XP home remote desktop

August 28, 2004 9:15:02 AM

I have a desktop running XP-Pro. Can I connect remote desktop with my XP-Home
notebook? If so, can somepone point me to a URL with instructions. thanks

More about : home remote desktop

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 12:15:17 PM

Not with Remote Desktop. An alternative, one that I use to access/control my wife's XP Home machine,
is UltraVNC. Get the server, client and encryption plug-in from...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

I recommend installing and using the encryption plug-in if your intent is to use UltraVNC over the
public internet...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"ritchie" <ritchie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a desktop running XP-Pro. Can I connect remote desktop with my XP-Home
> notebook? If so, can somepone point me to a URL with instructions. thanks
August 31, 2004 6:35:10 PM

Yes you can.
I have an XP pro desktop, and a win98 laptop.

Setup the desktop:
Go to control panel - system
You'll see a "remote" tab - click on that one
Tick the checkbox "Allow users to connect remotely to
this computer"
*** note, in this screen, you'll see the system name of
this PC. Remember that name ! ***

You'll be prompted to assign a user account.

If the useraccount doesn't have a login password, you'll
be prompted to set this password.

Then, on the xp-home pc, go to start-all programs -
accessories - communications
Select remote desktop connection.
Enter the systemname of the XP-Pro machine (remember?)
and hit enter.

This should get you in.

Bye,
Leo

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 6:01:05 AM

Leo - certainly his XP Home machine can use Remote Desktop to connect to his
XP Pro machine.

However, he wants to do the reverse, as I understand it. Since an XP Home
machine cannot be the host of a Remote Desktop connection, this isn't
possible.

!