Offer Remote Assistance

I have a win2000 domain system with client computers running a combination
of XP home/Pro. I am trying to set it up so that I (support staff) can
offer remote assistance to other users without having to explain to them how
to send an invitation. When they send me an invitation, remote assistance
works well.

I have set up the group policy on the client computers for me and any of the
domain administrators to be a "helper." But I keep getting the error
"Access to the requested resource has been disabled by your administrator"
or occasionally on some computers, I still get the error "Permission denied"
when I offer assistance.

I would like to know of someone who has gotten this to work on thier systems
and how they were able get it to work.

Sam
2 answers Last reply
More about offer remote assistance

    You won't be able to get this to work on XP Home machines, I believe.
    Although RA is a feature in XP Home, XP Home can't join the domain, and
    that's required for the policy to work.

    "Sam Womack" <sam@sandacom.com> wrote in message
    >I have a win2000 domain system with client computers running a combination
    > of XP home/Pro. I am trying to set it up so that I (support staff) can
    > offer remote assistance to other users without having to explain to them
    > how
    > to send an invitation. When they send me an invitation, remote assistance
    > works well.
    >
    > I have set up the group policy on the client computers for me and any of
    > the
    > domain administrators to be a "helper." But I keep getting the error
    > "Access to the requested resource has been disabled by your administrator"
    > or occasionally on some computers, I still get the error "Permission
    > denied"
    > when I offer assistance.
    >
    > I would like to know of someone who has gotten this to work on thier
    > systems
    > and how they were able get it to work.
    >
    > Sam

    If using group policy make sure that the 'helpers' you
    define are in the folowing format within the 'helper
    piece of remote assistance. i.e domain=music global
    group= G_remotehelp (add users that will help to this
    group) then under helpers add MUSIC\G_remotehelp.
    Restart pc or let GPO update then you can send remote
    assitance from the helpers pc to the person/computer that
    needs help. (this is a computer policy not a user policy

Computers Windows XP