Tournament questions for the group

Hi-

I've been lurking a few days, getting the feel of the group.

I am considering taking over an i-cafe serving the Los Angeles, Glendale,
Pasadena California area. I haven't done much gaming as of late (waiting for
Doom 3!)

I've found i-cafe's quite useful while traveling in Europe (Spain and
Italy), and they certainly thrive there. But I was only interested in
checking email, and paid no attention to whether any gaming was going on.

But general opinion about the current and future of i-cafes here in the US
is that they are on the wane. Reasons being: many homes have pc's, broadband
is generally available, and personal preference: most Americans might prefer
to play at home. Also, email access at work, school, libraries, and using
cell phones, yadda yadda yadda.

So my questions are:

Do you play all your games at home?

Do you ever play tournaments at an i-cafe?

If an i-cafe were nearby, would you play in tournaments on a
weekly/monthly/occasional basis?

Hey, TIA for responding, I hope this isn't too OT.

--
-S-

Spithead <mahkol_chowryNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> So my questions are:
>
> Do you play all your games at home?

Yes

> Do you ever play tournaments at an i-cafe?

No

> If an i-cafe were nearby, would you play in tournaments on a
> weekly/monthly/occasional basis?

Yes occasionally, if it was cheap enough and there were girls serving on
roller skates and wearing obscenely short skirts ;-)

"Uzi Goes Blatt!" <knibble@dribble.com> wrote in message

> Spithead <mahkol_chowryNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > So my questions are:
> >
> > Do you play all your games at home?
>
> Yes
>

> > Do you ever play tournaments at an i-cafe?
> >

> No
>
> > If an i-cafe were nearby, would you play in tournaments on a
> > weekly/monthly/occasional basis?
> >

> Yes occasionally, if it was cheap enough and there were girls serving on
> roller skates and wearing obscenely short skirts ;-)

This could help increase our growth :eek:)

--
-S-

"Spithead" <mahkol_chowryNOSPAM@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi-
>
> I've been lurking a few days, getting the feel of the group.
>
> I am considering taking over an i-cafe serving the Los Angeles, Glendale,
> Pasadena California area. I haven't done much gaming as of late (waiting
for
> Doom 3!)
>
> I've found i-cafe's quite useful while traveling in Europe (Spain and
> Italy), and they certainly thrive there. But I was only interested in
> checking email, and paid no attention to whether any gaming was going on.
>
> But general opinion about the current and future of i-cafes here in the US
> is that they are on the wane. Reasons being: many homes have pc's,
broadband
> is generally available, and personal preference: most Americans might
prefer
> to play at home. Also, email access at work, school, libraries, and using
> cell phones, yadda yadda yadda.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> Do you play all your games at home?
>
> Do you ever play tournaments at an i-cafe?
>
> If an i-cafe were nearby, would you play in tournaments on a
> weekly/monthly/occasional basis?
>
> Hey, TIA for responding, I hope this isn't too OT.
>
> --
> -S-

I would if there was one nearby, and if there were other players aroud :)
But unfortionaly i live in a small place in The Netherlands :(

I guess I-net cafees are the best for travelers, but maybe they should try
to set up competitions in area's where there are a lot of players...

"Sjoerd Jump" <sjoerd@sjoerdjump.nl> wrote in

> "Spithead" <mahkol_chowryNOSPAM@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
>> Hi-
>>
>> I've been lurking a few days, getting the feel of the group.
>>
>> I am considering taking over an i-cafe serving the Los Angeles, Glendale,
>> Pasadena California area. I haven't done much gaming as of late (waiting
> for
>> Doom 3!)
>>
>> I've found i-cafe's quite useful while traveling in Europe (Spain and
>> Italy), and they certainly thrive there. But I was only interested in
>> checking email, and paid no attention to whether any gaming was going on.
>>
>> But general opinion about the current and future of i-cafes here in the US
>> is that they are on the wane. Reasons being: many homes have pc's,
> broadband
>> is generally available, and personal preference: most Americans might
> prefer
>> to play at home. Also, email access at work, school, libraries, and using
>> cell phones, yadda yadda yadda.
>>
>> So my questions are:
>>
>> Do you play all your games at home?
>>
>> Do you ever play tournaments at an i-cafe?
>>
>> If an i-cafe were nearby, would you play in tournaments on a
>> weekly/monthly/occasional basis?
>>
>> Hey, TIA for responding, I hope this isn't too OT.
>>
>> --
>> -S-
>>

> I would if there was one nearby, and if there were other players aroud :)
> But unfortionaly i live in a small place in The Netherlands :(
>
> I guess I-net cafees are the best for travelers, but maybe they should try
> to set up competitions in area's where there are a lot of players...

Hey,

My wife and I run a small cybercafe in Rotterdam The Netherlands.
It has about a dozen pc's, but for what revenous, we just can pay the bills
and somewhat on the side (what mostly gets put back in the business).

Said that, it's quite fun and a BIG HOBBY and most of the guys/galls whome
visit here are enjoying themselves.

Personnally I think that the time for profitable cybercafe's is gone and
you'll have to think twice before starting into the busines.

Keep fragging...

Arny

"Internetcafé OnlineSurprise" <onlinesurprise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey,
>
> My wife and I run a small cybercafe in Rotterdam The Netherlands.
> It has about a dozen pc's, but for what revenous, we just can pay the
bills
> and somewhat on the side (what mostly gets put back in the business).
>
> Said that, it's quite fun and a BIG HOBBY and most of the guys/galls whome
> visit here are enjoying themselves.
>
> Personnally I think that the time for profitable cybercafe's is gone and
> you'll have to think twice before starting into the busines.
>
> Keep fragging...

Arny -

Yes, thanks for your reply. Here, many are considering adding
Starbucks-style caffe services, copy machine and photo printing services,
arcade games and vending machines.

I went to visit one nearby. It appears to have a steady clientele; *most*
pcs have a body in front of them. I don't think the pittance charged for the
time is enough. And it is hard to justify charging much more.

--
-S-

I work in a LAN cafe in UK.

Gaming and Internet access arnt enough to make a protif on its own. Try to
find something else to offer yiour customers. Foood and coffee etc. We
sell PCs and accessories which brings in a lot of custom too.

Just for your information, look at a http://www.igames.org they can help you
a lot. Especilly with games licencing. Most of them are free, however,
Half Life and its mods are subject to a fee. $10 per month per machine.
Basically you'll need 1 copy of a game for each machine. One Exception is
Delta Force: Black Hawk Down. You just need 1 copy for all your machines.