Just trying to setup remote desktop or remote web connect...

I am in the dark about networking issues like this one. On the Microsoft site
it sounds easy to setup either method yet I cannot get either to work. For
one I cannot figure out which ip address I need to use, one for my router or
one for my computer I want to access. I have no idea where to find the name
or address of my VPN server, which is required to setup a VPN connection. I
have no idea what I need to do to allow access to the correct port 3398.
For the remote desktop web connection, I need to know the Windows
networking name of my server, again I have no idea where to find this info. I
tried typing ipconfig/all from command prompt and there are several ip
addresses, wins and dns information but I cannot seem to find the exact
information I need to setup euther connection. Is there any othe instructions
and tips for helpig with the setup of these connections?

Lets step back a bit and have you explain how...

1. The XP Pro PC your trying to connect to with Remote Desktop is connected to the internet, ie.
dialup, a broadband DSL or cable connection, etc.
2. Is the XP Pro PC behind a firewall/NAT/router?
3. Has Remote Desktop been enabled on the XP Pro PC your trying to connect to?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/enableremote.mspx

4. Are you calling the correct public IP of the PC or the firewall/NAT/router?

Go to either of the these two sites to get the public IP of your router from your desktop...

http://www.whatismyip.com/
http://checkip.dyndns.org/

If your ISP assigns a dynamic IP to your router, then another solution is to setup an account with
one of the dynamic naming services that map a fully qualified domain name to the IP. In my case I
use a FREE service from No-IP.com. The No-IP.com software runs on my XP Pro box and on a time
schedule basis contacts the No-IP.com servers. The No-IP.com servers then know what your IP is and
maps that to a fully qualified domain name. That information is then propagated over the public
internet. You could then call the client PC using the fully qualified domain name. It works very
well for me when I call my home network using Remote Desktop.

http://www.no-ip.com

5. Depending on the router, if the XP Pro PC your trying to connect to with Remote Desktop is behind
one, then you need to forward TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN IP of the PC...

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"CDCInvest" <CDCInvest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am in the dark about networking issues like this one. On the Microsoft site
> it sounds easy to setup either method yet I cannot get either to work. For
> one I cannot figure out which ip address I need to use, one for my router or
> one for my computer I want to access. I have no idea where to find the name
> or address of my VPN server, which is required to setup a VPN connection. I
> have no idea what I need to do to allow access to the correct port 3398.
> For the remote desktop web connection, I need to know the Windows
> networking name of my server, again I have no idea where to find this info. I
> tried typing ipconfig/all from command prompt and there are several ip
> addresses, wins and dns information but I cannot seem to find the exact
> information I need to setup euther connection. Is there any othe instructions
> and tips for helpig with the setup of these connections?

I have a braodband connection that I connect to using a wireless router. I
have personal firewalls on both machines, that I disabled while trying to get
this to work. I followed all directions given to setup remote desktop but had
problems when it came time to enter IP address, I found a Lan IP, WAN IP , a
public IP using the site You provided and a router IP and I have no idea
which one to use. I called my ISP and they said they use dynamic IP. I guess
I'm a little confused about how easy microsoft makes it sound to install, yet
finding IP's and rerouting ports is never mentioned.

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Lets step back a bit and have you explain how...
>
> 1. The XP Pro PC your trying to connect to with Remote Desktop is connected to the internet, ie.
> dialup, a broadband DSL or cable connection, etc.
> 2. Is the XP Pro PC behind a firewall/NAT/router?
> 3. Has Remote Desktop been enabled on the XP Pro PC your trying to connect to?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/enableremote.mspx
>
> 4. Are you calling the correct public IP of the PC or the firewall/NAT/router?
>
> Go to either of the these two sites to get the public IP of your router from your desktop...
>
> http://www.whatismyip.com/
> http://checkip.dyndns.org/
>
> If your ISP assigns a dynamic IP to your router, then another solution is to setup an account with
> one of the dynamic naming services that map a fully qualified domain name to the IP. In my case I
> use a FREE service from No-IP.com. The No-IP.com software runs on my XP Pro box and on a time
> schedule basis contacts the No-IP.com servers. The No-IP.com servers then know what your IP is and
> maps that to a fully qualified domain name. That information is then propagated over the public
> internet. You could then call the client PC using the fully qualified domain name. It works very
> well for me when I call my home network using Remote Desktop.
>
> http://www.no-ip.com
>
> 5. Depending on the router, if the XP Pro PC your trying to connect to with Remote Desktop is behind
> one, then you need to forward TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN IP of the PC...
>
> http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "CDCInvest" <CDCInvest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am in the dark about networking issues like this one. On the Microsoft site
> > it sounds easy to setup either method yet I cannot get either to work. For
> > one I cannot figure out which ip address I need to use, one for my router or
> > one for my computer I want to access. I have no idea where to find the name
> > or address of my VPN server, which is required to setup a VPN connection. I
> > have no idea what I need to do to allow access to the correct port 3398.
> > For the remote desktop web connection, I need to know the Windows
> > networking name of my server, again I have no idea where to find this info. I
> > tried typing ipconfig/all from command prompt and there are several ip
> > addresses, wins and dns information but I cannot seem to find the exact
> > information I need to setup euther connection. Is there any othe instructions
> > and tips for helpig with the setup of these connections?

See step 4

--

> [...]
>> > it sounds easy to setup either method yet I cannot get either to work. For
>> > one I cannot figure out which ip address I need to use, one for my router or
>> > one for my computer I want to access. I have no idea where to find the name
>> > or address of my VPN server, which is required to setup a VPN connection. I
>> > have no idea what I need to do to allow access to the correct port 3398.
>> > For the remote desktop web connection, I need to know the Windows
>> > networking name of my server, again I have no idea where to find this info. I
>> > tried typing ipconfig/all from command prompt and there are several ip
>> > addresses, wins and dns information but I cannot seem to find the exact
>> > information I need to setup euther connection. Is there any othe instructions
>> > and tips for helpig with the setup of these connections?

I am also having issues connecting remote desktop. Client and host are xp pro
with remote enabled. I was in remote assistant mode and ran pcpitstop and got
IP address which is more than likely dynamic as is the client IP. But should
this really matter as long as both PC's remain on-line?

host is using dsl from qwest (south dakota)
client is using cable modem (california)

Does the host have to be locked in order to establish a connection?

Dynamic doesn't matter as long as you know the host's public IP at the time
of the connection attempt. Client IP doesn't matter as long as there is a
route between the two.

Remote Desktop does "lock" the host machine--i.e. screen and keyboard are
disconnected from the current session. It doesn't require that the PC be in
any particular state (except connected to the network--in your case the
Internet.)

If you've had remote assistance working between these machines, what has
been the problem with Remote Desktop?

"BALZ" <BALZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am also having issues connecting remote desktop. Client and host are xp
>pro
> with remote enabled. I was in remote assistant mode and ran pcpitstop and
> got
> IP address which is more than likely dynamic as is the client IP. But
> should
> this really matter as long as both PC's remain on-line?
>
> host is using dsl from qwest (south dakota)
> client is using cable modem (california)
>
> Does the host have to be locked in order to establish a connection?

I am not sure why it won't connect but I get a windows error statement:

can't connect , remote desktop might not be enabled, computer is too busy to
accept or possible network problems won't allow connection.

I turned on remote desktop during remote assistance
I tried connection while the host was logged onto my user account (admin
group) and while the host was locked.
I don't know what network problems could exsist. I turned off my Norton and
firewall on client and host doesn't have SP2. I couldn't find firewall option
on host's SP1. Internet security software was turned off on the host???

Any ideas to help me get this thing going?

I found a site that wassomewhat helpful that may help others
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprmdtp.htm

Which reminds me... Do I need to put somethingfora Domain on connection page?

As for your last question - no, you don't need to specify a domain if
you aren't on one.

You won't be able to do Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance at the
same time.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:39:10 -0700, "BALZ"
<BALZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am not sure why it won't connect but I get a windows error statement:
>
>can't connect , remote desktop might not be enabled, computer is too busy to
>accept or possible network problems won't allow connection.
>
>I turned on remote desktop during remote assistance
>I tried connection while the host was logged onto my user account (admin
>group) and while the host was locked.
>I don't know what network problems could exsist. I turned off my Norton and
>firewall on client and host doesn't have SP2. I couldn't find firewall option
>on host's SP1. Internet security software was turned off on the host???
>
>Any ideas to help me get this thing going?
>
>I found a site that wassomewhat helpful that may help others
>http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprmdtp.htm
>
>Which reminds me... Do I need to put somethingfora Domain on connection page?

That's pretty strange. Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop both use the
same port.

3389, TCP.

So--if you were in for Remote Assistance, Remote Desktop should also work.
I don't know, however, whether a reboot might be needed after enabling the
feature.

You shouldn't need anything in domain, I believe, although in some usages,
domain can be the workstation name.

The error is pretty broad--no connectivity. Theres a telnet to port 3389
test that you can do for connectivity:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=187628

If you can ping the host machine, that'd be a good thing too.

If you re-check the host machine, is Remote Desktop clearly enabled?

>I am not sure why it won't connect but I get a windows error statement:
>
> can't connect , remote desktop might not be enabled, computer is too busy
> accept or possible network problems won't allow connection.
>
> I turned on remote desktop during remote assistance
> I tried connection while the host was logged onto my user account (admin
> group) and while the host was locked.
> I don't know what network problems could exsist. I turned off my Norton
> and
> firewall on client and host doesn't have SP2. I couldn't find firewall
> option
> on host's SP1. Internet security software was turned off on the host???
>
> Any ideas to help me get this thing going?
>
> I found a site that wassomewhat helpful that may help others
> http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprmdtp.htm
>
> Which reminds me... Do I need to put somethingfora Domain on connection
> page?

where did CDCIVEST GO? seems like he has the same issue?