policy

!