Work Laptop (XP Pro in Domain) to Home Laptop (XPH WorkGro..

Hi

Wanting to copy files from my work laptop (XP Pro) to my home laptop (XP
Home) and vice versa over wireless. The restrictions are that my Domain Name
password on my work laptop is cached, so I cannot join a Workgroup without
trashing the domain password and getting IT Admin involved everytime to
rejoin me to domain.

I can succesfully connect wirelessly over IP using an Ad Hoc connection but
cannot swap files due to not being on same Workgroup.

Are there any workarounds e.g. using an application to swap files over IP or
is there a simpler solution? The ideal would be to have a drive mapped that
could be used everytime the laptops connected. Print and automatic syncing
would be nice but not essential.

I do not want to introduce any new protocols e.g. Netbeui, IPX to my work
laptop. Thanks for any assistance.
--
Peter
1 answer Last reply

    Hi Peter,

    If open up an window to 'My Computer' and select 'Map Network Drive',
    there is a link saying 'Connect using a different user name'.
    You should be able to connect from your work laptop to a shared folder
    on your home laptop by mapping the drive, but using a username/password that
    is valid on the home laptop.

    Thanks,
    Chris Gual [MSFT]

    "Peter C." <PeterC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Wanting to copy files from my work laptop (XP Pro) to my home laptop (XP
    > Home) and vice versa over wireless. The restrictions are that my Domain
    > Name
    > password on my work laptop is cached, so I cannot join a Workgroup without
    > trashing the domain password and getting IT Admin involved everytime to
    > rejoin me to domain.
    >
    > I can succesfully connect wirelessly over IP using an Ad Hoc connection
    > but
    > cannot swap files due to not being on same Workgroup.
    >
    > Are there any workarounds e.g. using an application to swap files over IP
    > or
    > is there a simpler solution? The ideal would be to have a drive mapped
    > that
    > could be used everytime the laptops connected. Print and automatic syncing
    > would be nice but not essential.
    >
    > I do not want to introduce any new protocols e.g. Netbeui, IPX to my work
    > laptop. Thanks for any assistance.
    > --
    > Peter

Laptops Domain Windows XP Wireless Networking