Cannot connect to remote compter, need help troubleshooting

lloyd

First off, the settings are right on the remote computer. I can connect to
it from other PCs just fine. Mine will not connect though. The firewall that
XP has is off, but I can't ping the IP or ANY other domain name for that
matter. I also cannot telnet the IP either.

I just had my cable modem installed and the techie turned on the XP firewall
without me knowing. Is there anything else that would keep me from
connecting RD and pinging locations other than the firewall? I am trying to
connect RD through the internet. Any thoughts?

--
Lloyd

Lloyd:

Do I have this correct?

You've a remote machine which is enabled for Remote Desktop, and you are
able to connect to it from other machines, proving that it is configured
correctly, and that you know the correct IP address or DNS name.

I take it these connections are also across the Internet, just as yours will
be when you get it working (You will!)

There's no need to turn the XP firewall off on the host machine--just be
sure that Remote Desktop is enabled as an exception through it--this is a
checkbox in both the SP1 and SP2 firewalls.

Now--you are sitting at home, with a newly installed cable modem ISP
connection.

Can you bring up web sites in a browser? Does Internet-based Email work for
you?

When you say that you cannot ping either by IP or name, this sounds like
your Internet connectivity isn't correct yet.

The XP firewall at your home (client) location shouldn't interfere in any
way with outbound connections to another machine.