computer with no monitor -- how to run

I am contemplating replacing an older P II computer. I'd like to
continue using it for certain purposes by sticking it under the desk and
just letting it run 24/7. I have a wireless router and it is plugged
into that network via cable at present. I can access the various hard
drives on it over the network from another computer.

The question is whether or not there is a way in which I can maintain
that computer without it having a monitor, keyboard or mouse attached?
Clearly, it would continue to run any programs that were started, but
how can I start programs over the network?

The computer is running XP Home. It has 128 meg memory -- the max
allowed and is a Pentium II+. My other computer is running XP Pro.

Any pointers to where to look for generic info would be appreciated, as
well as specific suggestions.

--
R. Dale Shipp
dale@_delete_this_min.net

    You can get the KVM as Null points out (Sorry), there are
    some nice little 2 units versions you can pick up for
    maybe 30 bucks.
    You may need it too, a lot of older MBs won't boot w/o a
    KB and / or Mouse.
    Once running though you can use VNC or ?? to connect
    remotely.

    I have a machine that runs my house and thats what I do,
    although I use Remote Desktop.

    KlK, MCSE

    R. Dale Shipp wrote:
    > I am contemplating replacing an older P II computer. I'd like to
    > continue using it for certain purposes by sticking it under the desk and
    > just letting it run 24/7. I have a wireless router and it is plugged
    > into that network via cable at present. I can access the various hard
    > drives on it over the network from another computer.
    >
    > The question is whether or not there is a way in which I can maintain
    > that computer without it having a monitor, keyboard or mouse attached?
    > Clearly, it would continue to run any programs that were started, but
    > how can I start programs over the network?
    >
    > The computer is running XP Home. It has 128 meg memory -- the max
    > allowed and is a Pentium II+. My other computer is running XP Pro.
    >
    > Any pointers to where to look for generic info would be appreciated, as
    > well as specific suggestions.

    You could buy a KVM switch and cables so you can share one
    monitor/mouse/keyboard between the two PCs.

    posted here.

    A KVM switch is definitely one solution, but you may be able to get by with
    just VNC alone.

    You need to ensure that the system will boot without a keyboard, mouse or
    monitor. Sometimes this means changing bios settings about detecting
    keyboard errors, and some OS'es throw up an error when a mouse is not
    detected.

    VNC needs to load as a service. Put a password on it. This requires at
    least two boots in my experience. I like the current builds of UltraVNC,
    myself.

    You'll need to set up an autologon, using TweakUI or start, run, control
    userpasswords2, and unchecking the checkbox at the top of the users tab.
    I'm uncertain whether the latter method works on XP home.

    This all works best if there's a monitor and keyboard within striking
    distance of the headless machine, in case of an unexpected issue which
    crashes VNC and isn't resolved by a hardware reset.

    "R. Dale Shipp" <dale@_delete_min.net> wrote in message
    >I am contemplating replacing an older P II computer. I'd like to
    > continue using it for certain purposes by sticking it under the desk and
    > just letting it run 24/7. I have a wireless router and it is plugged
    > into that network via cable at present. I can access the various hard
    > drives on it over the network from another computer.
    >
    > The question is whether or not there is a way in which I can maintain
    > that computer without it having a monitor, keyboard or mouse attached?
    > Clearly, it would continue to run any programs that were started, but
    > how can I start programs over the network?
    >
    > The computer is running XP Home. It has 128 meg memory -- the max
    > allowed and is a Pentium II+. My other computer is running XP Pro.
    >
    > Any pointers to where to look for generic info would be appreciated, as
    > well as specific suggestions.
    >
    > --
    > R. Dale Shipp
    > dale@_delete_this_min.net

    In article <OynKVf6iEHA.1140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, null@planetzero.com
    says...
    > You could buy a KVM switch and cables so you can share one
    > monitor/mouse/keyboard between the two PCs.

    I've seen those switches. Worth taking a look at, thanks.

    --
    R. Dale Shipp
    dale@_delete_this_min.net

    In article <0daa01c48ba9$237376c0$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > Once running though you can use VNC or ?? to connect
    > remotely.

    What is VNC?

    > I have a machine that runs my house and thats what I do,
    > although I use Remote Desktop.

    The computer I want to set up is using XP Home. Will Remote Desktop
    work on it? I thought it was just on XP PRO (which is the system on my
    main computer).

    --
    R. Dale Shipp
    dale@_delete_this_min.net

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    > In article <0daa01c48ba9$237376c0$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
    > anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    >> Once running though you can use VNC or ?? to connect
    >> remotely.
    >>

    > What is VNC?
    >
    >> I have a machine that runs my house and thats what I do,
    >> although I use Remote Desktop.
    >
    > The computer I want to set up is using XP Home. Will Remote Desktop
    > work on it? I thought it was just on XP PRO (which is the system on my
    > main computer).
    >

    > --
    > R. Dale Shipp
    > dale@_delete_this_min.net