Remote Desktop opens wrong port in firewall

August 27, 2004 7:50:35 AM

I just installed SP2 on XP Pro. On reboot, as expected Windows Firewall
showed an port exception for Remote Desktop. However, it was for port 3389,
and I have Remote Desktop set to listen on a different port. Whoever is
opening the firewall should be looking at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal
Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber. Has this been reported previously?

(I entered an exeception for the correct port as a workaround but this
should be fixed anyway).

Thanks
Brian Knittel
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 3:11:52 PM

How is the firewall supposed to know you changed the RD port? All it knows
are the defaults.

Brian Knittel wrote:
> I just installed SP2 on XP Pro. On reboot, as expected Windows
> Firewall showed an port exception for Remote Desktop. However, it was
> for port 3389, and I have Remote Desktop set to listen on a different
> port. Whoever is opening the firewall should be looking at
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal
> Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber. Has this been reported
> previously?
> (I entered an exeception for the correct port as a workaround but this
> should be fixed anyway).
>
> Thanks
> Brian Knittel
August 27, 2004 3:11:53 PM

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in

> How is the firewall supposed to know you changed the RD port? All it
> knows are the defaults.

Not my post, but is there some technical issue preventing WF from reading
the port from the TS registry value specifying said port?

- Tom
August 27, 2004 3:28:53 PM

> How is the firewall supposed to know you changed the RD port? All it knows
> are the defaults.

I believe that the Terminal Server service itself is opening the port in the
firewall.
It should be opening the port it's using.

But even if the port is being opened by the SP2 installer, if it's aware
that the Terminal Server
exists, it should check to see which port it's using.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 5:19:59 PM

Tom wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>
>> How is the firewall supposed to know you changed the RD port? All it
>> knows are the defaults.
>
> Not my post, but is there some technical issue preventing WF from
> reading the port from the TS registry value specifying said port?

Perhaps - I'm not a WinXP developer. I doubt it goes through and reads
much - just provides you with the options for the defaults?

!