Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wireless after SP2

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 19, 2004 2:31:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I recently upgraded my daughter's HP laptop to SP2 (Home). I was then
attempting to set up a wireless network using a 802.11b router and a USB
wireless adapter (different vendors). I had an icon in the task bar that said
something to the effect that Windows could not configure this connection. I
called the vendor of the USB adapter who was trying to get me to insure that
"Windows Zero Configuration" service was running. But when I checked the
listing of Services, there was nothing shown for WZC. Does SP2 do something
odd to WZC or did I have a bad install? Thanks!

More about : wireless sp2

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 20, 2004 3:01:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

If indeed the service is not running, it would not appear in this list. I
am not sure how this might have happened, but you can configure the service
to start automatically, which it normally does. Using Computer Management,
you can configure the WZC service to start automatically.
Using the Start Menu: Start -> Run -> compmgmt.msc

Please open "Services and Applications" and click on the Service icon in the
left-hand panel. The right-hand panel holds the list of all the services in
the machine.
Find Wireless Zero config in that list and double-click it. Configure the
Start-up type to be "Automatic" and use the button to start the service.

Now plug in your networking device, and wait for it to be recognized, etc.
Now, open the device's properities through the the control panel. Start ->
Control Panel. From the Control Panel, open "Network connections" and
right-click the icon of this new device. Select "Properties" from the menu
list. Now, looking at the connection properties window, go to the "Wireless
Networks" tab and make sure that the "Use Windows to configure my wireless
network settings" is selected.

From here on out things should work fine. Let me know if you continue to
have problems.
Brian

--
Brian Wehrle
bwehrle@online.microsoft.com
Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
Microsoft Corp.



"cpmillerva" <cpmillerva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A43C6052-0B81-4A73-9C74-854FDFA7ADC4@microsoft.com...
>I recently upgraded my daughter's HP laptop to SP2 (Home). I was then
> attempting to set up a wireless network using a 802.11b router and a USB
> wireless adapter (different vendors). I had an icon in the task bar that
> said
> something to the effect that Windows could not configure this connection.
> I
> called the vendor of the USB adapter who was trying to get me to insure
> that
> "Windows Zero Configuration" service was running. But when I checked the
> listing of Services, there was nothing shown for WZC. Does SP2 do
> something
> odd to WZC or did I have a bad install? Thanks!
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 20, 2004 8:43:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Brian

I have a Samsung Q10 laptop with built-in wireless support (Orinoco) and
recently upgraded it to SP2. I have tried starting Wireless Zero
Configuration tool and this fails. I get the error can not start dependant
service or service missing, which is the RPC service (which is running). I
have also noticed that from the Cmoponent services that the error relating to
WZO says ' none existant service, Ndisuio' for sercie control manager.

How can I resolve this issue

"Brian Wehrle [MSFT]" wrote:

> If indeed the service is not running, it would not appear in this list. I
> am not sure how this might have happened, but you can configure the service
> to start automatically, which it normally does. Using Computer Management,
> you can configure the WZC service to start automatically.
> Using the Start Menu: Start -> Run -> compmgmt.msc
>
> Please open "Services and Applications" and click on the Service icon in the
> left-hand panel. The right-hand panel holds the list of all the services in
> the machine.
> Find Wireless Zero config in that list and double-click it. Configure the
> Start-up type to be "Automatic" and use the button to start the service.
>
> Now plug in your networking device, and wait for it to be recognized, etc.
> Now, open the device's properities through the the control panel. Start ->
> Control Panel. From the Control Panel, open "Network connections" and
> right-click the icon of this new device. Select "Properties" from the menu
> list. Now, looking at the connection properties window, go to the "Wireless
> Networks" tab and make sure that the "Use Windows to configure my wireless
> network settings" is selected.
>
> From here on out things should work fine. Let me know if you continue to
> have problems.
> Brian
>
> --
> Brian Wehrle
> bwehrle@online.microsoft.com
> Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
> Microsoft Corp.
>
>
>
> "cpmillerva" <cpmillerva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A43C6052-0B81-4A73-9C74-854FDFA7ADC4@microsoft.com...
> >I recently upgraded my daughter's HP laptop to SP2 (Home). I was then
> > attempting to set up a wireless network using a 802.11b router and a USB
> > wireless adapter (different vendors). I had an icon in the task bar that
> > said
> > something to the effect that Windows could not configure this connection.
> > I
> > called the vendor of the USB adapter who was trying to get me to insure
> > that
> > "Windows Zero Configuration" service was running. But when I checked the
> > listing of Services, there was nothing shown for WZC. Does SP2 do
> > something
> > odd to WZC or did I have a bad install? Thanks!
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 21, 2004 8:53:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Researching this on the Web I found an article that explains how to install
WZC if it is missing. Haven't had a chance to try it, but hopefully with this
and/or what Brian has to offer I can get it back. See
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20040311.shtml

"Error starting Wireless Zero Configurato" wrote:

> Brian
>
> I have a Samsung Q10 laptop with built-in wireless support (Orinoco) and
> recently upgraded it to SP2. I have tried starting Wireless Zero
> Configuration tool and this fails. I get the error can not start dependant
> service or service missing, which is the RPC service (which is running). I
> have also noticed that from the Cmoponent services that the error relating to
> WZO says ' none existant service, Ndisuio' for sercie control manager.
>
> How can I resolve this issue
>
> "Brian Wehrle [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > If indeed the service is not running, it would not appear in this list. I
> > am not sure how this might have happened, but you can configure the service
> > to start automatically, which it normally does. Using Computer Management,
> > you can configure the WZC service to start automatically.
> > Using the Start Menu: Start -> Run -> compmgmt.msc
> >
> > Please open "Services and Applications" and click on the Service icon in the
> > left-hand panel. The right-hand panel holds the list of all the services in
> > the machine.
> > Find Wireless Zero config in that list and double-click it. Configure the
> > Start-up type to be "Automatic" and use the button to start the service.
> >
> > Now plug in your networking device, and wait for it to be recognized, etc.
> > Now, open the device's properities through the the control panel. Start ->
> > Control Panel. From the Control Panel, open "Network connections" and
> > right-click the icon of this new device. Select "Properties" from the menu
> > list. Now, looking at the connection properties window, go to the "Wireless
> > Networks" tab and make sure that the "Use Windows to configure my wireless
> > network settings" is selected.
> >
> > From here on out things should work fine. Let me know if you continue to
> > have problems.
> > Brian
> >
> > --
> > Brian Wehrle
> > bwehrle@online.microsoft.com
> > Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
> > Microsoft Corp.
> >
> >
> >
> > "cpmillerva" <cpmillerva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:A43C6052-0B81-4A73-9C74-854FDFA7ADC4@microsoft.com...
> > >I recently upgraded my daughter's HP laptop to SP2 (Home). I was then
> > > attempting to set up a wireless network using a 802.11b router and a USB
> > > wireless adapter (different vendors). I had an icon in the task bar that
> > > said
> > > something to the effect that Windows could not configure this connection.
> > > I
> > > called the vendor of the USB adapter who was trying to get me to insure
> > > that
> > > "Windows Zero Configuration" service was running. But when I checked the
> > > listing of Services, there was nothing shown for WZC. Does SP2 do
> > > something
> > > odd to WZC or did I have a bad install? Thanks!
> >
> >
> >
!