Remote desktop from XP SP2 to Windows 2003 Server

I have a Windows 2003 server on a remote site which I currently dial into
from an XP pro box using a modem. I have RRAS configured on the server.
Prior to installing Windows XP SP2 on my XP Pro laptop, I could then connect
to the server using Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Client.
Since installing SP2 on my machine, I can dial in to and ping the 2003
server but even with ICF disabled, I cannot remotely connect to the server
using either Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Client.

I have tested connecting to my Windows 2003 server from an XP box with SP1
installed and it is fine. I have also tested connecting to a Windows 2000
server via dial in and Terminal Services Client on my machine with XP SP2
installed and this also works.

There appears to be a conflict between XP SP2 and Windows 2003 remote desktop.

When I try to connect via remote desktop after successful dial up
authentication, no traffic goes over the dial up connection and it reports
that Network Problems could possibly be preventing the connection.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1. Are you able to ping the server?
2. You can check whether you are able to communicate to the remote desktop
port by using the command:
telent servername 3389.

Try to do by IP address if the above ones fail by name. Let me know what
happened.

--
Thanks
Chetan

"Lorimerc" <Lorimerc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Windows 2003 server on a remote site which I currently dial into
> from an XP pro box using a modem. I have RRAS configured on the server.
> Prior to installing Windows XP SP2 on my XP Pro laptop, I could then
> connect
> to the server using Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Client.
> Since installing SP2 on my machine, I can dial in to and ping the 2003
> server but even with ICF disabled, I cannot remotely connect to the server
> using either Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Client.
>
> I have tested connecting to my Windows 2003 server from an XP box with SP1
> installed and it is fine. I have also tested connecting to a Windows 2000
> server via dial in and Terminal Services Client on my machine with XP SP2
> installed and this also works.
>
> There appears to be a conflict between XP SP2 and Windows 2003 remote
> desktop.
>
> When I try to connect via remote desktop after successful dial up
> authentication, no traffic goes over the dial up connection and it reports
> that Network Problems could possibly be preventing the connection.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Yes I am able to ping the server. When I telnet the server by IP address
however I get Could not open connection on Port 3389.

I think I have solved the problem though, I have ISA Server Firewall Client
installed, when I disable this, I can Telnet on 3389 and connect via remote
desktop.

On my other Windows 2000 servers though, I can connect no problem via a dial
in and Terminal Services connection with the Firewall Client enabled, as I
could with my 2003 server using remote desktop before XP SP2 was installed.

Thanks,

Chris

"Chetan Raghavendra [MSFT]" wrote:

> 1. Are you able to ping the server?
> 2. You can check whether you are able to communicate to the remote desktop
> port by using the command:
> telent servername 3389.
>
> Try to do by IP address if the above ones fail by name. Let me know what
> happened.
>
> --
> Thanks
> Chetan
> chetanra@online.microsoft.com

> "Lorimerc" <Lorimerc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Windows 2003 server on a remote site which I currently dial into
> > from an XP pro box using a modem. I have RRAS configured on the server.
> > Prior to installing Windows XP SP2 on my XP Pro laptop, I could then
> > connect
> > to the server using Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Client.
> > Since installing SP2 on my machine, I can dial in to and ping the 2003
> > server but even with ICF disabled, I cannot remotely connect to the server
> > using either Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Client.
> >
> > I have tested connecting to my Windows 2003 server from an XP box with SP1
> > installed and it is fine. I have also tested connecting to a Windows 2000
> > server via dial in and Terminal Services Client on my machine with XP SP2
> > installed and this also works.
> >
> > There appears to be a conflict between XP SP2 and Windows 2003 remote
> > desktop.
> >
> > When I try to connect via remote desktop after successful dial up
> > authentication, no traffic goes over the dial up connection and it reports
> > that Network Problems could possibly be preventing the connection.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks

The ISA client shouldn't be affecting this if you can get through via
SmartNAT (which is what ISA referrs to when you do not user the
firewall client)...

You might want to pop this query on a ISA specific newsgroup to see if
there is any known interactions between SP2 and ISA...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 08:09:03 -0700, "Lorimerc"