XP home remote desktop

I have a desktop running XP-Pro. Can I connect remote desktop with my XP-Home
notebook? If so, can somepone point me to a URL with instructions. thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about home remote desktop

    Not with Remote Desktop. An alternative, one that I use to access/control my wife's XP Home machine,
    is UltraVNC. Get the server, client and encryption plug-in from...

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    I recommend installing and using the encryption plug-in if your intent is to use UltraVNC over the
    public internet...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "ritchie" <ritchie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a desktop running XP-Pro. Can I connect remote desktop with my XP-Home
    > notebook? If so, can somepone point me to a URL with instructions. thanks

    Yes you can.
    I have an XP pro desktop, and a win98 laptop.

    Setup the desktop:
    Go to control panel - system
    You'll see a "remote" tab - click on that one
    Tick the checkbox "Allow users to connect remotely to
    this computer"
    *** note, in this screen, you'll see the system name of
    this PC. Remember that name ! ***

    You'll be prompted to assign a user account.

    If the useraccount doesn't have a login password, you'll
    be prompted to set this password.

    Then, on the xp-home pc, go to start-all programs -
    accessories - communications
    Select remote desktop connection.
    Enter the systemname of the XP-Pro machine (remember?)
    and hit enter.

    This should get you in.

    Bye,
    Leo

    Leo - certainly his XP Home machine can use Remote Desktop to connect to his
    XP Pro machine.

    However, he wants to do the reverse, as I understand it. Since an XP Home
    machine cannot be the host of a Remote Desktop connection, this isn't
    possible.

    "Leo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Yes you can.
    > I have an XP pro desktop, and a win98 laptop.
    >
    > Setup the desktop:
    > Go to control panel - system
    > You'll see a "remote" tab - click on that one
    > Tick the checkbox "Allow users to connect remotely to
    > this computer"
    > *** note, in this screen, you'll see the system name of
    > this PC. Remember that name ! ***
    >
    > You'll be prompted to assign a user account.
    >
    > If the useraccount doesn't have a login password, you'll
    > be prompted to set this password.
    >
    > Then, on the xp-home pc, go to start-all programs -
    > accessories - communications
    > Select remote desktop connection.
    > Enter the systemname of the XP-Pro machine (remember?)
    > and hit enter.
    >
    > This should get you in.
    >
    > Bye,
    > Leo