Firewall (Access List) ports and Remote Assistance -- Plea..

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody else has run into this issue. We have a call
center here that is locked down from the rest of the corporation. They have
an cisco access list in place. I need to install Remote Assistance (Not
Remote Desktop) to work with these people so I opened port 3389. I still
cannot connect to these people. I know the issue resides with the network
because when using Remote Assistance on the same subnet there was no issue.

Do I need to open any other ports? When I run sysinternals tcpview it
appears it opens a few random ports initially to sync.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about firewall access list ports remote assistance plea

    The problem might be at the call centers firewall, they might have the
    outgoing ports blocked.

    We have run into that situation with Terminal Server, A computer on One
    network could not access our terminal server because their Cisco router was
    set up to block all but port 80 outgoing.

    --
    Don't have the need for a full time IT staff, Contact Sean.
    For all of your IT needs SCD@ourfamilyzoo.net.

    Is this "Offered Remote Assistance" within a domain?

    If so, this KB article relating to the SP2 firewall may have useful
    information for you:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555179

    "Chris Henderson" <please@dont.ask.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was wondering if anybody else has run into this issue. We have a call
    > center here that is locked down from the rest of the corporation. They
    > have an cisco access list in place. I need to install Remote Assistance
    > (Not Remote Desktop) to work with these people so I opened port 3389. I
    > still cannot connect to these people. I know the issue resides with the
    > network because when using Remote Assistance on the same subnet there was
    > no issue.
    >
    > Do I need to open any other ports? When I run sysinternals tcpview it
    > appears it opens a few random ports initially to sync.

    Whoops - meant to add more:

    Offered remote assistance is different from the usual Solicited remote
    assistance where you send an invitation or token to the support staff, and
    they use that invitation to respond.

    Offered works only within a domain, and the expert must be an
    administrator--no invitation is needed.

    So--if you aren't doing this specialized form of Remote Assistance, that
    article probably won't help.

    "Chris Henderson" <please@dont.ask.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was wondering if anybody else has run into this issue. We have a call
    > center here that is locked down from the rest of the corporation. They
    > have an cisco access list in place. I need to install Remote Assistance
    > (Not Remote Desktop) to work with these people so I opened port 3389. I
    > still cannot connect to these people. I know the issue resides with the
    > network because when using Remote Assistance on the same subnet there was
    > no issue.
    >
    > Do I need to open any other ports? When I run sysinternals tcpview it
    > appears it opens a few random ports initially to sync.

    Thanks very much Bill, I think this would apply. I will try getting the
    network guys to open up port 135.

    Chris

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    > Whoops - meant to add more:
    >
    > Offered remote assistance is different from the usual Solicited remote
    > assistance where you send an invitation or token to the support staff, and
    > they use that invitation to respond.
    >
    > Offered works only within a domain, and the expert must be an
    > administrator--no invitation is needed.
    >
    > So--if you aren't doing this specialized form of Remote Assistance, that
    > article probably won't help.
    >
    > "Chris Henderson" <please@dont.ask.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I was wondering if anybody else has run into this issue. We have a call
    >> center here that is locked down from the rest of the corporation. They
    >> have an cisco access list in place. I need to install Remote Assistance
    >> (Not Remote Desktop) to work with these people so I opened port 3389. I
    >> still cannot connect to these people. I know the issue resides with the
    >> network because when using Remote Assistance on the same subnet there was
    >> no issue.
    >>
    >> Do I need to open any other ports? When I run sysinternals tcpview it
    >> appears it opens a few random ports initially to sync.

    It appears Remote Assistance uses a lot more ports that Microsoft lets on.

    Chris

    > Thanks very much Bill, I think this would apply. I will try getting the
    > network guys to open up port 135.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    >> Whoops - meant to add more:
    >>
    >> Offered remote assistance is different from the usual Solicited remote
    >> assistance where you send an invitation or token to the support staff,
    >> and they use that invitation to respond.
    >>
    >> Offered works only within a domain, and the expert must be an
    >> administrator--no invitation is needed.
    >>
    >> So--if you aren't doing this specialized form of Remote Assistance, that
    >> article probably won't help.
    >>
    >> "Chris Henderson" <please@dont.ask.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I was wondering if anybody else has run into this issue. We have a call
    >>> center here that is locked down from the rest of the corporation. They
    >>> have an cisco access list in place. I need to install Remote Assistance
    >>> (Not Remote Desktop) to work with these people so I opened port 3389. I
    >>> still cannot connect to these people. I know the issue resides with the
    >>> network because when using Remote Assistance on the same subnet there
    >>> was no issue.
    >>>
    >>> Do I need to open any other ports? When I run sysinternals tcpview it
    >>> appears it opens a few random ports initially to sync.

Firewalls Windows XP