remote desktop web access

September 2, 2004 1:23:04 PM

I have a home network with internet access via ICS. I want to access PCs on
this network from the internet using the remote desktop web access.

I can use the remote desktop web access locally at home but when I go to an
external PC on the web while I get the intial web page from
http://pcname/tsweb when I enter the name or the IP address of a PC on my
home network I get either "the specified remote computer could not be
found......" or "The client could not connect to the remote computer. remote
connections might not be enabled...."
This is the case even if the PC I am identifying is the one actually
displaying the remote desktop web access page.

I note in the event viewer (system) a number of entries of type 'remote
access' saying "unable to contact a dhcp server.... the automatic private
address will be assigned to dial-in clients". I wonder whether this
significant?

ICS is assigning IP addresses to the private network PCs. Should ICS also be
assigning addresses to the remote desktop web access PC?
--
Victor
Anonymous

Victor--see the thread a couple messages away (later) from this one,
entitled:
"Very, Very, odd problem"

In addition to the advice in that thread, I'd recommend setting incoming
connections to give out a range of 4 fixed IP addresses, in the same subnet
as those used by ICS, but outside the range of those given out by that
mechanism.

"gadya" <gadya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a home network with internet access via ICS. I want to access PCs on
> this network from the internet using the remote desktop web access.
>
> I can use the remote desktop web access locally at home but when I go to
> an
> external PC on the web while I get the intial web page from
> http://pcname/tsweb when I enter the name or the IP address of a PC on my
> home network I get either "the specified remote computer could not be
> found......" or "The client could not connect to the remote computer.
> remote
> connections might not be enabled...."
> This is the case even if the PC I am identifying is the one actually
> displaying the remote desktop web access page.
>
> I note in the event viewer (system) a number of entries of type 'remote
> access' saying "unable to contact a dhcp server.... the automatic private
> address will be assigned to dial-in clients". I wonder whether this
> significant?
>
> ICS is assigning IP addresses to the private network PCs. Should ICS also
> be
> assigning addresses to the remote desktop web access PC?
> --
> Victor
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 1:23:02 PM

Bill,
I'm afraid I don't understand!
There are two scenarios.

1. Using the browser in the public library I aim at my Web Remote Desktop
page on the ICS gateway machine (using its external IP address). IIS on the
Gateway brings up the remote desktop web page. I want to instruct IIS to use
Remote Desktop on "this machine" i.e. the same machine on which IIS and ICS
is running. How do I specify this? If I use its name or its address,
internal or external) it fails me.

2. Again, using the browser in the public library I aim at my Web Remote
Desktop page on the ICS gateway machine (using its external IP address). IIS
on the Gateway brings up the remote desktop web page. This time I want to
control a machine on my private network behind the ICS gateway.

In this scenario I understand you to be suggesting that I use Jeffrey
Randow's new web page to connect to my ICS gateway and provide it with a new
port no - say 3390 - having added a new Service Setting in broadband port,
properties, advanced, settings, services, add. This setting I have specified
as external port 3390, internal port 3389, and an internal IP address of my
target PC on the local network.

3.
- I don't have a router just ICS and its accompanying firewall.
So I don't have any entity to do this " I'd recommend setting incoming
connections to give out a range of 4 fixed IP addresses, in the same subnet
as those used by ICS, but outside the range of those given out by that
mechanism 192.168.0.0 (255.255.255.0)"

4. I went back to the library today to have another shot with J. Randow's
new web page. To my surprise I got the message "Remote Desktop Web Connection
ActiveX control could not be installed. A connection cannot be made without a
working installed version of the control. Please contact the server
administrator."
I note that this message does not appear in the source of the original web
page. So perhaps the ActiveX control was not being installed yesterday but
there was no indication of this and the connect button was not grayed out.

Even if this is the source of the problem I am still eager to understand
points 1 2 and three.

Victor

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> Victor--see the thread a couple messages away (later) from this one,
> entitled:
> "Very, Very, odd problem"
>
> In addition to the advice in that thread, I'd recommend setting incoming
> connections to give out a range of 4 fixed IP addresses, in the same subnet
> as those used by ICS, but outside the range of those given out by that
> mechanism.
>

> "gadya" <gadya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a home network with internet access via ICS. I want to access PCs on
> > this network from the internet using the remote desktop web access.
> >
> > I can use the remote desktop web access locally at home but when I go to
> > an
> > external PC on the web while I get the intial web page from
> > http://pcname/tsweb when I enter the name or the IP address of a PC on my
> > home network I get either "the specified remote computer could not be
> > found......" or "The client could not connect to the remote computer.
> > remote
> > connections might not be enabled...."
> > This is the case even if the PC I am identifying is the one actually
> > displaying the remote desktop web access page.
> >
> > I note in the event viewer (system) a number of entries of type 'remote
> > access' saying "unable to contact a dhcp server.... the automatic private
> > address will be assigned to dial-in clients". I wonder whether this
> > significant?
> >
> > ICS is assigning IP addresses to the private network PCs. Should ICS also
> > be
> > assigning addresses to the remote desktop web access PC?
> > --
> > Victor

September 4, 2004 12:31:46 AM

Per question 1: Leave the servername blank.. This will instruct the
web client to contact the same host that served the web client page.

2. Unless you have forwarded the other machines to alternative ports,
then you won't be able to do this. You can only access servers that
have public facing "open" ports. That is what you are describing in
the 2nd paragraph.

3. You can manually assign theses IP addresses to the other computers
(making sure you set your DNS Server and Gateway to the IP Address of
the ICS server) without having to use the ICS DHCP service.

4. Unless you have the client already installed, you would need to
have admin priveleges on the computer to install the activeX control.
The two pages use the same web client - only the modified version is
available at http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/tsweb and the
original is at http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/tsweb2

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 09:23:02 -0700, "gadya"
> [...]

>> > http://pcname/tsweb when I enter the name or the IP address of a PC on my
>> > home network I get either "the specified remote computer could not be
>> > found......" or "The client could not connect to the remote computer.
>> > remote
>> > connections might not be enabled...."
>> > This is the case even if the PC I am identifying is the one actually
>> > displaying the remote desktop web access page.
>> >
>> > I note in the event viewer (system) a number of entries of type 'remote
>> > access' saying "unable to contact a dhcp server.... the automatic private
>> > address will be assigned to dial-in clients". I wonder whether this
>> > significant?
>> >
>> > ICS is assigning IP addresses to the private network PCs. Should ICS also
>> > be
>> > assigning addresses to the remote desktop web access PC?

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 3:07:10 AM

Looks like #4 is going to be a problem.

I think Jeffrey's covered 1--just hit enter, and it should work.
and 2--use the modified web page and port forwarding.

3)--ICS is a router, and the usual settings are exposed in the firewall
dialogs--this is slightly confusing. The firewall dialogs allow you to both
open ports in the firewall, and forward traffic on those ports to specific
machines--not just the machine ICS is running on.

I realize 4 may be a gotcha for your intended use, but if you want to
understand the rest of it--test from a 3rd site where there won't be
controls on activex, etc--a friends house, perhaps.

> [...]
>> > my
>> > home network I get either "the specified remote computer could not be
>> > found......" or "The client could not connect to the remote computer.
>> > remote
>> > connections might not be enabled...."
>> > This is the case even if the PC I am identifying is the one actually
>> > displaying the remote desktop web access page.
>> >
>> > I note in the event viewer (system) a number of entries of type 'remote
>> > access' saying "unable to contact a dhcp server.... the automatic
>> > private
>> > address will be assigned to dial-in clients". I wonder whether this
>> > significant?
>> >
>> > ICS is assigning IP addresses to the private network PCs. Should ICS
>> > also
>> > be
>> > assigning addresses to the remote desktop web access PC?

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 6:27:01 AM

Thanks to you both.

Clearly the public library PC is locked down and I can't change the security
settings to allow it to install the activeX control. So I will have to find
somewhere else. I should then be able to understand better how things work.

I feel the Msoft documentation could be more explicit

Victor!

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> [...]
> > administrator."
> > I note that this message does not appear in the source of the original web
> > page. So perhaps the ActiveX control was not being installed yesterday but
> > there was no indication of this and the connect button was not grayed out.
> >
> > Even if this is the source of the problem I am still eager to understand
> > points 1 2 and three.
> >
> > Victor
> >

> > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
> >
> >> Victor--see the thread a couple messages away (later) from this one,
> >> entitled:
> >> "Very, Very, odd problem"
> >>
> >> In addition to the advice in that thread, I'd recommend setting incoming
> >> connections to give out a range of 4 fixed IP addresses, in the same
> >> subnet
> >> as those used by ICS, but outside the range of those given out by that

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 8:21:08 PM

It's a challenge:

Microsoft excels at making some very complex software look simple--and be
controlled by simple settings.

The documentation is often (and probably needs to be!) correspondingly
simple--it doesn't go into all the possible details about what may break and
why.

There are starting to be some pretty good "troubleshooting thus and such" KB
articles, and peer-support forums like this one are pretty good sources of
information.

I think if the docs went into all the possible reasons something like RD can
fail to operate between two end nodes, many folks would simply skip that
feature, without finding that for many, this really is pretty simple to do.

The library has done the right thing to protect their users (and perhaps
what they consider to be proper use of the time on their machines.) It's
too bad it breaks your intended use, but at least you know more about the
technology, so you got some learning out of the experience.

!