Wireless Software, which one to use?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
October 20, 2004 6:45:42 PM

I have purchased a 3COM wireless router and pcmcia card and was wondering if
I should disable Wireless Zero Configuration in services and use the 3COM
software that came with the card or use both the Windows XP SP-2 wireless
and 3COM wireless software at once.

More about : wireless software

October 20, 2004 6:45:43 PM

You are really only using one or the other. If you enable the "use windows
to configure my wireless network settings" checkbox, then you are using the
WZC service. If you uncheck this box you are using the software that came
with your card. Try each one and note any performance differences, then use
the best choice. Some cards work better using their own software and some
work better using the WZC service.

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>I have purchased a 3COM wireless router and pcmcia card and was wondering
>if I should disable Wireless Zero Configuration in services and use the
>3COM software that came with the card or use both the Windows XP SP-2
>wireless and 3COM wireless software at once.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 20, 2004 6:45:43 PM

I use a 3 com ADSL router and PC cards with the 3 com software, it works
fine. Haven't tried the WINXP software but 'why fix it if it ain't broke?'
Any differences I think would be imperceptible for practical purposes.

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>I have purchased a 3COM wireless router and pcmcia card and was wondering
>if I should disable Wireless Zero Configuration in services and use the
>3COM software that came with the card or use both the Windows XP SP-2
>wireless and 3COM wireless software at once.

Related resources
October 20, 2004 6:45:44 PM

Hi

If the manufacturer clearly states that the hardware is compatible with
WinXP WZC you might as well go with WCZ (AS an Example: Buffalo Tech. States
so.)

However some of the Wireless Stuff is sloppy and the manufacturer might not
bother to make sure that their Hardware/Software is compatible with WCZ.

So you try WCZ and if it is not working you do not know why, you call the
manufacturer support and they would tell you that they support their stuff
and not Windows OS. You call Microsoft and would try to help but you can not
hold them account to every manufacturer follies.

Before you know it you would feel like you are in Limbo.

My policy in lack of clear statement is to start with the manufacturer stuff
and make sure that the Hardware is in working condition. If it does not work
the manufacturer have to make it work, or RMA the hardware since you are
using their Hardware/Software solely. Once it is working you can try to
switch to WCZ, and as said above choose what seems to work best for you.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote in message
> You are really only using one or the other. If you enable the "use windows
> to configure my wireless network settings" checkbox, then you are using
the
> WZC service. If you uncheck this box you are using the software that came
> with your card. Try each one and note any performance differences, then
use
> the best choice. Some cards work better using their own software and some
> work better using the WZC service.
>

> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> >I have purchased a 3COM wireless router and pcmcia card and was wondering
> >if I should disable Wireless Zero Configuration in services and use the
> >3COM software that came with the card or use both the Windows XP SP-2
> >wireless and 3COM wireless software at once.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 21, 2004 1:40:48 AM

One thing I would add - always update to the latest firmware and drivers
before deciding if there is a problem.

A lot drivers that had initially buggy releases have been updated and the
newer ones typically work better.

--
Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

"Jack" <www.ezlan.net&gt; wrote in message
> Hi
>
> If the manufacturer clearly states that the hardware is compatible with
> WinXP WZC you might as well go with WCZ (AS an Example: Buffalo Tech.
> States
> so.)
>
> However some of the Wireless Stuff is sloppy and the manufacturer might
> not
> bother to make sure that their Hardware/Software is compatible with WCZ.
>
> So you try WCZ and if it is not working you do not know why, you call the
> manufacturer support and they would tell you that they support their stuff
> and not Windows OS. You call Microsoft and would try to help but you can
> not
> hold them account to every manufacturer follies.
>
> Before you know it you would feel like you are in Limbo.
>
> My policy in lack of clear statement is to start with the manufacturer
> stuff
> and make sure that the Hardware is in working condition. If it does not
> work
> the manufacturer have to make it work, or RMA the hardware since you are
> using their Hardware/Software solely. Once it is working you can try to
> switch to WCZ, and as said above choose what seems to work best for you.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote in message
>> You are really only using one or the other. If you enable the "use
>> windows
>> to configure my wireless network settings" checkbox, then you are using
> the
>> WZC service. If you uncheck this box you are using the software that came
>> with your card. Try each one and note any performance differences, then
> use
>> the best choice. Some cards work better using their own software and some
>> work better using the WZC service.
>>

>> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> >I have purchased a 3COM wireless router and pcmcia card and was
>> >wondering
>> >if I should disable Wireless Zero Configuration in services and use the
>> >3COM software that came with the card or use both the Windows XP SP-2
>> >wireless and 3COM wireless software at once.

October 22, 2004 3:30:20 AM

The reason I ask is that I had a Linksys WAG54G router and WPC54G PCMCIA and
with the wireless card in the laptop it would disconnect several times a day
and getting it reconnected was a mission and ending sometimes with the
router being powered off then on, so I gave up with Linksys and brought the
3Com 11g firewall router and the wireless card went all day without
disconnection until my phone rang and it would disconnect then it starts
searching and connecting again without too much fuss, so I have improved
somewhat with the new hardware, strange it didn't do this with the Linksys
but I guess it's take the good with the bad, since it only happens with 50%
of incoming calls with the cordless phone.

"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>I use a 3 com ADSL router and PC cards with the 3 com software, it works
>fine. Haven't tried the WINXP software but 'why fix it if it ain't broke?'
>Any differences I think would be imperceptible for practical purposes.
>
> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>I have purchased a 3COM wireless router and pcmcia card and was wondering
>>if I should disable Wireless Zero Configuration in services and use the
>>3COM software that came with the card or use both the Windows XP SP-2
>>wireless and 3COM wireless software at once.

October 22, 2004 3:30:21 AM

I use ALL Dlink cards and wireless router, and my phone doesn't effect my
network at all. In fact I get the reverse. I hear static on my cordless
phone from the router. The closer the phone is to the router, the louder the
static. Sometimes the static is so strong, I have to unplug the router to
use the phone.

> The reason I ask is that I had a Linksys WAG54G router and WPC54G PCMCIA
> and with the wireless card in the laptop it would disconnect several times
> a day and getting it reconnected was a mission and ending sometimes with
> the router being powered off then on, so I gave up with Linksys and
> brought the 3Com 11g firewall router and the wireless card went all day
> without disconnection until my phone rang and it would disconnect then it
> starts searching and connecting again without too much fuss, so I have
> improved somewhat with the new hardware, strange it didn't do this with
> the Linksys but I guess it's take the good with the bad, since it only
> happens with 50% of incoming calls with the cordless phone.
>

> "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>I use a 3 com ADSL router and PC cards with the 3 com software, it works
>>fine. Haven't tried the WINXP software but 'why fix it if it ain't
>>broke?' Any differences I think would be imperceptible for practical
>>purposes.
>>
>> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>>I have purchased a 3COM wireless router and pcmcia card and was wondering
>>>if I should disable Wireless Zero Configuration in services and use the
>>>3COM software that came with the card or use both the Windows XP SP-2
>>>wireless and 3COM wireless software at once.

October 22, 2004 9:31:12 PM

Only if we can find the perfect wireless router, the world would be a better
place

!