VPN kills internet connection

I'm desperate - if anyone can help I would greatly
appreciate it!

My company gave me VPN sw to install. The install appears
to go smoothly but when finished, I can no longer connect
to the internet. When I reboot my PC, the reboot never
seems to complete (the desktop appears but the clock is
frozen and the pointer remains an hourglass when on the
bottom bar). I can open applications such as Word but
can't get to the internet, and if I click on the VPN icon
and try to log in there, I get a "Create socket failed
10106" error.

Before the install I removed my McAfee firewall, and I've
tried turning off the ICF but it doesn't help. My OS is
Windows XP Pro. My IT dept. said I must use the sw rather
than creating the connection through XP's wizard.

Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about kills internet connection

    Hi Lois,
    Can't give you much more than some general pointers:
    - Uninstall the vpn software
    - Either enable the built-in ICF or re-install Mcafee's firewall. Don't run
    them both at the same time.
    Once you regained internet connectivity, create a restore-point (using
    start- help & support)

    Then re-install the vpn client.
    I don't know what brand the vpn client is, but it just may be that it has a
    built in firewall (Cisco's vpn client has ZoneAlarm built in for example)

    If the system remains unstable after this second install attempt, use start
    - Help & support, to roll back to the previously created restore point. This
    should get you back on the net again.

    Then go poke your IT guy in the eye :)

    Bye,
    Leo

    "Lois" wrote:

    > I'm desperate - if anyone can help I would greatly
    > appreciate it!
    >
    > My company gave me VPN sw to install. The install appears
    > to go smoothly but when finished, I can no longer connect
    > to the internet. When I reboot my PC, the reboot never
    > seems to complete (the desktop appears but the clock is
    > frozen and the pointer remains an hourglass when on the
    > bottom bar). I can open applications such as Word but
    > can't get to the internet, and if I click on the VPN icon
    > and try to log in there, I get a "Create socket failed
    > 10106" error.
    >
    > Before the install I removed my McAfee firewall, and I've
    > tried turning off the ICF but it doesn't help. My OS is
    > Windows XP Pro. My IT dept. said I must use the sw rather
    > than creating the connection through XP's wizard.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Leo - thanks for your response. I actually did use the
    system restore to get up and running. I'll check with IT
    about the VPN client having a built-in firewall - maybe
    that's the problem. The VPN is Contivity, which I think
    is Nortel?

    Thx again!

VPN Internet Connection Windows XP