Local Resources availablity

dono

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003

When connecting remotely I select local resources (disk drive, Printers, and
serial ports). A security warning screen comes up next and indicates that it
will connect just the disk drives a,d the serial ports). I have followed
directions on #302361 and this has not changed anything.

Reading between the lines, I take it you are having a problem printing to a
local client-attached printer?

The dialog box will not name the printer redirection, but it should work.

What are you connecting to?

Have you checked the System event logs at the host to see whether there are
messages about the printer?

Is the driver for the printer available at the host machine?

"DonO" <DonO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When connecting remotely I select local resources (disk drive, Printers,
> and
> serial ports). A security warning screen comes up next and indicates that
> it
> will connect just the disk drives a,d the serial ports). I have followed
> directions on #302361 and this has not changed anything.

dono

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003

Yes, my problem is printing locally from client attached printer. I am
connecting to Win XP Pro. There are system event logs that indicate the print
driver is not available. I am downloading the HP5100 drivers for the Host
computer.

What confuses me is before I even connect to the Host. When I select the
local resources I check all three boxes. The next dialog box that pops up is
a security warning dialog. In that warning it says that connecting the disk
drives and serial ports is not secure. It doesn't indicate that it wants to
connect the printer.
"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> Reading between the lines, I take it you are having a problem printing to a
> local client-attached printer?
>
> The dialog box will not name the printer redirection, but it should work.
>
> What are you connecting to?
>
> Have you checked the System event logs at the host to see whether there are
> messages about the printer?
>
> Is the driver for the printer available at the host machine?
>
> "DonO" <DonO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When connecting remotely I select local resources (disk drive, Printers,
> > and
> > serial ports). A security warning screen comes up next and indicates that
> > it
> > will connect just the disk drives a,d the serial ports). I have followed
> > directions on #302361 and this has not changed anything.

I can see the reason for your confusion. This is always an issue with
security dialogs. In the case of RD, the printer port redirection is on by
default. I guess this is not considered to be a security risk, perhaps
because only printer drivers will be connected to it at the host end.
Anybody ever seen whether a bugbear infected host LAN or PC will spew paper
out of an RD client connected printer? Still--just a waste of paper, not a
security hazard.

So--I think they are only mentioning the connections that they consider to
be possible security hazards in the dialog. I'm not sure why serial ports
are included, but perhaps because some types of security devices are
connected to them?

Your desired mode of operation would be: Check off an item in Local
Resources, and be warned about it in the ensuing dialog. Pretty reasonable,
but not the mindset of the security folks. I had a similar critique of the
SP2 Security Center. I thought that the stuff at the bottom of the security
center dialog should be parallel (in a logical sense) to the three items at
the top. That wasn't how the designers were thinking.

So, for better or worse, the best indication about the port redirection is
from the event logs at the host machine--admittedly not a place many remote
desktop users think to look.

> Yes, my problem is printing locally from client attached printer. I am
> connecting to Win XP Pro. There are system event logs that indicate the
> print
> driver is not available. I am downloading the HP5100 drivers for the Host
> computer.
>
> What confuses me is before I even connect to the Host. When I select the
> local resources I check all three boxes. The next dialog box that pops up
> is
> a security warning dialog. In that warning it says that connecting the
> disk
> drives and serial ports is not secure. It doesn't indicate that it wants
> connect the printer.
> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> Reading between the lines, I take it you are having a problem printing to
>> local client-attached printer?
>>
>> The dialog box will not name the printer redirection, but it should work.
>>
>> What are you connecting to?
>>
>> Have you checked the System event logs at the host to see whether there
>> are
>> messages about the printer?
>>
>> Is the driver for the printer available at the host machine?
>>
>> "DonO" <DonO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When connecting remotely I select local resources (disk drive,
>> > Printers,
>> > and
>> > serial ports). A security warning screen comes up next and indicates
>> > that
>> > it
>> > will connect just the disk drives a,d the serial ports). I have
>> > followed
>> > directions on #302361 and this has not changed anything.

And I can virtually guarantee that the 5100 works on remote desktop
redirection as we have that printer at the office (love the ledger
size printing... )

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:15:02 -0700, "DonO"