Can.t keep VPN from auto connecting

August 28, 2004 10:40:01 PM

VPN keeps connecting even though I do not want it to. No
option to stop it in the properties. Only want the VPN
when I click on the connection. Running XP home SP2.

what are your thoughts

More about : vpn auto connecting

August 30, 2004 7:19:05 PM

Hi Bill,
One built-in service that may be causing this, is the ntp-client, that goes
out onto the internet to find a time server (so it can sync your PC's clock)
To change its behaviour, go into start - help & support and enter "time
server" in the search field.
One of the items listed is "change the clock synchronization server"
Click on that, and follow the instructions on how to change this behaviour.

Another possibility is that the automatic updater regularly checks the
Windows Update site for new updates.
The old win98 update client went out on the internet every 5 minutes; I
don't know what the check interval of the XP client is. You prolly can't
change the check interval, but if you go into control panel - system, you can
turn off automatic updates. Not that I would recommend that, though.

bye,
Leo

Bye,
Leo

"Bill" wrote:

> VPN keeps connecting even though I do not want it to. No
> option to stop it in the properties. Only want the VPN
> when I click on the connection. Running XP home SP2.
>
> what are your thoughts

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 8:43:27 PM

Can you specifically tell when this scenario occurs? If what you are talking
about is redialling, you can check out the 'Options' tab of the VPN
Connection Properties. Ensure that 'Redial if line dropped' is unchecked and
also the redial attempts are set to 0.

--
Thanks,
Janani.

"Bill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> VPN keeps connecting even though I do not want it to. No
> option to stop it in the properties. Only want the VPN
> when I click on the connection. Running XP home SP2.
>
> what are your thoughts
May 11, 2012 1:56:56 AM

i tried all of this but nothing works. What I did - i deleted the VPN. Then the box pop up asking that dropbox.com needed to connect and asking me to choose which one to use since i deleted the original vpn connection. I check the box that says don't show it next time. and click cancel to close the box. Then I re created my VPN and connected again. after 1 min i disconnected and it never re dial again. Thanks
!