Unable to accept remote assistance invitations ?

Hi All,
My geekiness is seriously dented :)
Here I am, offering to help a friend using Remote Assistance in a broad
sweeping gesture, and this is what I see in msn messenger:

<user's> invitation to start using Remote Assistance is declined because the
program is disabled or is not installed on your computer

I've used remote assistance a lot, also towards this particular friend.
The "only" difference is that I'm running SP-2 since the last time I used it.

I am running ICF as my (only) firewall, and remote assistance is checked in
the exceptions dialog.

Looking at the local services, I'm seeing Remote Desktop Help Session
Manager in state "not started" and startup-type "manual" I figure this is as
it is supposed to be.

Any pointers greatly appreciated !

Bye,
Leo
More about unable accept remote assistance invitations

    Tentative answer:
    KB article 555179
    The Windows XP SP2 Firewall Exception Remote Assistance
    does not include all of the settings required so that the
    Windows Firewall will allow the incoming Remote
    Assistance offers to be received.
    To receive Offers of Remote Assistance, the target
    (novice's) computer must accept incoming connections to
    sessmgr.exe, helpsvc.exe and on TCP port 135. By
    default, the Windows XP SP2 Windows Firewall feature
    blocks incoming connections to sessmgr.exe, helpsvc.exe
    and TCP port 135.

    go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=kb;en-us;555179&Product=winxp

    for more details.

    Note: I've modified the settings mentioned in the
    icf..but as yet haven't tested them.. check back to this
    post for updates....

    Leo

    Interesting--thanks for posting this.

    However, reading your original post and the KB article carefully, I don't
    see how it applies to your situation.

    This article is a peer-written article detailing additional exceptions
    needed on an XP workstation with the SP2 firewall enabled, to receive
    "Offered remote assistance."

    This is a somewhat different mechanism than "Solicited remote assistance."
    I believe you and your friend are doing "Solicited remote assistance."

    "Offered remote assistance" is only available within a domain, and the
    expert must be an administrator in that domain.

    If I am reading your original post correctly, you are the "expert" and are
    trying to initiate a remote assistance session in response to an invitation
    from your friend, the "novice."

    I don't see how the firewall is involved here at all--this is outbound
    communication at your end, once the invitation token is received.

    I wouldn't rule out something to do with SP2, however.

    The only thread I could Google on this error tends to make me believe (it
    wasn't fully resolved :( ) that this may be more related to the IM
    application than to XP or SP2.

    Can you pass the token (invitation) file a different way, as a test? Email?

    reinstalling the messaging app would be my suggested fix--and my fuzzy brain
    seems to feel that both the newest Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger might
    both be a good idea.

Windows XP