should I stick with Studio or switch to Premiere?

I've been using (and I suppose, supporting) Pinnacle for several
years. Had V.6 on my previous PC. It wouldn't work with XP on my new
PC (1 year ago) so I upgraded to V.8. THis didn't work for me at that
time & the Pinnacle 'knowledge base' had a solution that fit my
circumstances: Install v.7. I didn't like having to roll back but was
on a deadline. This brings me to the present. I recently emailed a
question to CS and was informed the promised free-forever email
support was discontinued for the discontinued v.7. Of course they are
again promising free email tech support for the latest version...free
until the version is superceeded I'll assume.

Before I shell out my $$ for this product with their bugs and
abhorrent tech support I want to consider switching to another editor.
Premiere seems to be the most popular for casual users like myself.
So I'm considering paying a little more for a new program (vs.
updating) and abandoning my familiarity with the Studio interface.
Should I??
17 answers Last reply
More about should stick studio switch premiere

    Mark, the Studio 9 with the latest upgrade works fine in my friends XP
    system. I am using Premiere 6.5 and prefer it, since it gives me so much
    more flexibility. Yes there is a lot to learn, but I upgraded also from a
    Pinnacle System product and found that knowing the principle of PC-Editing
    was a big help.
    So, if you have the money, and you want to exercise your brain, get Premiere
    (V6.5, or PRO 1.5) .
    Fred

    Mark wrote:

    > I've been using (and I suppose, supporting) Pinnacle for several
    > years. Had V.6 on my previous PC. It wouldn't work with XP on my new
    > PC (1 year ago) so I upgraded to V.8. THis didn't work for me at that
    > time & the Pinnacle 'knowledge base' had a solution that fit my
    > circumstances: Install v.7. I didn't like having to roll back but was
    > on a deadline. This brings me to the present. I recently emailed a
    > question to CS and was informed the promised free-forever email
    > support was discontinued for the discontinued v.7. Of course they are
    > again promising free email tech support for the latest version...free
    > until the version is superceeded I'll assume.

    HAHAH.. This is kinda like when I have sales people tell me the words
    "lifetime warrantee".. I always ask, "Who's lifetime?, The product? Your
    companies lifetime?". They always chuckle, but when they see that I'm
    not laughing, its quickly followed by a awkward moment of silence.

    Hell even Sears looks like it's going to be gobbled up by KMart.. So
    what happens to all those Craftsmen tools with that lifetime warranty?

    > Before I shell out my $$ for this product with their bugs and
    > abhorrent tech support I want to consider switching to another editor.
    > Premiere seems to be the most popular for casual users like myself.
    > So I'm considering paying a little more for a new program (vs.
    > updating) and abandoning my familiarity with the Studio interface.
    > Should I??

    On the PC I'm partial to Premiere myself. Take the plunge and go
    Premiere Pro. Or, have you tried Premiere Elements ($99)?

    -Richard

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:17:19 GMT, Richard Ragon <bsema04@hananho.com>
    wrote:

    >HAHAH.. This is kinda like when I have sales people tell me the words
    >"lifetime warrantee".. I always ask, "Who's lifetime?, The product? Your
    >companies lifetime?". They always chuckle, but when they see that I'm
    >not laughing, its quickly followed by a awkward moment of silence.
    >
    >Hell even Sears looks like it's going to be gobbled up by KMart.. So
    >what happens to all those Craftsmen tools with that lifetime warranty?

    You got that backwards... KMart is being gobbled up by Sears... KMart
    is in no position to take over Sears.... the Craftsman warranty is
    still safe..
    Glenn
    A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 02:03:17 -0500, Mark <nobody@home.now> wrote:

    >I've been using (and I suppose, supporting) Pinnacle for several
    >years. Had V.6 on my previous PC. It wouldn't work with XP on my new
    >PC (1 year ago) so I upgraded to V.8. THis didn't work for me at that
    >time & the Pinnacle 'knowledge base' had a solution that fit my
    >circumstances: Install v.7. I didn't like having to roll back but was
    >on a deadline. This brings me to the present. I recently emailed a
    >question to CS and was informed the promised free-forever email
    >support was discontinued for the discontinued v.7. Of course they are
    >again promising free email tech support for the latest version...free
    >until the version is superceeded I'll assume.
    >
    >Before I shell out my $$ for this product with their bugs and
    >abhorrent tech support I want to consider switching to another editor.
    >Premiere seems to be the most popular for casual users like myself.
    >So I'm considering paying a little more for a new program (vs.
    >updating) and abandoning my familiarity with the Studio interface.
    >Should I??

    You can not compare old outdate software compared to the lastest
    version 9 plus. If you are worried about the price of Pinnacle (look
    for it on sale on one of chain stores). If you think you want to
    switch to Premiere and think it for the casual user and that it will
    not cost you and arm and a leg then you really are not informed.
    Also, for every disgruntled report you hear on Pinnacle there are
    literally hundreds of satisfied customer. Then again some only hear
    what they conceive. For the casual user Pinnacle even has a "Quick
    Movie Maker" which will do it nearly automatically. I have used
    Pinnacle productively since version 7 and understand the extensive
    time and frustration keeping it working. However version 9 does not
    have any real problems if you have sufficient hardware.

    <Glenn M> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:17:19 GMT, Richard Ragon <bsema04@hananho.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>HAHAH.. This is kinda like when I have sales people tell me the words
    >>"lifetime warrantee".. I always ask, "Who's lifetime?, The product? Your
    >>companies lifetime?". They always chuckle, but when they see that I'm
    >>not laughing, its quickly followed by a awkward moment of silence.
    >>
    >>Hell even Sears looks like it's going to be gobbled up by KMart.. So
    >>what happens to all those Craftsmen tools with that lifetime warranty?
    >>

    > You got that backwards... KMart is being gobbled up by Sears... KMart
    > is in no position to take over Sears.... the Craftsman warranty is
    > still safe..
    > Glenn
    > A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

    While Ragoon does get most things completely bass ackwards. KMart bought
    Sears last week. Together they have more stores than Walmart.
    Kmart would have to honor any contracts with customers that Sears had. Which
    includes Lifetime Warranty on their tools.

    Yes. Get Premiere. Studio is a toy compared to Premiere.

    "Mark" <nobody@home.now> wrote in message
    > I've been using (and I suppose, supporting) Pinnacle for several
    > years. Had V.6 on my previous PC. It wouldn't work with XP on my new
    > PC (1 year ago) so I upgraded to V.8. THis didn't work for me at that
    > time & the Pinnacle 'knowledge base' had a solution that fit my
    > circumstances: Install v.7. I didn't like having to roll back but was
    > on a deadline. This brings me to the present. I recently emailed a
    > question to CS and was informed the promised free-forever email
    > support was discontinued for the discontinued v.7. Of course they are
    > again promising free email tech support for the latest version...free
    > until the version is superceeded I'll assume.
    >
    > Before I shell out my $$ for this product with their bugs and
    > abhorrent tech support I want to consider switching to another editor.
    > Premiere seems to be the most popular for casual users like myself.
    > So I'm considering paying a little more for a new program (vs.
    > updating) and abandoning my familiarity with the Studio interface.
    > Should I??

    Seems I may be overreaching if I go with Premiere. I will look into
    Sony Vegas. Isn't that part of the product line that includes Sound
    Forge? I use it and like it. I like the idea of supporting a product
    that works as described and is well supported.

    To be clear: My issue with Studio isn't that it doesn't work for me.
    The problem is that Pinnacle no longer supports it despite their
    promise of free email tech support. When I installed V.8 and it
    didn't function on XP their CS couldn't offer any advice beyond wiping
    my HD & reinstalling clean. I tried to make it clear to them that it
    WAS being installed on a new system. My answer was found in their
    user knowledge base. I don't feel that's worth supporting any longer,
    despite being the cheaper way to proceed.

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 02:03:17 -0500, Mark <nobody@home.now> wrote:

    >I've been using (and I suppose, supporting) Pinnacle for several
    >years. Had V.6 on my previous PC. It wouldn't work with XP on my new
    >PC (1 year ago) so I upgraded to V.8. THis didn't work for me at that
    >time & the Pinnacle 'knowledge base' had a solution that fit my
    >circumstances: Install v.7. I didn't like having to roll back but was
    >on a deadline. This brings me to the present. I recently emailed a
    >question to CS and was informed the promised free-forever email
    >support was discontinued for the discontinued v.7. Of course they are
    >again promising free email tech support for the latest version...free
    >until the version is superceeded I'll assume.
    >
    >Before I shell out my $$ for this product with their bugs and
    >abhorrent tech support I want to consider switching to another editor.
    >Premiere seems to be the most popular for casual users like myself.
    >So I'm considering paying a little more for a new program (vs.
    >updating) and abandoning my familiarity with the Studio interface.
    >Should I??

    Premiere has bugs and abhorrent tech support, too, so don't let that be the
    determining factor.

    Premiere provides far, far more control over your editing than consumer
    products like Studio. The question, though, is whether you really need it.
    If you want to compositing, extensive image correction, keying, etc., then
    Premiere is a good choice. Note that it requires a fairly powerful computer
    to be used comfortably.

    "Mark" <nobody@home.now> wrote in message
    > I've been using (and I suppose, supporting) Pinnacle for several
    > years. Had V.6 on my previous PC. It wouldn't work with XP on my new
    > PC (1 year ago) so I upgraded to V.8. THis didn't work for me at that
    > time & the Pinnacle 'knowledge base' had a solution that fit my
    > circumstances: Install v.7. I didn't like having to roll back but was
    > on a deadline. This brings me to the present. I recently emailed a
    > question to CS and was informed the promised free-forever email
    > support was discontinued for the discontinued v.7. Of course they are
    > again promising free email tech support for the latest version...free
    > until the version is superceeded I'll assume.
    >
    > Before I shell out my $$ for this product with their bugs and
    > abhorrent tech support I want to consider switching to another editor.
    > Premiere seems to be the most popular for casual users like myself.
    > So I'm considering paying a little more for a new program (vs.
    > updating) and abandoning my familiarity with the Studio interface.
    > Should I??

    Don't forget to take a look at Sony's Vegas as well. Tech support is good,
    user forums are fantastic and the bugs are few and far between.

    Mike
    (a happy Vegas user since V 1)

    Glenn M wrote:

    > On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:17:19 GMT, Richard Ragon <bsema04@hananho.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>HAHAH.. This is kinda like when I have sales people tell me the words
    >>"lifetime warrantee".. I always ask, "Who's lifetime?, The product? Your
    >>companies lifetime?". They always chuckle, but when they see that I'm
    >>not laughing, its quickly followed by a awkward moment of silence.
    >>
    >>Hell even Sears looks like it's going to be gobbled up by KMart.. So
    >>what happens to all those Craftsmen tools with that lifetime warranty?
    >>

    > You got that backwards... KMart is being gobbled up by Sears... KMart
    > is in no position to take over Sears.... the Craftsman warranty is
    > still safe..
    > Glenn

    Glenn,

    I didn't get it backwards.. KMart IS buying Sears. See this article on
    CNN Money.

    http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/17/news/fortune500/sears_kmart/

    -Richard

    I'll second what Mike said about Vegas.

    Craig (a happy Vegas user since V2) H.

    Mark wrote:
    > Seems I may be overreaching if I go with Premiere. I will look into
    > Sony Vegas. Isn't that part of the product line that includes Sound
    > Forge? I use it and like it. I like the idea of supporting a product
    > that works as described and is well supported.

    You're correct about Vegas & Sound Forge being part of the same line. As
    you know, Sony bought out Sonic Foundry a year or so ago and has carried on
    in the tradition of solid programs.
    The advantage to already having Sound Forge is that it seamlessly integrates
    with Vegas to give you even more audio capabilities.

    Mike

    "Paul Harrison" <mail@paulharrison.f9.co.uk> writes:

    > You could have a look at Canopus' Edius as well! Does all that you would
    > need plus easier to use than Premiere.

    I'd recommend waiting until Jan 05 though since a new version:
    Edius 3 pro is coming out then. It has a number of good new
    features compared to the current Edius-2.51.

    I suspect you will feel very awkward with it for a while though. It
    felt `foreign' to me for about a month. Now I like it very much.

    You could have a look at Canopus' Edius as well! Does all that you would
    need plus easier to use than Premiere.

    > You got that backwards... KMart is being gobbled up by Sears... KMart
    > is in no position to take over Sears.... the Craftsman warranty is
    > still safe..
    > Glenn

    This is a prime examply why you can never believe most of what you read on
    Usenet, ignorant asses like this posting totally incorrect information.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6509683/

    > A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

    Try a little knowledge next time, moron.

    I have been using Studio too and yes Premiere and for that matter
    Mediastudio(Ulead) is much better. All the assistance I have recieved from
    the Pinnacle forum is as good as any rep could give.
    I guess it is what you use it for,in my case its home movies although it
    allows editing of mpeg1/2. Don't get me wrong I would love to buy Premiere
    even tried a coverdisk demo but I use Avisynth/Virtualdubmod for special
    effects and cleaning up bad video.

    Terry
    http://mrtvideo.com

    In article <irg6r09p0jabqphh64pb8den7epc0s7iba@4ax.com>, Glenn M <>
    says...
    > Subject: Re: should I stick with Studio or switch to Premiere?
    > From: Glenn M <>
    > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    >
    > On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:17:19 GMT, Richard Ragon <bsema04@hananho.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >HAHAH.. This is kinda like when I have sales people tell me the words
    > >"lifetime warrantee".. I always ask, "Who's lifetime?, The product? Your
    > >companies lifetime?". They always chuckle, but when they see that I'm
    > >not laughing, its quickly followed by a awkward moment of silence.
    > >
    > >Hell even Sears looks like it's going to be gobbled up by KMart.. So
    > >what happens to all those Craftsmen tools with that lifetime warranty?
    > >

    > You got that backwards... KMart is being gobbled up by Sears... KMart
    > is in no position to take over Sears.... the Craftsman warranty is
    > still safe..
    > Glenn
    > A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

    Eventually all stores will be Walmart.