Where do I find my WINS or DNS resolved machine name ....

August 26, 2004 1:13:06 PM

I'm trying to utlize the remote desktop options for windows xp/ I was
unsuccessful in getting the remote desktop option working and am tryin g to
get the remote web option to work and am having trouble finding the required
WINS & DNS resolved machine names. Where do I find this information? And does
having my xp computer running through a router affect the remote access.
August 27, 2004 3:02:37 AM

Hello,

To answer your router question, Yes and No.
If both computers are inside a "broadband" router than you should not have
to do anything.
If you are trying to connect from outside your router, than you need to
allow port 3389 to pass through to the internal IP address from the
Internet.

If you give a little more specifics I could try and help.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 9:37:03 AM

Both of my comuters connect to the internet through the same router. I'm
trying to setup remote desktop so when I'm on the road I can connect to me
desktop comptuer using my laptop. Do you have instructions on how to open
port 3389?

"Sean" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> To answer your router question, Yes and No.
> If both computers are inside a "broadband" router than you should not have
> to do anything.
> If you are trying to connect from outside your router, than you need to
> allow port 3389 to pass through to the internal IP address from the
> Internet.
>
> If you give a little more specifics I could try and help.

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 11:54:24 AM

It depends on the router...

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Call using the public IP of the router, ie. the IP assigned by your ISP...

Go to either of the these two sites to get the public IP of your router from your desktop...

http://www.whatismyip.com/
http://checkip.dyndns.org/

If your ISP assigns a dynamic IP to your router, then another solution is to setup an account with
one of the dynamic naming services that map a fully qualified domain name to the IP. In my case I
use a FREE service from No-IP.com. The No-IP.com software runs on my XP Pro box and on a time
schedule basis contacts the No-IP.com servers. The No-IP.com servers then know what your IP is and
maps that to a fully qualified domain name. That information is then propagated over the public
internet. You could then call the client PC using the fully qualified domain name. It works very
well for me when I call my home network using Remote Desktop.

http://www.no-ip.com

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

!