Audio noise when using Sony HC-40 Camera for AV/DV convers..

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.authoring (More info?)

I previously had a Canopus ADVC 100 that I used to convert some of my old
home movies to digital format and then to the computer via firewire. This
worked like a charm. I then decided to get a Sony HC-40 MiniDV video camera,
which has the "pass through" function built in for doing the analog
conversions so I sold my Canopus unit. Now when I use the camera, for the
conversion, I'm having audio problems (that I never had with the Canopus).
The video capture is great and I get the audio as well, but there is a very
distinct and constant "popping" noise. I'm using Pinnacle Studio 9 for the
capture. I even tried Windows Movie Maker and I get the same noise. I even
tried another VCR and I get the same noise. Here's what puzzles me: when I
capture a clip from a commercial video tape movie I get perfect audio with
no noise. I only get the noise with my old VHS tapes that were made years
ago with my old RCA camera. Some tapes are as old as 22 years old but no
matter which home movie tape I use I get the noise. The VCR I'm running
through is a JVC Super VHS model HR-S8009UM, which I bought off of eBay for
this purpose (I wanted a unit that has S-Video out). Any help would be
appreciated.

AnthonyR

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.authoring (More info?)

I had the same audio glitch from old home vhs tapes going thru an older sony
tvr-9 camcorder years ago, it drove me nuts! I thought the camera was
damaged because even recorded to it from the input resulted in tapes with
these audio pops.
Then I discovered the old vhs tapes need to be run through a good TBC first
to stabilize them, after that all was ok. I currently have a Canopus
ADV-300, works like a charm, but still have the TBC1000 I had bought just in
case, as a backup for really old tapes.
Hope this helps,
AnthonyR.

"AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message
>I had the same audio glitch from old home vhs tapes going thru an older
>sony tvr-9 camcorder years ago, it drove me nuts! I thought the camera was
>damaged because even recorded to it from the input resulted in tapes with
>these audio pops.
> Then I discovered the old vhs tapes need to be run through a good TBC
> first to stabilize them, after that all was ok. I currently have a Canopus
> ADV-300, works like a charm, but still have the TBC1000 I had bought just
> in case, as a backup for really old tapes.
> Hope this helps,
> AnthonyR.

Thanks for the info Anthony. Let me know if you ever want to sell the
TBC1000 :)

I bit the bullet and re-ordered a new Canopus ADVC 100. I guess I also
missed the convenience of having it hooked up and ready to go whenever I
needed it. It is somewhat of a hassle getting the camera out and hooking all
the cables up when you need it. Tell me .. is there is huge difference in
the quality of results between the ADVC 100 and the ADVC 300?