REMOTE DESKTOP mmc snapin and non-standard port settings

August 30, 2004 8:45:31 PM

I recently found the REMOTE DESKTOPS icon in my administrative tools
via control panel after installing Windows 2003 Server Tools (or
whatever they call it these days). This program seems awesome and for
the type of work I do and the number of computers I am CONSTANTLY
connecting to, this is a great program. However, the problem I am
having is that about half the machines I connect to use non-standard
port settings...the default port is 3389 and, for example, I want to
connect to one with port 3390. In the MSTSC (terminal services
connection that comes by default with all XP machines) if I wanted to
connect to machine named machinea with a non standard port, I would
simply type in "machinea:3390" as the destination and it would go.
When I try to do the same in the REMOTE DESKTOPS it tells me I cannot
use characters such as space or : or the brackets...and I have dug
around all the options I can find and cannot find any port settings
sections.

Any help would be appreciated.

Below is the online microsoft help article giving an overview of the
program for those not yet familiar with it.

August 30, 2004 8:45:32 PM

I ran into the same problem this weekend. I wanted to use the Remote
Desktops to give me access to the console session on a windows 2003 server
(which has a different default port configured).

I found that you can type MSTSC /console
from a command line to bring up the standard remote desktop window but with
the console "flag" set (even though it is not on the screen). You can then
specify whatever port you want.

Would be very nice though if MS could remove the check for ":" and allow for
a port number in Remote Desktops.

Rob

"Information Scavenger" <likeIwantspam@no-way.com> wrote in message
> I recently found the REMOTE DESKTOPS icon in my administrative tools
> via control panel after installing Windows 2003 Server Tools (or
> whatever they call it these days). This program seems awesome and for
> the type of work I do and the number of computers I am CONSTANTLY
> connecting to, this is a great program. However, the problem I am
> having is that about half the machines I connect to use non-standard
> port settings...the default port is 3389 and, for example, I want to
> connect to one with port 3390. In the MSTSC (terminal services
> connection that comes by default with all XP machines) if I wanted to
> connect to machine named machinea with a non standard port, I would
> simply type in "machinea:3390" as the destination and it would go.
> When I try to do the same in the REMOTE DESKTOPS it tells me I cannot
> use characters such as space or : or the brackets...and I have dug
> around all the options I can find and cannot find any port settings
> sections.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Below is the online microsoft help article giving an overview of the
> program for those not yet familiar with it.

August 31, 2004 1:32:39 AM

Per a MS Post in the Term. Services group, this functionality is not
yet included in the MMC version...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:45:31 -0400, Information Scavenger
<likeIwantspam@no-way.com> wrote:

>I recently found the REMOTE DESKTOPS icon in my administrative tools
>via control panel after installing Windows 2003 Server Tools (or
>whatever they call it these days). This program seems awesome and for
>the type of work I do and the number of computers I am CONSTANTLY
>connecting to, this is a great program. However, the problem I am
>having is that about half the machines I connect to use non-standard
>port settings...the default port is 3389 and, for example, I want to
>connect to one with port 3390. In the MSTSC (terminal services
>connection that comes by default with all XP machines) if I wanted to
>connect to machine named machinea with a non standard port, I would
>simply type in "machinea:3390" as the destination and it would go.
>When I try to do the same in the REMOTE DESKTOPS it tells me I cannot
>use characters such as space or : or the brackets...and I have dug
>around all the options I can find and cannot find any port settings
>sections.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Below is the online microsoft help article giving an overview of the
>program for those not yet familiar with it.
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...

>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
September 1, 2004 12:39:50 AM

By "NOT YET" does this mean that they have plans to implement this in
the future? The snapin is so nice and I was so excited due to the
ease of switching between PC's quickly... :)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:32:39 -0500, "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)"
<jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote:

>Per a MS Post in the Term. Services group, this functionality is not
>yet included in the MMC version...
>
>Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>
>Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>be answered depending on time availability....
>
>Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>
>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:45:31 -0400, Information Scavenger
><likeIwantspam@no-way.com> wrote:
>
>>I recently found the REMOTE DESKTOPS icon in my administrative tools
>>via control panel after installing Windows 2003 Server Tools (or
>>whatever they call it these days). This program seems awesome and for
>>the type of work I do and the number of computers I am CONSTANTLY
>>connecting to, this is a great program. However, the problem I am
>>having is that about half the machines I connect to use non-standard
>>port settings...the default port is 3389 and, for example, I want to
>>connect to one with port 3390. In the MSTSC (terminal services
>>connection that comes by default with all XP machines) if I wanted to
>>connect to machine named machinea with a non standard port, I would
>>simply type in "machinea:3390" as the destination and it would go.
>>When I try to do the same in the REMOTE DESKTOPS it tells me I cannot
>>use characters such as space or : or the brackets...and I have dug
>>around all the options I can find and cannot find any port settings
>>sections.
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>Below is the online microsoft help article giving an overview of the
>>program for those not yet familiar with it.
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...

>>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

September 2, 2004 1:25:27 AM

I don't know.. But if enough people request it, then maybe... :)

http://www.microsoft.com/mswish

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:39:50 -0400, Information Scavenger

!