Problem copying VCR VHS to Camcoder MiniDV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 6, 2004 12:38:05 PM

I am trying to copy from VHS tape on a VCR to MiniDV on a JVC GRD73
digital camcorder.

The hardware is connected with an analogue camcorder cable with the RCA
plugs plugged into a SCART adaptor with the switch set to OUT.

I have followed the JVC instructions and set the S/AV INPUT to ON.

A picture does appear on the camcorder but looks like a TV channel
slightly out of tune, no colour and distorted. When I tried to record
the camcorder says copying failed, the manual suggests the signal might
be copyguarded which should not be true in this case.
Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and how to solve it.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 4:02:40 AM

>I am trying to copy from VHS tape on a VCR to MiniDV on a JVC GRD73
>digital camcorder.
>
>The hardware is connected with an analogue camcorder cable with the RCA
>plugs plugged into a SCART adaptor with the switch set to OUT.
>
>I have followed the JVC instructions and set the S/AV INPUT to ON.
>
>A picture does appear on the camcorder but looks like a TV channel
>slightly out of tune, no colour and distorted. When I tried to record
>the camcorder says copying failed, the manual suggests the signal might
>be copyguarded which should not be true in this case.
>Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and how to solve it.

Is the original VHS tape PAL or NTSC? Is the camcorder PAL or NTSC? The
symptoms you describe sound like an attempt to record PAL on an NTSC
machine...or vice-versa (which is not physically possible).

If both source and recorder are PAL, was the camcorder purchased in the EU? If
so, it may have its recording (from line-level inputs) disabled...no matter
what the manual says.

Why do you believe the original tape is not "Copyguarded"? Is it a tape you
shot yourself with a camcorder or recorded off-the-air? If it is a commercially
produced tape (movie, etc) of any age or type, then it is almost certainly
equipped with Copyguard or Macrovision protection. Either one will prevent
recording under most circumstances (by garbling the signal in a way that can
permit it to look OK in the recorder's viewfinder, but still be unrecordable).

webpa
December 7, 2004 4:27:29 AM

The tape, VCR, and camcorder are all PAL.

The camcorder was purchased in the UK and is UK specification.

The original tape was recorded by my brother-in-law at a family wedding
on a PAL VHS tape.
!