VPN kills internet connection

I'm desperate - if anyone can help I would greatly
appreciate it!

My company gave me VPN sw to install. The install appears
to go smoothly but when finished, I can no longer connect
to the internet. When I reboot my PC, the reboot never
seems to complete (the desktop appears but the clock is
frozen and the pointer remains an hourglass when on the
bottom bar). I can open applications such as Word but
can't get to the internet, and if I click on the VPN icon
and try to log in there, I get a "Create socket failed
10106" error.

Before the install I removed my McAfee firewall, and I've
tried turning off the ICF but it doesn't help. My OS is
Windows XP Pro. My IT dept. said I must use the sw rather
than creating the connection through XP's wizard.

Thanks!

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

Hi Lois,
Can't give you much more than some general pointers:
- Uninstall the vpn software
- Either enable the built-in ICF or re-install Mcafee's firewall. Don't run
them both at the same time.
Once you regained internet connectivity, create a restore-point (using
start- help & support)

Then re-install the vpn client.
I don't know what brand the vpn client is, but it just may be that it has a
built in firewall (Cisco's vpn client has ZoneAlarm built in for example)

If the system remains unstable after this second install attempt, use start
- Help & support, to roll back to the previously created restore point. This
should get you back on the net again.

Then go poke your IT guy in the eye :)

Bye,
Leo

"Lois" wrote:

> I'm desperate - if anyone can help I would greatly
> appreciate it!
>
> My company gave me VPN sw to install. The install appears
> to go smoothly but when finished, I can no longer connect
> to the internet. When I reboot my PC, the reboot never
> seems to complete (the desktop appears but the clock is
> frozen and the pointer remains an hourglass when on the
> bottom bar). I can open applications such as Word but
> can't get to the internet, and if I click on the VPN icon
> and try to log in there, I get a "Create socket failed
> 10106" error.
>
> Before the install I removed my McAfee firewall, and I've
> tried turning off the ICF but it doesn't help. My OS is
> Windows XP Pro. My IT dept. said I must use the sw rather
> than creating the connection through XP's wizard.
>
> Thanks!

Leo - thanks for your response. I actually did use the
system restore to get up and running. I'll check with IT
about the VPN client having a built-in firewall - maybe
that's the problem. The VPN is Contivity, which I think
is Nortel?

Thx again!